a "pre" preseason look...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a "pre" preseason look...

i was going over the upcoming schedule this past weekend. this is how i breakdown things---at this time.

WNIT: i see the jacks going 2-1 (i think the 3rd game will be a road game---making it a difficult win).

non-conference: 4-5
    conference: 14-4
    season total: 20-10

home: 11-3
    road: 9-7

here's a few of the things i will be looking for:

1. TO's-huge problem last year. i expect that to improve this year.
    2. need consistent post play both ends of court. i think this will be a huge factor.
    3. Waytashek: just going by what i have read/heard, this player has a lot of potential. the question is, how long does it take for her to adjust to the college game? if she CAN step right in, that would be huge for the jacks.
    4. Eide, Paluch and Heiser: would like to see one of these players really "shine" this season.

if these things happen, no doubt the jacks can put themselves in great position for a 3rd trip to the ncaa's.

anyway, just some quick observations---before football season really revs up.

Re: a "pre" preseason look...

I think you might be overly cautious in you're predictions.Considering, with all our "turnover" problems,and giving so much playing time to the development of the younger players (which should pay off this year),we were 21-10 reg season last year ,won ORU,lost OKLA post season finishing 22 -11 for a "down" year.We had Sunnarborg ,who showed vast improvement going from 78 pts scored(fr yr) to 250 last yr,ready to go get her 1000 pts for her carreer the next two yrs, I believe.We had an excellent recruiting class.Eide ,Paluch,Heiser ,Dietel ready to shine , Lingle has potential to be like Sunnarborg, once she figures it all out.Jill & Kristin will be rock solid.The only question is Macy, if she's back to form,don't look for us to lose 10 games again this year , it should only be about 1/2 that.....I say 26-5 or better(31 game season)
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 08-18-2010, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I'll say 24-7 regular season record. I love the competitiveness of the non-conference schedule again this year. We will once again be tested, and it will pay off again during the Summit League tournament just like the last two years.

Random thoughts...
      Michelson's health will be a big key for us. If she's ready to go 100% we will be a much better team. Not only because she's good, but because of depth. I believe Paluch and Heiser can and will do a nice job at the point as well. Paluch got some valuable experience last year. Showed a nice pull up jumpshot. It's going to be fun to see Heiser on the floor.
      I look for Rotert to be the closest thing we have to a "go-to" type player. She can do a little bit of everything. Showed the willingness to take some big shots last year.
      I like the potential of Sunnarborg inside. She had some huge games last season. Look for her to be more consistent at both ends of the floor this year.
      Dietel will be a solid player, no doubt. She had some shining moments until the injury then came back with a strong performance in the NCAA game. We could see a nice duo with these two (Sunnarborg) starting this year.
      Schuttloffel adds toughness to the team. I like how she carved a spot for herself when she got the chance last year. Productive player without having to fill up a stat sheet.
      Lingle can be effective against other team's bigs. I think getting some experience last year will help her this year.
      Young will be instrumental once again with her three point shooting. What a weapon she is! I look for 40% + three point percentage from her.
      Eide's slashing style of play makes her an offensive weapon. She had some shining moments last season, and I expect we'll see even more this year.
      That leaves our freshmen. I'm excited to see them in uniform, contributing, and making a difference this year.

Comment

Has Kristin Rotert gone over the 1000 point mark already? I went thru the archives of the past 3 years of stats & added up each yr & come up with 1,051 at this time.I know Maria was presented a basketball to mark her reaching 1,000 pts before one of the games last yr.Just never heard of anything, or perhaps i missed it. Anyway, look for Kristin to go way up on the all-time scoring list if she's already at a thousand with her whole senior season left.

Comment

I think she went over 1000 during the tournament, so they couldn't really do anything during the game for her.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            I think she went over 1000 during the tournament, so they couldn't really do anything during the game for her.
            Yes, Ms. Rotert is over 1K for her three seasons. So, at OK, we had 3 1000 pt players playing.

Comment

Sun, Oct 31 St. Cloud State (Minn.) [exhibition] Frost Arena 2 p.m.
              Thu, Nov 04 Bemidji State (MInn.) [exhibition] Frost Arena 7 p.m.

2010 Preseason WNIT
              Fri, Nov 12 Utah Valley Frost Arena 7 p.m. W
              Sun, Nov 14 - Mon, Nov 15 WNIT Second Round (if qualified) Frost Arena TBA W (JMU)
              Wed, Nov 17 - Thu, Nov 18 WNIT Semifinals (if qualified) TBD TBA L (@ PURDUE)
              Fri, Nov 19 - Sat, Nov 20 WNIT Consolation Quadrant TBD TBA
              Sun, Nov 21 WNIT Championship TBD TBA

Wed, Nov 24 Illinois State Frost Arena 7 p.m. W
              Sun, Nov 28 Middle Tennessee State at Murfreesboro, Tenn. TBA W
              Tue, Nov 30 Kansas State at Manhattan, Kan. TBA W
              Sat, Dec 04 North Dakota State * Frost Arena TBA W
              Tue, Dec 07 Washington State at Pullman, Wash. TBA W
              Sat, Dec 11 Northern Iowa at Cedar Falls, Iowa TBA W
              Thu, Dec 16 Arizona State at Frost Arena 7 p.m. L
              Sat, Dec 18 Iowa Frost Arena 7 p.m. W
              Mon, Dec 20 Utah State at Logan, Utah TBA L
              Wed, Dec 29 Southern Utah * at Cedar City, Utah TBA W
              Fri, Dec 31 UMKC * at Kansas City, Mo. TBA W
              Tue, Jan 04 Arkansas-Little Rock at Little Rock, Ark. TBA L
              Sat, Jan 08 Oral Roberts * at Frost Arena 5 p.m. W
              Mon, Jan 10 Centenary (La.) * Frost Arena 7 p.m. W
              Sat, Jan 15 IUPUI * at Indianapolis, Ind. TBA W
              Mon, Jan 17 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill. TBA W
              Sat, Jan 22 IPFW * Frost Arena 5 p.m. W
              Mon, Jan 24 Oakland (Mich.) * Frost Arena 7 p.m. W
              Sat, Jan 29 Southern Utah * Frost Arena 5 p.m. W
              Mon, Jan 31 UMKC * Frost Arena 7 p.m. W
              Sat, Feb 05 Centenary (La.) * at Shreveport, La. TBA W
              Mon, Feb 07 Oral Roberts * at Tulsa, Okla. TBA L
              Sat, Feb 12 Western Illinois * Frost Arena 5 p.m. W
              Mon, Feb 14 IUPUI * Frost Arena 7 p.m. W
              Sat, Feb 19 Oakland (Mich.) * at Rochester, Mich. TBA L
              Mon, Feb 21 IPFW * at Fort Wayne, Ind. TBA W
              Sat, Feb 26 North Dakota State * at Fargo, N.D. TBA W

Summit League Basketball Championship

SUMMIT 16-2 FIRST PLACE SEED.
              OOC 9-4

25-6 Regular season, win through the Summit (need to keep Kevi & Co to the WNIT again).

if Purdue gets knocked off before Jacks would need to go there in the WNIT Pre-season, look for the Jacks to play in the Title game. Anybody but Mo St wins the other half of the Bracket, Jacks could be hosting all the WNIT games to the title.

AZ St/IA at Frost - I would be surprised if Jacks win both of these, but by the same token, I'd be surprised if Jacks lose both. IMHO UALR will be the tougher team (than MTSU) this year in the Sunbelt. IL St. should be a revenge game for beating there last year.

RPI 35-50, and Jacks get at large invite to NCAA, if don't win the Summit Tourney.

Comment

According to this sight,the jacks are a top 100 basketball program, just missing top 50 at # 51.It's intresting to see where some of our OOC opponents are also.
                Here's link...http://www.swishappeal.com/2010/8/20...-in-division-i

Comment

Working...
                X