Gdt--asu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gdt--asu

Just read the stats for the game. SDSU shot 33.3% for the game.....23.1% from long range, 3-13. Not good! But.....they shot OK from the line, 70% for the game. The were 90% the first half but only 57.9% the second half in free throws. Arizona State wasn't much better from the field..only 39% for the game but hit 6-12 from beyond the arc.
    When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

The trend of crappy offense has happened enough times this season to lead me to come to some conclusions - #1 - The talent level is not what everyone thought it was - nobody has shown the ability to create their own shot. #2 - Either the offense is not being run the way it should be,or it is ill-designed for the players we have. #3 - The heart and soul of this team went out the door with Ketty and Maria - no one has shown any willingness to step up and lead this team either vocally or by example. Won't see my first game of the season in person until Saturday,but have watched every home game on Jackrabbit Extra and there is something missing that needs to be corrected or it will be a long season. ASU gave the team every opportunity to win this game, and time and time again they could not take advantage.

Comment

The 3-point shooting has completely evaporated. Rotert has totally disappeared. Macie isn't 100% physically. Young is about 2 inches too short to be able to carry the team.

The underclassmen will need to step up, I'm afraid.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I am willing to cut Macie some slack - she isn't back to full strength physically,and you could tell by the way she sounded at the post-game presser that she is battling respiratory problems. She at least stepped up and admitted they need to practice and play harder - Jill looked like she was going to cry.

Comment

By far the worst game I've witnessed at Frost by our WBB program since the move to DI. An absolute abysmal performance all around, players and coaches alike. No leadership and downright awful play by upperclassmen, the inability by our point guards to even get the ball across halfcourt efficiently, missed layups, unforced turnovers, head scratching substitution patterns and rotations. And if that wasn't bad enough, here comes the stat of the night: 5 FG's made the last 29:26 of action. Yep...that's right...5 f'ing made baskets from the 9:26 mark of the 1st half till the end of the game. I was gonna go with the 4 to 22 assist to turnover ratio...judgement call on my part.
            Last edited by jacks1; 12-17-2010, 12:33 AM.
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I listened to the game on the radio,and I was thinking to myself,.... when are they going to score a basket?.....How long's it been since they've scored a bucket?.....Sure seems like a long time since we've scored.
              Arizona State tried to give us the game, but we refused to take it.
              We have a hard time scoring for some reason this year.Very perplexing to say the least.All the free throws we got is the only reason we kept ourselves in the game.
              We never get a decent shot early in the time clock,it's alway's pass til it's deflected & stolen or put up a bad shot with no time left,or travel,or throw it away,or set a moving screen,or commit an offensive foul away from the ball,or whatever, pick your poison.
              Can't get into a flow with the offense because of all the momentum killing turnovers.
              Seems like no one wants to take a shot,what's up with that?
              Is substituting players so much a good or bad thing?
              When we're behind,we just can't let them get an offensive rebound on a missed shot,not when we were fortunate enough they missed to begin with.We just can't,if we want to close the gap,besides,they usually make it the second time.
              We have long stretches during the game where we don't score,and they eventualy pull out in front.This is a problem with this team,we need scorers,badly.
              This team seems overly afraid to miss a shot,probably because we're always behind in scoring and we really can't afford to miss too many.This puts more pressure on the player and they really can't shoot nice and relaxed.If we ever got a comfortable lead in a game,I think the players could relax a little more and I think the shooting would improve tremendously.
              I'd like to see a game once,if the shots are falling, to really pour it on,instead of trying to get too cute with all the un-necessary passing,til the opposition comes out too challenge,then do the screens,pick& rolls ,give & go's & stuff.Always involve Sunnarborg and ,of late, Lingle (3-3 fg) in the mix too.They all need to lose the inhibitions & become more assertive and aggressive in thier play.
              Let's re-group and salvage whats left of the season.
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-17-2010, 03:54 AM.

Comment

To some on this board the sky was falling last season too when the Jacks started with a 5-6 record. People were barking for leadership as well just like people are this year. I'm not saying we're going to win 20 or more games, we could, but my point is that I feel there is enough there for us to be a very good team.

In her post game interview ASU's coach talked about (I'm paraphrasing here) how each year is a new year and players fit into certain roles and how her team is still a ways away from being really good, but she feels they are 2 to 3 weeks away from being a good offensive team. She feels they can be one of the top teams in the country this year. Maybe we aren't going to be a top team in the country, but we certainly will be getting better.

Comment

The last two posts by jackdaniel and jamesjacks have very valid points. As much as I wanted to vomit last night after the game...it was just that, one game. The only thing that matters is to be playing your best come March...and the Summit Tourney still goes through this team IMO. Let's stun the Hawkeyes on Saturday and get this thing back on track.

GBGBGJ
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I share in the frustrations with everyone but I think the panic button is unnecessary. Certainly we are missing having a lineup loaded with veteran talent like we had last year. The cupboards are a long way from bare but there are a number of new players in the mix that haven't adjusted, become comfortable, stepped up, or whatever you want to call it.

Last night was rough. I've never seen so many shots that far off the mark. Twice we missed two free throws only to be given a break via line violation and then missed the third. AJ can't do much about that stuff. He does need to find a way to get some cohesiveness on offense. It has been a struggle quite obviously. The turnovers are a concern but historicly we've been a team that turns it over too much but also a team that hits a lot of threes so it evened out. The three ball is a struggle right now. Defensively I thought we were okay. The effort was there. Give ASU credit for doing our homework on knowing how to get us out of our game.

Some historical perspective. We are averaging 20.2 turnovers for the year which is a lot and a stat that needs to come down. Last year we averaged 18.8 and the year before that it was 15.9. Nobody is going to argue that we weren't good teams the last two years and the TO average isn't wildly different. Shooting percentages are another thing entirely.

A LOT OF SEASON LEFT. We may learn more about AJ as a coach than any other year since we don't have dominant talent. The blueprint on how to beat us is clearly out there. We are going to see a steady diet of full court pressure and packing it in on Sunnaborg until we start beating people that play us that way. It is his job to make the adjustments. You can see his frustration on the sideline. No doubt they are working on things in practice but it hasn't translated into the game. So far this season we have been outplayed in several games which is something new. He's the coach so he gets the blame. That's the gig. LET ME BE CLEAR, I'm not down on AJ. That is how a coach earns his keep. My money is on this team turning things arund and having a good season in conference. Bettng against AJ is a bad bet.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Right now the Lady Jacks have a lot of good players. That is it. Over the past few years there has always been someone to step in and fill the void left by departing senior leaders. They have always had one or two players who you could count on for a big bucket. Right now it seems like they have nothing but role players. They need someone to step up and I am not sure if that someone exists. They will do just fine in conference play, but right now this team is not quite be what we have come to expect. They will still be a 2 or 3 seed for the conference tourney and will have a fighting chance to make the big dance from our wonderful Arena in SF.

Comment

Originally posted by Hartford108 View Post
                        Right now the Lady Jacks have a lot of good players. That is it. Over the past few years there has always been someone to step in and fill the void left by departing senior leaders. They have always had one or two players who you could count on for a big bucket. Right now it seems like they have nothing but role players. They need someone to step up and I am not sure if that someone exists. They will do just fine in conference play, but right now this team is not quite be what we have come to expect. They will still be a 2 or 3 seed for the conference tourney and will have a fighting chance to make the big dance from our wonderful Arena in SF.
                        Nice 1st post...but don't call 'em the Lady Jacks

Comment

From what I've seen, the general lack of athleticism (quickness, speed, explosiveness) is too much to overcome unless the outside shots are falling at a very high rate.

If the 3's are not falling this team has no chance against anyone near the top 50. They don't have the backcourt athletes to slash to the basket and create. They also don't have anything close to a dominant presence on the inside. Furthermore, we seem to have lost much of the intangible "killer instinct" with the departure of last year's seniors. That does not leave much - the outside shots HAVE to fall.

To truly compete at a higher level we need some higher-level athletes and I'm just not sure how many you'll ever find recruiting SD and MN.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                            From what I've seen, the general lack of athleticism (quickness, speed, explosiveness) is too much to overcome unless the outside shots are falling at a very high rate.

If the 3's are not falling this team has no chance against anyone near the top 50. They don't have the backcourt athletes to slash to the basket and create. They also don't have anything close to a dominant presence on the inside. Furthermore, we seem to have lost much of the intangible "killer instinct" with the departure of last year's seniors. That does not leave much - the outside shots HAVE to fall.

To truly compete at a higher level we need some higher-level athletes and I'm just not sure how many you'll ever find recruiting SD and MN.

Recruiting in SD and Mn has been ok in the past. Now that we are having a slow start its not good enough? I trust AJ knows what he is doing. We'll turn it around.

Comment

I feel the difference is last year, there were players who we knew could and should be stepping up and they did, this year I can not say the same thing. When the season started, I said this team is going to go the way Rotert goes, I was hoping for more consistancy from others but Sunny is every other game good, Rotert is a mystery, Young I dont feel has stepped up once this year. MVP so far this year I am leaning towards Lingle.
                              I thought Edie would be ready to step into that spot of extra offense along with Palauch but never consistancy from game to game. It seems this team is a way from really figuring anything out. I am going to say right now. We might not even finish top half of confrence this year. I feel we will lose a lot of road games this year that this team is too good to lose. This team is not the team from years ago, I will not change my mind until this team steps up to prove me wrong, and by gosh I hope they do.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X