Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postseason 2022

SLT is set
    It is the same six teams as last season and the same matchups. i am not positive all the seeds are the same but they might be
    two playin games on wednesday and the top two seeds SDSU and Omaha wait to face the winners on Thursday
    Jacks get the winner of usd and umkc
    Omaha get the winner of ndsu and und

Does anyone know for sure how many people make all conference? or how many teams there are?

I think Rozelyn Carillo should be POY
    but Saenz the 3rd base for usd will be in the running
    along with CF Eltze and White who i think plays 1b for Omaha

(i do not follow other teams enough to guarantee that i know spelling or playing positions)

My guess is that K Meyer from Omaha will be pitcher of the year
    hard to believe that Tori could dominate like she has in the last four games after an already good year and NOT win it
    if they base this mostly on performance from conference games, I think Tori has the better stats, but Meyer was female athlete of the month for April so even then it is not a given
    and if you look at season long stats Meyer did lead the conference in wins and had significantly better ERA and Opponent batting average against than Tori did

if you look at potential all conference the jacks SHOULD dominate depending on how many pitchers make the team and how many teams and players, the jacks have as many as 9 players who seem worthy of post season recognition
    if more than 2 pitchers make all conference then both Tori and Grace should make it, since ONLY Meyer is ahead of them. outside of Meyer they are easily the two best pitchers in the conference!!

I would basically guarantee that R Carillo and L Culver make all conference. they are easily the best shortstop and 2nd base in the conference
    Masterson has had a great year and is second in the league in HR, but if there is only one team and they go by position, then Sainz also plays 3rd base
    you would think that C Halvorsen has to be all conference. tough to leave the reigning POY off all conference when she leads the league in HR, but White from Omaha also plays first i think

anyway all 4 regular infielders, and both regular catchers, Yoder and Dumont, and normal designated player Lenox are deserving of recognition
    those 7 are all in the top 13 players in the league in OPS which is one of the best measurements of all around offensive performance

without knowing for sure how all conference team or teams are set up, my guess is that all four infielders get all conference recognition
    along with one of the catchers, they are both potentially worthy but since they split time they both have limited at bats. i will guess Yoder makes it but i wont be surprised if it is Dumont
    and i will guess both pitchers are recognized but if there is only room on the team for 2 pitchers then Grace will miss out despite an INCREDIBLE season!

that would give the jacks 7 on the all conference team. you could easily argue that they have more who are deserving!! maybe they get a bit less than that but it would only be because of some limitations on numbers because ALL 7 of those offensive players are in the top 11 in the conference in OPS
    actually all 11 of the girls who play the field with any regularity for the jacks are in the top half of the league in OPS- that is pretty crazy
    and BOTH of their pitchers are EASILY in the top 3 in the league
    the jacks have had a great year and i would expect all conference will reflect that

beyond that
    Meyer, White, and Eltze have been awesome for Omaha and should all make it
    usd will have Sainz and maybe one more but i cannot guess who
    ndsu does not really have a single star but have a handful of players who are all very good. i will take a stab and say Cardenas and maybe/ probably one more make it
    Brooke from St thomas and Hilbrenner from umkc have had great years and should both make it
    I dont know if every team is supposed to be recognized or not??? maybe moore from und is deserving and i cannot guess who from WIU

There is only a First and Second Team for awards. Each team has 14 players, so one player for each position plus an extra pitcher, DP, and three alternates.

I'd guess that Meyer will win Player of the Year and Pitcher of the Year. For as great as Tori was this year, Meyer was even better. She makes Omaha a really tough team to beat.

SDSU had 8 players on the First Team last year. That probably won't happen again, but 7 or 8 total on both teams seems likely in my opinion.

Comment

I did not give much thought to a pitcher getting POY, but you could definitely be correct!!
      if they called it MVP you would have to think it is her. they have some very good players but there is definitely not another player in the conference who carries so much responsibility for their team winning!

i am still going to go with Rozelyn but i will not be surprised at all if you are right

after i posted i did find past all conference teams on the summit league site. seeing that, i actually think the jacks will have more make it this year than last. i am not sure that their best players have been quite as dominant as they were last year, but i think they are getting excellent contributions from even more players than they were last year
      and while some players are a little down stats wise from last year, others have improved

seeing now many make it, i think it is possible the jacks have 11 players make one of the all conference teams

Comment

badass, do you know, or does anyone know, do they give any weight at all to conference games in choosing post season awards and all conference teams?? my guess is that they do not and i am totally fine with Meyer winning pitcher of the year! she has been unbelievable!!! and is beyond deserving!!
        i would, however, be mildly disappointed if she wins POY.

BUT... if it is supposed to be weighted at all toward conference games both Tori and Grace have better ERA than Meyer, and grace has a significantly better win total. i think Meyer still led the conference in Ks but probably not by much over Tori

any idea Why Meyer had so much more DOMINANT statistics in the OOC games?? did they play a weak schedule? i do think Tori took a little time to get really rolling this year. she was still very good pre conference but not dominating and significantly behind Meyer statistically

Comment

I would guess conference performance factors in somehow, but isn't a determining factor. Omaha did play a weaker schedule than SDSU, but they're pretty comparable overall.

Comment

This is...interesting.

https://twitter.com/GoJacksSB/status...2EkDt2xrw&s=19

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

"Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

WELL, i guess that answers that. Grace is the pitcher of the year!! congratulations!!
              but that would CLEARLY indicate that the awards are weighted quite heavily to performance in conference games
              going off that grace is absolutely deserving!! she had quite significantly the best ERA in conference games and won more games than anyone!!
              the fact is that there are 3 really excellent pitchers in the conference! if you look at whole season stats then grace probably rates 3rd, but there is a definite argument for her winning this award
              Congrats to Grace and to Rozelyn for POY and to all the rabbits and other players recognized!! now lets get on to the more important business of going to the world series!

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                This is...interesting.

https://twitter.com/GoJacksSB/status...2EkDt2xrw&s=19

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
                YES it is!! i guess i was commenting on that when you posted this
                obviously i have already explained it a couple times. by most arguments she would be ranked 3rd out of 3 very very good candidates, but there is a very clear path to seeing her win this

beyond POY Rozelyn also won the first ever Defensive POY Congratulations
                but now that i have looked at the whole list it is pretty confusing
                There is definitely NOT a requirement for representation for EVERY team because there is nobody from WIU on either 1st or 2nd team, but still somehow Moore from UND is first team and Culver, Dumont, and Lenox are not on either team
                and i would not argue for them all to be on. my initial guess was 7 jacks and that is how many made it. but L Culver really got a raw deal. she was first team last year and posted nearly identical stats this year. and had a couple different stretches this year where she totally carried the offense, but somehow did not make either team

that has to be due to some type of positional requirement or at least thinking about positions,, I GUESS?? but Culver was a top 10 player in the conference no matter what way you look at it and did not make the team
                yet somehow Moore who was borderline top 30 made first team
                and why in the world does usd have 7 total on all conference 2 first team and 5 second team??
                UNO was 2nd in the conference and has 4
                ndsu was 3rd has 5
                and even for the jacks J Carillo made second team. she was first team last year and still has been very good this year!! and i believe she is deserving but NOT OVER other of her teammates beginning with Culver. Lindsay posted almost identical stats to last year while Jocelyn had severe drops in average, on base, slugging, and homeruns. her slugging dropped nearly 400 points!!

truly winning and post season success are far more important than these awards!! but it would be nice for them to make some sense

Comment

the MOST confusing pieces are leaving Culver off
                  and HOW in the world does usd have SEVEN players on here????

i never made ANY serious argument for Dumont or Lenox to be on the team
                  but Dumont was the SIXTH best offensive player in the league based on OPS. yet somehow she is not on the team but Goerke from usd is? i mention Goerke specifically because they both play catcher and Goerke is NOT in the top 20 offensive players
                  I could really understand Lenox not being on the team, even though she was top 15 offensive player by OPS. but she plays no defense. i do not think she played a single out on defense this year. in the past she has caught. but with freshman Dumont doing half the catching this year, Lenox has strictly DP. and while she still had a very good year, her numbers took a SEVERE drop from last year
                  but if you compare her to many of the players on this list she was very deserving!!!

Overall i think there is a fine argument for the jacks having 7 players. they had 8 last year and their top players on offense were less dominant this year so dropping to 7 makes sense!! but i think you could also argue that they are deeper with good contributions from a greater number of players
                  particularly the HUGE improvement by Masterson and the additions of Dumont and Jarecki
                  but the Jacks have been carried much more by their pitchers this year!
                  7 is a fine number but Culver absolutely should be on the team!!! she is a top 10 player!! the most sensible thing would be she is on and usd has less players. but if you want to keep the jacks at 7 then she should be on instead of probably Jocelyn or perhaps Yoder

and there is NO WAY usd should have 7!!! they should have NO MORE than 3!! the only truly deserving player is Sainz the other 6 are decent and you could choose almost any 2 of those 6 depending on what criteria you favor
                  But truly both Culver and Dumont are better than every player from usd who made all conference except for Sainz!!

i understand how UNO got 2nd place and has only 4. you could argue they should only have 3 but i am totally fine with 4. they had a good year but they were carried very much by 3 players!! Meyer carried everyone!! and Eltzie had a great year on offense and so did White, although her games and at bats were less

I hope this motivates Culver and she goes nuclear hot for the post season) if we could get two or three players on offense to have a BIG hot streak for the next 3 weeks this team truly could go to the world series!!

Comment

i guess what the awards say is that the voters basically threw away stats and production from out of conference games
                    i cannot say i agree with that, but it that is the system then that is the system

grace being pitcher of the year points to that
                    but then there is NO REASON for Masterson to be second team. she led the league in homeruns and slugging percentage if you look ONLY at league games. Sainz had a great year and i feel like based off the WHOLE season, i would have voted her 2nd for POY!! but if you go only conference games then Masterson was the better 3rd base player

anyway overall it is not bad. and most of the players make sense!! for me, there is no way to justify SEVEN players from the 4th place team!! even if it is only conference games. in my thinking Sainz definitely makes it. probably the pitcher edwards, and i think Moser the outfielder
                    but based on all season, usd had 3 players outside the top 20 offensive players make all conference, while the jacks had 3 inside the top 14 who DID NOT!! including two in the top ten!!
                    and if ALL SIX of those players had such amazing stats in the conference HOW did they barely finish about 500??
                    they were 11-10 in conference and not like they were hot coming down the stretch. they lost at least 5 games in last 3 weeks including getting swept by umkc the final weekend
                    they LOST TEN games and they had equal number of players on all conference as the jacks who have not lost since the second weekend and lost ONLY 2 games in conference
                    usd lost as many games in conference as the jacks lost all year

haha i say overall not bad then rant about usd)) haha but truly the team pretty much makes sense other than the 4th place team who was 1 game over .500 having as many players on the team as the first place team
                    if it is overall stats, these usd players are not even close!!!
                    and if it is in season they could not have been that great or their team would not have lost ten times

take off 4 or 5 of the usd players
                    add culver and dumont
                    figure out 2 or 3 to replace the usd players and then it would be perfect))) well if we are going for perfection, Meyer really should be pitcher of the year too!! but at least you can make a sensible argument for grace. there is NO sensible argument for usd having 7 players on all conference. and i also cannot imagine that Culver had such horrific stats in conference games but somehow stayed top ten in overall offensive value

i think maybe gates from ndsu was deserving but the 5 they have are fine too
                    i dont think ndsu needs 6 but those 6 make more sense than the 7 from usd

Comment

WOW the weather sure is taking a big bite out of the fun for this tournament and this weekend((

latest updates i am seeing say that power was out campus wide and that there is damage to the campus

does anyone have any further updates or details?

the weather appears that it should be ok now and going forward, but how much damage is there? are they going to need to move the games?

and of course the games are significant but compared to everyones health and safety they are meaningless!!

i hope everyone is SAFE! i also hope the campus is not significantly damaged!!! but i hope the girls get to play this tournament at home, as they earned the privilege to play at home

Comment

The rest of the tournament will be played in Vermillion. The 4 seed is now the host, and guess who the Jackrabbits have to play first?
                        Rollin' in my 5.0
                        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                          The rest of the tournament will be played in Vermillion. The 4 seed is now the host, and guess who the Jackrabbits have to play first?
                          you know i really dont just set out to write long posts. but this info makes me have a lot of thoughts or questions. that happens a lot

first there was no way to play in sioux falls? or ANY other field or fields in brookings?
                          second, i guess that means that the damage on campus is pretty significant. that is a big BUMMER(((((
                          3rd, that really sucks for the program!! and the girls!!! they EARNED the right to play these games at home!!! but they are obviously used to playing and WINNING a lot of games on the road

4, any updates on when the games start? today?
                          5, WOW the four seed who lost double digit games in conference and was ONE yes ONLY ONE game over .500 and still had as many all conference players as the jacks and more than any team except the jacks, NOW gets to host the conference tourney. does someone with the usd softball or athletic program have compromising photos of the new commissioner or something? haha)) kind of)

not to go on that rant again, but seriously!!! the jacks had 3 players in the top 15, including two in the top 10, overall offensive performers in the league who DID NOT make all conference. usd has 3 players OUTSIDE the top 20 who do make the team. HUH??? WHAT??? REALLY???

and finally back to point one and two
                          i guess this means that the damage on campus is pretty severe, because otherwise WHY could they not have moved games just for today to sioux falls or someplace even usd(( and then returned to brookings to finish the tourney. sioux falls seems easier. teams would not even need to move hotels. it is a simple and easy bus ride to SF to play games today. then return to brookings for the remainder, unless the field got destroyed???

how much time and money is it going to take to fix damage to the campus?

there are MANY MANY things more important in this scenario!!! but i had today off from work and was really looking forward to seeing the girls live!! but also to getting to brookings!! seeing the campus, that ALWAYS makes me smile!!! and having some burgers at Nicks))!!!!

i would like to support the girls live but i swore off going to vermillion a long time ago

now i am guessing that maybe sioux falls normal diamonds for this type of event might be in use for the NSIC?? but there are LOTS of fields closer to brookings than vermillion. i know that brandon has fields that are very nice for softball and i am pretty sure harrisburg also does. and i guess it would also be easier for midco to go to those for broadcast purposes

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

you know i really dont just set out to write long posts. but this info makes me have a lot of thoughts or questions. that happens a lot

first there was no way to play in sioux falls? or ANY other field or fields in brookings?
                            second, i guess that means that the damage on campus is pretty significant. that is a big BUMMER(((((
                            3rd, that really sucks for the program!! and the girls!!! they EARNED the right to play these games at home!!! but they are obviously used to playing and WINNING a lot of games on the road

4, any updates on when the games start? today?
                            5, WOW the four seed who lost double digit games in conference and was ONE yes ONLY ONE game over .500 and still had as many all conference players as the jacks and more than any team except the jacks, NOW gets to host the conference tourney. does someone with the usd softball or athletic program have compromising photos of the new commissioner or something? haha)) kind of)

not to go on that rant again, but seriously!!! the jacks had 3 players in the top 15, including two in the top 10, overall offensive performers in the league who DID NOT make all conference. usd has 3 players OUTSIDE the top 20 who do make the team. HUH??? WHAT??? REALLY???

and finally back to point one and two
                            i guess this means that the damage on campus is pretty severe, because otherwise WHY could they not have moved games just for today to sioux falls or someplace even usd(( and then returned to brookings to finish the tourney. sioux falls seems easier. teams would not even need to move hotels. it is a simple and easy bus ride to SF to play games today. then return to brookings for the remainder, unless the field got destroyed???

how much time and money is it going to take to fix damage to the campus?

there are MANY MANY things more important in this scenario!!! but i had today off from work and was really looking forward to seeing the girls live!! but also to getting to brookings!! seeing the campus, that ALWAYS makes me smile!!! and having some burgers at Nicks))!!!!

i would like to support the girls live but i swore off going to vermillion a long time ago

now i am guessing that maybe sioux falls normal diamonds for this type of event might be in use for the NSIC?? but there are LOTS of fields closer to brookings than vermillion. i know that brandon has fields that are very nice for softball and i am pretty sure harrisburg also does. and i guess it would also be easier for midco to go to those for broadcast purposes
                            Have you watched any news at all in the last 12 hours? Based on what is being reported I have to think there is a good chance any option in Sioux Falls would have extensive damage as well. Also, hosting a softball tournament is likely the last thing anyone in Sioux Falls wants to worry about right now.

Comment

ok i see the update on the summit site now

i hope the jacks were given the option of which game they wanted between the one game tonight at 5 or the game tomorrow morning. that is all that is scheduled so far. with the rest to be determined.

i am not sure what the prevailing preference is. is it better to play one game and have the day off. that is what omaha and ndsu will get after playing tonight. or is it better to get in a rhythm and keep playing like the jacks and usd will have?
                              i dont know what the preference is, but i hope at least the jacks were given the choice. i hope they were not scheduled to play in game 3 and moved to game 4 without any input, after already losing the chance to host
                              that would be my hope, but at the end of the day there are things more important. and they are used to being on the road and succeeding under a variety of circumstances

Comment

Working...
                              X