Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season opener tonight in California vs Fresno St
    I am not really sure what to expect this year
    also we will have some all time greats making their last opening starts today.
    I believe that Jocelyn Carillo and Lindsey Culver are playing their final season. Glanzer and Halvorsen were also in that class, but no longer here.

the rest of our amazing group of seniors, TK, Roz C, Emma O, Cheyanne, Tori T, maybe one or two i am forgetting will have the option of returning next year I am all but positive.

I have not seen anything to give any hints about the starting lineup, but it seems safe that TK will probably pitch the opener, but i do not know anything about our opponents this weekend, so i guess there could be a strategic reason to hold TK back

It is all but impossible to imagine any scenario where Roz, Jocelyn, Emma, and Lindsey are not starting tonight unless one or more are injured, but i have not heard about any injuries. it seems most likely that, somehow already juniors, Mia J and Brooke D will also be in the starting lineup. that said, I believe we brought in multiple catchers since last year. still, unless one of the new catchers is set to become one of the next all time greats, I have to believe that the #1 catcher job is Brookes, unless she gives it away

so my guess-

P- TK
    C- Brooke D
    1b- A Williams

Boyle started more games at first than anyone last year, but hitting stats were average at best and Williams was pretty easily one of our top 5 hitters

2b- Jarecki
    3b- absolutely no idea

Cheyanne could get the first shot at it being a senior. two years ago she was one of our best hitters. last year she seemed lost at the plate for the entire year. did they find a way to get back the player from two years ago? otherwise this seems like one of the most likely positions for us to see a new starter

SS- Roz
    LF- Lindsey C
    CF- Jocelyn
    RF- Emma O
    DH- no idea
    lots of possibilities- A Williams, Brooke, pretty much anyone else on the roster. I am hoping that one of the new roster members was brought in specifically with this spot in mind. someone like a Kelsey Lenox who is just here to hit, but obviously it is fine if we have for instance a 4th great OF and we want to use DH to rotate position players a lot and maybe give them a little rest from the field. whoever we put at DH, I hope they actually live up to the hitting part of the position. last year sometimes it felt like we sometimes put players here just to keep them in the lineup even when they were not hitting at all

Lindsey was a SS her first year and played mostly second before last year, so i can imagine they could try her at 3b if they have another OF whose bat they want to get into the lineup. Jarecki, Dumont, and Williams also have some positional flexibility. so it is possible we see old faces in new places, but i am calling this my best guesses. DH biggest question. 1b and 3b are the next biggest question marks and the places we are most likely to see a new starter / someone who has played only a small amount before or never taken a swing for the Jacks in a real game. C is the next biggest question. even if Brooke is the #1 catcher all year it seems likely that another player gets plenty of time behind the plate. it is also possible they keep Brooke in the lineup but use her at DH or 1b or another position

I believe in the past Coach Mc has like to play the speed and running game. last year we were NOT a good bunting team. i also really do not believe the players she inherited are suited to being a bunting team, but if she wants to play that game, maybe we have a new speedster who will bat leadoff this year? in that case, you would either have a good bunter batting second and probably Roz and Mia in some arrangement in 3 and 4 spots, or you just go with Mia #2

i hope we will not see Mia, Roz, and Jocelyn giving away too many at bats with bunt attempts. Excited to see what the team looks like and hopefully we have a new face or two who are ready to help this great group of older players to get past the regional round

before we get into the conference season we will get games with preseason #4 Florida St, preseason top ten Duke, preseason #s 11 and 12 Oklahoma St and Arkansas (with former Jackrabbit Cylie Halvorsen) I believe we have players with the talent to play with those teams

You have your research down LGR!!! I live in California and 2 hours earlier than the Midwest. I decided to check the possibility of a result against Fresno St. Jacks win 20-8. There wasn’t any more additional info on GoJacks!! Great to see a win over a big school.

Comment

well, I have no idea if Fresno is supposed to be good or not? anyone have any info?

hitting looked great. TK was solid but not spectacular. umpire had a strike zone that seemed to be smaller than the catchers glove. from the innings i watched both TK and the Fresno pitcher had LOTS of close pitches called balls. maybe i am wrong but i thought the strike zone vs the Jacks got a bit bigger after we got up by a lot. not really a complaint. personally i would not mind if the strike zone got bigger for both teams if one team is ahead by a lot.

i was happy to see two true freshman in the starting lineup, DH and 1b for anyone who was interested but did not get to watch. they seemed to do a solid job. DH starter, Barnard, moved to the mound to start the 5th. it was late and i had a couple things that HAD to be finished, so i did not pay as close of attention at that point since we were up 12-3. i cannot, therefore, say how she looked, but she did allow 4 runs in the inning. the boxscore is not up yet on gojacks, but we did have another freshman pitch in the 6th. the stats on the Fresno site are obviously wrong so i am not sure the final pitching stats

TK went 4 innings did have 4 walks, like i said the ump had a tiny zone. i think she might have lost a little focus when we were up 9-0. she only allowed 2 hits

BY FAR the biggest surprise and take away, for me, was Jarecki batting in the 9 hole. you could argue she was our best hitter last year and not be wrong at all. i am beyond shocked to see her move from batting leadoff all year last year to the 9 hole for the first game this year. I will leave it at that. as i mentioned in the preview, i could imagine her not leading off. she is not at all a prototypical leadoff hitter. Barnard DHing and leading off did have 2 hits, both triples, and walked 3 times. GREAT start for her!!! fully expected if we could get a leadoff hitter in, we would see Mia somewhere between 2 and 5.

Emma O back in the 2 hole, 2 walks and 2 hits. Emma seems to have one long HOTTTTT streak every year and one long cold streak. hopefully this is the year for no long cold streaks!!

Roz one hit, a double, and a walk. hit the ball hard twice that i saw but once right at someone

Jocelyn smoked a double and another hit, also had a walk

Gentry, the other freshman starter, a single and a walk, good start for her also. Boyle batted for her in the 5th and CRUSHED a line drive hit the opposite way in her only AB

Culver came to the plate 3 times got on 3 times. a walk, a double, and a single that she smoked the opposite way. Williams batted for her in the 5th and worked a walk

Dumont 2 for 5, a single a double and destroyed a ball to left center that the LF made an outstanding play to rob her of at least a double. hopefully game one 2024 will be the end of Roz and Brooke smoking the ball and getting robbed or hitting it directly at someone. both of them had a career full of that last year

Masterson and Jarecki at the bottom of the order both had a walk and a hit. Masterson had a perfect bunt for her hit. Bollen batted for Cheyanne late and got on via HBP

double header tomorrow. interested and excited to see what the lineups are and if we can keep the bats rolling

GREAT GREAT start!!

Comment

I watched just briefly last night. I noticed I could see the Fresno State pitchers breath, so it must have been chilly. I wonder how that affects them?

Comment

Fresno State is ranked fourth preseason in the mountain west conference behind San Diego State, Boise State, and Colorado state of the nine team conference. So they are not expected to be slouches!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 73alum View Post
            Fresno State is ranked fourth preseason in the mountain west conference behind San Diego State, Boise State, and Colorado state of the nine team conference. So they are not expected to be slouches!!!
            thank you 73! that give a bit of context and makes the dominant victory a bit more impressive. the Jacks are definitely going to be tested in the OOC schedule. i also think the summit is going to be a bit tougher this year. it will be interesting to see how the other schools do OOC

Comment

TK back in the circle for game one today

Lineup is exactly the same as yesterday except Alexa Williams starts at 1b instead of Gentry and hits in the same spot in the order. everyone else in the same spot in the order

Comment

Jacks are the home team playing Santa Clara in Fresno.

Top of 1 Santa Clara 3up 3 down 3 Ks by TK

Comment

TK strikes out 5 through 2 innings
                  1 walk Dumont throws her out trying to steal second

Comment

Jacks score a run in the 3rd

apparently after Culver batted in the second, I believe she Kd, we moved Culver from LF to DH and moved Leadoff batter and DH Barnard from DH to LF

seems VERY VERY ODD you would move your LF to DH after two innings. it will be interesting to see if we ever get an explanation, or if Culver even comes to bat again today. seems pretty likely that an injury is part of the story

Comment

well, i am not sure i trust the live game updates, but apparently Culver went back to LF

also Williams walked her second AB. pinch runner, then Boyle entered for the pinch runner and played 1b in the top of the fifth

Jacks with only two hits thru part of the fifth, both by Emma O

Comment

TK still in the circle in the top of 6. given up one hit and one BB, struck out 10 thru 5

at bat the jacks have just the two hits. 8 Ks, 3 BB
                        two Ks each for Jocelyn and Brooke D
                        Roz, Emma O, A Williams the only Jacks with at least 2 ABs and no Ks

Comment

Santa Clara 3 up and 3 down in top of 6
                          no more Ks for TK

Emma leading off for the Jacks in bottom of 6

Comment

well here is the first example this year of what i believe is very bad strategy
                            Emma leads off with a walk
                            we take the bat out of Roz hands and have her bunt. i dont think Roz has struck out yet this year. maybe she had one yesterday. but she made good contact yesterday and no Ks so far today. if she gets just a little good luck and the ball finds a hole Emma goes first to third. then we have a runner on 3b with no outs where you can score without a hit

if you have a runner on second with no outs, bunting is a good strategy! they can score from 3b without a hit. but giving up an out to move them to second gets you nothing. you still need a hit to score them. and it makes the least sense when you are asking your best hitters to bunt instead of giving them a shot to hit the ball to the fence

btw of course Emma was stranded at second when neither Jocelyn or Boyle got a hit

i honestly do not believe we scored a single run last year by bunting a runner from first to second where they would not have scored anyway, meaning they scored when another hitter hit an extra base hit which would have scored them anyway even without the bunt

Comment

TK strikes out all 3 batters in the top of 7. game over!

Jacks win 1-0

TK complete game 7 innings 1 hit 1 BB 13 Ks

Comment

Working...
                              X