Postseason 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postseason 2023

Not gonna make a big thing of it, but the post season awards seem a little confused
    Did they focus on stats from conference play? or the whole season?

There was no clear cut favorite for POY
    seems a little strange though to have it be the player with the 7th best overall OPS in the league and from the fourth place team
    hopefully that means McDonald wont be overlooked for baseball POY since he is leading the league in WAY more categories than Sainz did in softball (obviously different sport but i think his injury which sounds to be season ending from coaches update, or likely season ending, will be the final nail in the POY conversation)

i dont know how much lobbying, if any??, coaches, SIDs, do for their players, but feel like Jacks support could have been divided between TK, Jocelyn, and Mia, and maybe even a bit for Roz

it just feels like with no clear position player that the award very likely should have gone to TK
    she was without question the single most dominant player in the conference. you could say pitchers dont play every game, but how many position players singlehandedly won even a single game for their team??

given the run support she got, it is fair to say that TK singlehandedly or FAR closer to it than any other player in the league won at least a handful of games

for crying out loud in just one weekend against the second best team in the league she pitched almost 24 innings and got the win in ALL THREE games

anyway it seems strange. i think Sainz is DEFINITELY a good player, but i think there are also several other players equally deserving. they could really only justify this by focusing ONLY on conference stats. but if you do that then TK was FAR FAR FAR and away the most dominant player.

if you look at overall stats, you could make an argument that Meyer from UNO is close to TK. and truly, she probably is. she is an incredible pitcher!!! but if you use conference only stats she is CLEARLY behind TK

ANYWAY, Congrats to all TEN Jacks who were honored and to all the players from all the teams

the Jacks have multiple players
    Roz, Brooke, A Williams whose offense appears to be ascending at the moment

others
    Joc, L Culver, Yoder, and Mia who have been playing well or better for somewhere between a long time and all year

hopefully those players can maintain their trend or find even a higher level for the postseason and hopefully the post season can be a fresh start for those who have been struggling

Well, that is not what you want to have happen

if you did not watch the game, i am sure it will be replayed on midco MANY times. the REAL problem in this game was our offense, which has been the problem all year

BUT in the bottom of 7 all three outs were on Ks on called strikes on the left hand batters box side of the plate. if you watch the whole game, you tell me if TK was getting corners called like that. Even Elsen was questioning the lack of corners

i give the coyotes credit. they were not going to swing unless they were forced to OR the pitch was really where they wanted it to be. and if our offense had done ANYTHING, that strategy would not have worked for them. they got multiple walks which never hurt. they got only 2 hits on the day but they were in the same inning (top of 6) and the second one was a HR

i am sorry but we have 10 girls on the roster with more than 50 AB this year
    of those 10 Alexa Williams is second for the whole season in OPS, Slugging, and On Base %
    for the last 20 team games (basically the conference portion of the season) she LEADS THE TEAM in OPS and Slugging and is 3rd in On Base %

Williams was not in the lineup today
    i am NOT, truly not!!!! trying to call any players out. i think everyone of them is a great kid. i have heard nothing but great things about this group!!! but you should also expect that the best hitters are getting the most at bats

especially on a team that has unquestionably struggled on offense this year, ANYONE who does not see that is trying NOT to look.

and yet in the championship tournament the team leader in OPS and Slugging for the last 20ish games does not play. even more in the 7th inning we pinch hit for a hitter who is having an atrocious season hitting wise (again wonderful kid. but the stats are very clear she has been a terrible hitter this entire season) did we take this, at least, as an opportunity to get one of our best hitters an AB in a big game??

NOPE, we pinch hit someone who has had FOUR ABs in the last 20 games
    i am just not sure how that makes any sense

and in the last 20 games (just looking at the 10 hitters who have had more than 50 AB for the year)
    the players who are EIGHTH and NINTH in the three MOST INFORMATIVE offensive stats- OPS, Slugging, and On Base %
    have started every single game

Alexa who is in our top 3 hitters in basically any category except number of ABs has started only 12 of the last 20

YOU ALL have seen enough of my posts on here. YOU KNOW i am opposed to focusing on negative things

and i really am not trying to do that here either
    I am trying to focus on the fact that Alexa Williams has been one of the best hitters on our team
    and Brooke Dumont is crazy talented and even though she has struggled this year she is STILL one of our best 7 hitters

we are now in the most important games of the year. the statistical samples are not going to get any bigger. we need to have our best hitters in the lineup

looking at the last 20ish games
    OPS- which is the total of slugging % (measuring total bases / number of at bats) and On Base % (measuring the number of times getting a hit or a walk / number of plate appearances)
    OPS is almost universally recognized as the most informative offensive statistic

again looking just at the last 20 games
    OPS
    Alexa W- 1.231 (leads the team)
    Brooke D- .734
    player A- .673
    player B- .477
    player C- .317 lowest among our 10 players with more than 50 AB

Slugging %
    Alexa W- .759 (leads the team)
    Brooke D- .345
    player A- .302
    player B- .323
    player C- .125 lowest among our 10 players with more than 50 AB

On Base %
    Alexa W- .472 (third on the team behind the Carillo sisters) started 11 of 18 conference games, which includes today
    Brooke D- .389 started 12 of 18 conference games
    player A- .371 started 18 of 18 conference games
    player B- .220 started 18 of 18 conference games
    player C- .192 lowest among our 10 players with more than 50 AB

one more comment regarding Brooke. she has had a difficult year. she has definitely hit plenty of hard balls directly at people but, whatever the case the hitting has not been up to her normal standard (over a .500 career batting average in 4 years of high school. and team played in the championship game all 4 years so her stats include the maximum number of games possible against the best teams in the state. and had an excellent year last year as a true freshman)

but the hitting talent is still obvious
    again just in the conference season Brooke has walked 7 times. tied for 4th. BUT Joc 10 BB, Roz 9 BB, Culver 8 BB, Emma O 7 BB. all 4 of those players had over 60 plate appearances in conference play. Brooke had almost the same number of walks as any of them but did it in ONLY 36 plate appearances

and at the same time she was gathering all those BB
    how many times did Brooke strikeout in conference play??? ONCE a 7 to 1 walk to strikeout ratio is BEYOND ELITE batting skill by any recognized standard

our other hitters for comparison
    Jocelyn 10 BB, 8 Ks
    Roz 9 BB, 8 Ks
    Alexa W 5 BB, 5 Ks
    Lindsay C 8 BB, 8 Ks
    Mia J 3 BB, 7 Ks
    Emma O 7 BB, 4 Ks
    player B 4 BB, TWELVE Ks (leads team in Ks)
    player C 2 BB, 10 Ks (second most on team)

so NOT a single player on the team has a Walk to Strikeout ratio of even 2 to 1 except for Brooke who was at 7 to 1 coming into today
    she WAS one of the players called out looking (all 3 batters in 7th were called out looking) in the final inning moving her BB to K ratio to 3.5 to 1

to be clear having a 1 to 1 BB to K ratio is considered between good and excellent and we have 6 players with 1 to 1 or better so this is a strength for our team making it even more STRANGE that all 3 outs in the final inning were on called strike 3

Brooke did start today. but players A, B, and C from above all started over Alexa Williams

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
      Well, that is not what you want to have happen

if you did not watch the game, i am sure it will be replayed on midco MANY times. the REAL problem in this game was our offense, which has been the problem all year

BUT in the bottom of 7 all three outs were on Ks on called strikes on the left hand batters box side of the plate. if you watch the whole game, you tell me if TK was getting corners called like that. Even Elsen was questioning the lack of corners

i give the coyotes credit. they were not going to swing unless they were forced to OR the pitch was really where they wanted it to be. and if our offense had done ANYTHING, that strategy would not have worked for them. they got multiple walks which never hurt. they got only 2 hits on the day but they were in the same inning (top of 6) and the second one was a HR

i am sorry but we have 10 girls on the roster with more than 50 AB this year
      of those 10 Alexa Williams is second for the whole season in OPS, Slugging, and On Base %
      for the last 20 team games (basically the conference portion of the season) she LEADS THE TEAM in OPS and Slugging and is 3rd in On Base %

Williams was not in the lineup today
      i am NOT, truly not!!!! trying to call any players out. i think everyone of them is a great kid. i have heard nothing but great things about this group!!! but you should also expect that the best hitters are getting the most at bats

especially on a team that has unquestionably struggled on offense this year, ANYONE who does not see that is trying NOT to look.

and yet in the championship tournament the team leader in OPS and Slugging for the last 20ish games does not play. even more in the 7th inning we pinch hit for a hitter who is having an atrocious season hitting wise (again wonderful kid. but the stats are very clear she has been a terrible hitter this entire season) did we take this, at least, as an opportunity to get one of our best hitters an AB in a big game??

NOPE, we pinch hit someone who has had FOUR ABs in the last 20 games
      i am just not sure how that makes any sense

and in the last 20 games (just looking at the 10 hitters who have had more than 50 AB for the year)
      the players who are EIGHTH and NINTH in the three MOST INFORMATIVE offensive stats- OPS, Slugging, and On Base %
      have started every single game

Alexa who is in our top 3 hitters in basically any category except number of ABs has started only 12 of the last 20

YOU ALL have seen enough of my posts on here. YOU KNOW i am opposed to focusing on negative things

and i really am not trying to do that here either
      I am trying to focus on the fact that Alexa Williams has been one of the best hitters on our team
      and Brooke Dumont is crazy talented and even though she has struggled this year she is STILL one of our best 7 hitters

we are now in the most important games of the year. the statistical samples are not going to get any bigger. we need to have our best hitters in the lineup

looking at the last 20ish games
      OPS- which is the total of slugging % (measuring total bases / number of at bats) and On Base % (measuring the number of times getting a hit or a walk / number of plate appearances)
      OPS is almost universally recognized as the most informative offensive statistic

again looking just at the last 20 games
      OPS
      Alexa W- 1.231 (leads the team)
      Brooke D- .734
      player A- .673
      player B- .477
      player C- .317 lowest among our 10 players with more than 50 AB

Slugging %
      Alexa W- .759 (leads the team)
      Brooke D- .345
      player A- .302
      player B- .323
      player C- .125 lowest among our 10 players with more than 50 AB

On Base %
      Alexa W- .472 (third on the team behind the Carillo sisters) started 11 of 18 conference games, which includes today
      Brooke D- .389 started 12 of 18 conference games
      player A- .371 started 18 of 18 conference games
      player B- .220 started 18 of 18 conference games
      player C- .192 lowest among our 10 players with more than 50 AB

one more comment regarding Brooke. she has had a difficult year. she has definitely hit plenty of hard balls directly at people but, whatever the case the hitting has not been up to her normal standard (over a .500 career batting average in 4 years of high school. and team played in the championship game all 4 years so her stats include the maximum number of games possible against the best teams in the state. and had an excellent year last year as a true freshman)

but the hitting talent is still obvious
      again just in the conference season Brooke has walked 7 times. tied for 4th. BUT Joc 10 BB, Roz 9 BB, Culver 8 BB, Emma O 7 BB. all 4 of those players had over 60 plate appearances in conference play. Brooke had almost the same number of walks as any of them but did it in ONLY 36 plate appearances

and at the same time she was gathering all those BB
      how many times did Brooke strikeout in conference play??? ONCE a 7 to 1 walk to strikeout ratio is BEYOND ELITE batting skill by any recognized standard

our other hitters for comparison
      Jocelyn 10 BB, 8 Ks
      Roz 9 BB, 8 Ks
      Alexa W 5 BB, 5 Ks
      Lindsay C 8 BB, 8 Ks
      Mia J 3 BB, 7 Ks
      Emma O 7 BB, 4 Ks
      player B 4 BB, TWELVE Ks (leads team in Ks)
      player C 2 BB, 10 Ks (second most on team)

so NOT a single player on the team has a Walk to Strikeout ratio of even 2 to 1 except for Brooke who was at 7 to 1 coming into today
      she WAS one of the players called out looking (all 3 batters in 7th were called out looking) in the final inning moving her BB to K ratio to 3.5 to 1

to be clear having a 1 to 1 BB to K ratio is considered between good and excellent and we have 6 players with 1 to 1 or better so this is a strength for our team making it even more STRANGE that all 3 outs in the final inning were on called strike 3

Brooke did start today. but players A, B, and C from above all started over Alexa Williams
      I pretty much agree with all you said there. I’ll be a monkeys uncle if all of those called strikes caught the corner. It sure didn’t look like it to my eye at least. And, like you, I was fully expecting to see AW come into pinch hit. That to me was a real boner of a move. It’s done, no room for error now.

Comment

Holy cow, LetsGoRabbits! I'm very impressed you were able to compile all that info and get it out within a couple hours of the game.

That sucked! Sums it up for me.

Biggest win in all sports for our little red friends down south.

Jacks need to run the table now just like they did the regular season. Let's do it!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

That's a lot of players in the last inning who were caught looking and struck out to the same area of the plate, me personally, I'd rather take a swing than stand there looking. Just a pet peeve of mine and in no way saying it's wrong to look at strike three, jus saying what I'd do, swing at it (if it's that close to the strike zone) and make contact or miss it entirely, at least you have that chance of either, by just looking, you give up the chance entirely, if the ump see's it differently than you do, especially if he's doing it consistently. We'll rebound I'm hoping, because we lost a game in last seasons SLT Championship too (if I recall correctly), and won the whole dang thing coming up thru the losers bracket, seems like we have to do it the hard way I guess. Had to beat the same team twice in a row for the Championship, and that's what we did.

Comment

MVP of game 2 has to be Rozelyn Carrillo! She has made 2 amazing plays so far!

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
              MVP of game 2 has to be Rozelyn Carrillo! She has made 2 amazing plays so far!
              I agree with you. Good that they only had to go 5 innings for the win, now that they have to play more games, need the rest. Also, nice to see the bats come alive again.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                That's a lot of players in the last inning who were caught looking and struck out to the same area of the plate, me personally, I'd rather take a swing than stand there looking. Just a pet peeve of mine and in no way saying it's wrong to look at strike three, jus saying what I'd do, swing at it (if it's that close to the strike zone) and make contact or miss it entirely, at least you have that chance of either, by just looking, you give up the chance entirely, if the ump see's it differently than you do, especially if he's doing it consistently. We'll rebound I'm hoping, because we lost a game in last seasons SLT Championship too (if I recall correctly), and won the whole dang thing coming up thru the losers bracket, seems like we have to do it the hard way I guess. Had to beat the same team twice in a row for the Championship, and that's what we did.
                Well i am generally with you JD
                i DEFINITELY think when you have 2 strikes you really need to protect against ANYTHING close

dont believe, based on how the rest of the game was called, that all 3 called 3rd strikes should have been called, but they were CLOSE! and i agree with you on that. dont put yourself at the mercy of the ump.

THAT SAID, probably the BEST thing the jacks have done offensively this year is get walks. I BELIEVE that is the only offensive category they have improved on from last year

they are also pretty good at not striking out. as, i said earlier we have SIX girls on this team with a walk to K ratio of 1 to 1 or better. and Brooke one of the called K victims has barely struck out all year

anyway. i will stop rambling. i agree with you protect the plate with 2 strikes. good things can happen when you put the ball in play!!!! ESPECIALLY against USD they were the second worst defensive team in the league this year!!! but the girls have been in the habit of being patient and they were unable to change their habits for the final inning in game one

AS TO OUR CHANCES moving forward
                YES we have lost a game in the SLT each of the last two seasons and still won the championship

two years ago we lost the first game just like we did today. we lost to UMKC. came back beat, i think UND, then UMKC, needed to beat UNO 2x for the trophy. whipped them in game one and won the second one 4-2

last year we went to championship game undefeated and UNO needed to beat us 2x for the trophy. they won game one. we won game two

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post

I pretty much agree with all you said there. I’ll be a monkeys uncle if all of those called strikes caught the corner. It sure didn’t look like it to my eye at least. And, like you, I was fully expecting to see AW come into pinch hit. That to me was a real boner of a move. It’s done, no room for error now.
                  well AW hit the ball hard twice in game 2
                  and Brooke hit it hard 3 times
                  they should both be in the lineup every game the rest of the year, but i doubt that will be what happens

Comment

Would have been nice for Omaha and USD to burn some pitching today, but Omaha jumped up big early and both teams pulled their Ace.

Comment

Hopefully the weather will cooperate with the championship games today (May 13) today in Brookings. Go, Jacks!
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        Hopefully the weather will cooperate with the championship games today (May 13) today in Brookings. Go, Jacks!
                        I hope the stands are full of fans cheering on the team, I'm sure they will be there cheering if the weather cooperates.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          First game has been moved to 2:30 and now to 4:30.

Comment

I would think playing one game today and (hopefully) one game tomorrow would be a best case scenario from a pitching standpoint

Comment

Any good reason to start a game 15 minutes before it starts to rain ? With radar, they had to know that it was a good possibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X