Achilles heal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achilles heal?

Does anyone else think we will have any dificulty,with Macie injured, with bringing the ball up the court against a pressure defense?
    We had a turnover problem last year, but i think we may have left that problem behind.
    Still, i know teams will exploit any perceived weakness,so hopefully we are equipped to handle any type of pressure defense.
    I'm a firm believer in making your opponent work hard & earn thier points they score against us.I really hate to see them get anything "easy"
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-02-2010, 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling error

Re: Achilles heal?

While there is never a good time for an injury or a good time to be missing a player, I think that this is about as good a situation as the Jacks could have had. Being able to practice and play exhibition games without Macie should allow the staff and players to adapt. IMO, this would have been a much bigger blow to the team had it happened in season. Plus, she will have a few games to get ready for the meat of the conference schedule.

Any injury, while hurting in the short term, can sometimes be benificial to a team's delevopment.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      While there is never a good time for an injury or a good time to be missing a player, I think that this is about as good a situation as the Jacks could have had. Being able to practice and play exhibition games without Macie should allow the staff and players to adapt. IMO, this would have been a much bigger blow to the team had it happened in season. Plus, she will have a few games to get ready for the meat of the conference schedule.

Any injury, while hurting in the short term, can sometimes be benificial to a team's delevopment.
      Agree,just guilty of being "overly" worrysome (sp?) again.

Comment

IMO the problems that this team had last year were mainly due to their youth. The ladies have all grown up and will not be overwhelmed by the situation any longer.

I believe that we will see a very different team this year than we did last season. I am excited to see that we have two or three gals that will drive the ball and look to score more than pass. We have a group of very talented wings that can play inside if the need be. And, as always, we have the 3pt shooting to keep teams from sagging on our bigs.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Macie is a wonderful point guard. If she's back to full health/speed, she has the experience, and smarts to be very effective.

I would prefer to view the early part of this season as an opportunity for the NEXT PG to develop and show her own strengths and grow with her other FR/RFr/So classmates. Heiser/Eide should be the leads at this. I'm not a coach, but IMlowO, Jill Young isn't the barnburning defensive firecracker for PG. Jill is a fabulous offensive weapon, especially when she's clicking from tre zone.

There are new faces, and some members that have been key reserves that will be stepping into starter roles. IMHO, this team will more closely resemble the 06-07 success and style (Megan's senior season) than that of last year. Rotert is the key player, and she has a similar supporting cast to what Megan had.

JMU will be a GREAT test. Jacks need to use the UVU game to work through kinks and get this pre-season tourney victory in the 2nd round. If Purdue isn't a double winner, Jacks will host all the way to the championship, assuming Jacks win all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            I would prefer to view the early part of this season as an opportunity for the NEXT PG to develop and show her own strengths and grow with her other FR/RFr/So classmates. Heiser/Eide should be the leads at this. I'm not a coach, but IMlowO, Jill Young isn't the barnburning defensive firecracker for PG. Jill is a fabulous offensive weapon, especially when she's clicking from tre zone.
            Agree that Jill is better suited at the wing, but she's doing just fine at the point. Eide is a wing too and has not played point yet in the exhibition games so I am not sure that's an option for the team. Don't forget about Paluch.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
              Agree that Jill is better suited at the wing, but she's doing just fine at the point. Eide is a wing too and has not played point yet in the exhibition games so I am not sure that's an option for the team. Don't forget about Paluch.
              The downside of trying to follow from Bourbon St. I have a tendency to see things through a blur. (or is that the internet feed???)

Should be another wonderful WBB season.

I would like to point out that Summit has 3 teams in mid-major WBB top 25, 2 in, and 1 ARV. Appears that league is bringing their game up to SDSU performance rather than SDSU dropping to their level. Sure, SUU and Centenary will drag down RPI, but if there are 3 teams under 100, the top Summit team should be able to make top 40.

Comment

I don't see much of a problem here. Yes Macie is a needed factor in bringing the ball up court but I think that Paluch is more than capable of doing the job. Macie at times tends to get a little bit out of control when trying to hard. At times last year she also had problems with the press. I wouldn't put Jill in the point, she is better when she can set up, get the ball and shoot, bringing the ball up court doesn't allow her to do that. Paluch and Macie are fine, Haven' seen enough of Heiser to make an opinion yet but I'm sure with more game time experience she will be able to do it. But hey I ain't a coach so whatever AJ decides is fine with me. Just my 2.45 pesos

Comment

We may not have Macie for the start of the season but we have Kristin Rotert who will go down as one of the greatest players ever at SDSU, and she is ready to go this year.

People, don't forget about Heiser, at the top of the list for SDSU in last years class. She is a very capable guard who can handle the pressure.

Big Season ahead!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
                    ...we have Kristin Rotert who will go down as one of the greatest players ever at SDSU...
                    If she averages around 18 pts/gm she'd end up in the 1,500-1,600 career point range...depending of course how far we go in the NCAA tourney . That will certainly put her in elite company.
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                      If she averages around 18 pts/gm she'd end up in the 1,500-1,600 career point range...depending of course how far we go in the NCAA tourney . That will certainly put her in elite company.
                      Not to mention all-time 3 pt shooter (possibly 290 for career) and around 500 rebounds.

Comment

Kristin had 635 points at the end of her soph season.Jill had 610.I see both these players go quite a way up the career scoring list.Kristin has been a scoring machine last year at 416 pts.She should top that this year.I'd like to see Jill get back to her freshman form when she scored 346.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
                          Not to mention all-time 3 pt shooter (possibly 290 for career) and around 500 rebounds.
                          Her scoring ability is unquestioned. Hoepfully I don't get flames for this but one thing I want to see out of Kristen is cutting down on turnovers. She seemed to make quite a few silly turnovers last year that really drove AJ nuts. She's a senior and I would expect that to tighten up. A minor issue with one of the best ever to wear an SDSU uniform. We can all improve right?

Getting back to the thread. I think we have people that can handle the point effectively. Others have eluded to the timing being good. This team is very athletic and very deep. Getting some players experience at the point early in the year will pay off big down the road when we need to contain a strong point guard on the other team. Macie is a very good point guard. Some of the ladies that will fill in for her are better athletes that may be better defensively.

Looking forward to getting the season going!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

For the record Macie is not at all healthy or maybe that is the best that foot injury is going to get. She puts no pressure on that foot in the games I have seen her and never pushes off it either. If you watch the video tape listed below and it is not fun to watch, just focus on her in the highlights and you will see what mean.

I am not cutting her down, because it is an injury, but she is no good to us this season. I hope I eat my words, but she is hurt!!!!!

http://www.goblueraiders.com/section...mensbasketball

Comment

This team lacks options. If Sunnaborg and Rotert are not scoring, Maybe Jill can step up and be a big scorer, but we I feel are lacking multiple scoring threats like we have had years past. Confidence seems to be a problem also. Those are the areas I am concernced about.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X