New Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Coach

Jacks hire and announce the new coach, Kristina McSweeney, formerly the head coach at Arkansas Tech

unsurprisingly it was NOT anyone mentioned or thought about by those of us here

mildly surprisingly they hired from the D2 ranks. but that is also where they got coach wood so no reason to make negative assumptions

if i am understanding correctly Coach McSweeney has already won over 500 games in 14 seasons as head coach at juco and D2 levels

Congratulations coach!!! and welcome to you and your family to the Jackrabbit family!!

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
    Jacks hire and announce the new coach, Kristina McSweeney, formerly the head coach at Arkansas Tech

unsurprisingly it was NOT anyone mentioned or thought about by those of us here

mildly surprisingly they hired from the D2 ranks. but that is also where they got coach wood so no reason to make negative assumptions

if i am understanding correctly Coach McSweeney has already won over 500 games in 14 seasons as head coach at juco and D2 levels

Congratulations coach!!! and welcome to you and your family to the Jackrabbit family!!
    Yes, first off, Welcome coach and family, and I will certainly be looking forward to watching the games this season.

Comment

Will be interesting to see if the assistants stay. Saw a tweet that Gomez-Olson was out recruiting last week, so hopefully she will be on the new staff. Would probably help with retention of the current roster.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        Will be interesting to see if the assistants stay. Saw a tweet that Gomez-Olson was out recruiting last week, so hopefully she will be on the new staff. Would probably help with retention of the current roster.
        I wonder if she applied for the HC position. Figured there was a good chance she stayed with her husband being on the football staff.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Who knows when or if we will hear these things?? as i mentioned before, softball program info is not exactly swiftly forthcoming. did ANYONE know that coach stokes left during the offseason last year? i do not believe there was any announcement here and it was not even mentioned when coach G O was hired that she was replacing Kiki

not trying to stir up frustration or anything, just saying that it is hard to know if we will really know much until they decide to update the gojacks site. but that is not done swiftly either. we still have coach wood listed as head coach and all last year seniors on the roster. but it is the same with both MBB and WBB. no roster updates, even though i am pretty sure ALL THE INCOMING FRESHMAN or on campus and have their jersey numbers decided. also none of the career stats are updated

SO ANYWAY?????? it is just hard to know for sure when we can really actually know anything

that said, it seems like a very hard lean that both assistants come back or at least one!! i TOTALLY get the head coach wanting to work with people they have relationships with!!! and i think they should have that option if they want it!!!!! but the turnover of coaching staffs feels like it is not as common in the sports outside of football and basketball. AGAIN!!!! i might be wrong. this is MOSTLY an educated guess!! but i think there is a solid chance i am correct on this one

for instance Coach Wood has only one assistant listed at creighton. they are a return from last year staff

the biggest reason any of this matters is HOW DOES IT IMPACT players staying or leaving!!! i do not want to say much because i am superstitious and it is still a couple days until the deadline to enter the portal, but so far it is looking solid for the jacks, minus Cylie. and i gotta think (or hope!!!) that if everyone else stays maybe she stays too regardless of entering the portal

along these lines, i will say it is slightly bothersome that coach mcsweeney's resignation at arkansas tech does not actually take effect until July 8, according to their athletic website. i dont think that is the biggest deal in the world!!!! and i can imagine LOTS of reasons for it!!! but it does seem at least a little less than ideal.from the jackrabbit side of the equation. but that is the decision that was made and i am sure everyone is doing the best they can to make it work out))!!!

seems obvious that she must have had and or is having plenty of conversations/ zoom meetings with the team and assistants. i VERY MUCH admire that she wants to leave her old team in the best position possible!!!! but i also hope and believe that she would not sacrifice the health of her NEW team in order to do that

so how does all that relate to your question ticket?
          well it just seems to me. we have a new coach. but she will not be on campus for several weeks or almost a month from the announcement of her hiring. she is obviously relying pretty heavily on the assistants to do a lot of work during that time to keep the program in the best position possible to continue and surpass the success they have recently had!

seems like it would be kind of tough to say hey coach villar and coach g-o, i really needed to lean on you two for a month. thanks for everything but now i want to bring some different assistants
          Last edited by LetsGoRabbits; 06-28-2022, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X