• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Softball to open new Stadium

I agree with you Catchem

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
      I'm not saying he has no right to be pissed. But, IMO, the worst way to drum up support for your program is to avoid the media.  Terry's done a fantastic job of covering SDSU since he arrived and I would think that any head coach on staff would go out of their way to talk to Terry and get some good publicity.

A simple way to handle it would have been:

It's unfortunate that the field isn't 100% complete yet. We're excited to be back on campus so that our players and fans have a great experience with our games.  I'm confident that when the stadium is complete it will be a show piece for our department.
      Someone let me know when the baseball coach avoids the press just so I'm not singling out Shane over stadium issues.
      I see your point, but he's probably been saying something similiar to that since he took over the program. After years of balking by the Administration, rocking the boat, while not ideal may be necessary. Bouman did not put a gag order on the team and Terry still got his story.

It was a subtle jab if anything, nothing more.

For all we know there could have very well been something more urgent for his attention. Everything has been conjecture up to this point.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
        For all we know there could have very well been something more urgent for his attention. Everything has been conjecture up to this point.
        If there wasn't something more behind it, it wouldn't have warranted mention in the article.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
          [quote author=SD-STATE link=1175208365/15#16 date=1175720453]For all we know there could have very well been something more urgent for his attention. Everything has been conjecture up to this point.
          If there wasn't something more behind it, it wouldn't have warranted mention in the article.[/quote]

There very well could be, my ultimate point is that I can understand why he may be upset over the situation. While certainly not the best way to handle such a situation, it could have been much worse.

Comment

Alot of guessing going on in this thread and aimless stones thrown....

Let's take a step back and look at this logically. My guess is that most of us know nothing about coaching softball or athletic administration.....let's not insinuate we can do their job when they surely couldn't be a doctor, accountant or any variety of occupations. Deep breaths and patience

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
              I can't blame Coach Bouman for being upset over the situation. He sees millions of dollars spent on a state-of-the-art facility for a new sport (equestrian) and the home for his existing program only gets incremental progress. He has stated recently that the lack of a proper home field has been a hinderance for recruiting and he may have decided not to talk to Terry in order to avoid further "flaming" of the situation....
              It's always amazing to me that people on this board jump into a subject while knowing very little about what is being discussed. NightHawk, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure you really understand the situation on the equestrian program. Part of the money there is coming from the Title Nine funds as equestrian was the answer, and a necessary one, in order to be compliant. It was in fact, the program that will allow us to give 63 scholarships in football, and not have to cut two or three men's sports. Also, a large amount of the funding is coming from private sources that wanted to see the equestrian program happen.

Let's see: Frost needs to be expanded (according to some posters...or at least we need to get $800,000 to fix the steps); we need the Athletic Development Center on the north end of the football field ASAP; Coughlin Stadium will have to be replaced in the next 10 years and enlarged; the baseball team would like their on-campus facility finished; the softball team wants their on-campus facility completed; we need a new track for the track and field program; we need to start a new women's sports program so we can keep our men's team; we need to go to 63 scholarships in football from 36; we need to raise the number of scholarships in all the other programs; we need to pay our coaches better now that we are in Division I; we need to hire more assistant coaches to meet conference standards; we need to raise one hell of a lot of money to make it all happen...and everybody thinks their program needs to be the first one done. Patience, laddies!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
                It's always amazing to me that people on this board jump into a subject while knowing very little about what is being discussed. NightHawk, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure you really understand the situation on the equestrian program. Part of the money there is coming from the Title Nine funds as equestrian was the answer, and a necessary one, in order to be compliant. It was in fact, the program that will allow us to give 63 scholarships in football, and not have to cut two or three men's sports. Also, a large amount of the funding is coming from private sources that wanted to see the equestrian program happen.

Let's see: Frost needs to be expanded (according to some posters...or at least we need to get $800,000 to fix the steps); we need the Athletic Development Center on the north end of the football field ASAP; Coughlin Stadium will have to be replaced in the next 10 years and enlarged; the baseball team would like their on-campus facility finished; the softball team wants their on-campus facility completed; we need a new track for the track and field program; we need to start a new women's sports program so we can keep our men's team; we need to go to 63 scholarships in football from 36; we need to raise the number of scholarships in all the other programs; we need to pay our coaches better now that we are in Division I; we need to hire more assistant coaches to meet conference standards; we need to raise one hell of a lot of money to make it all happen...and everybody thinks their program needs to be the first one done. Patience, laddies!!!
                Jacks#1fan makes excellent points.  I think the impatience can be construed as a positive sign (as in: the transition has gone so well, we've forgotten we're in transition) but even so, we must continue to have some patience.  The decision makers have proven themselves.

Go 'Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                  [quote author=jacks#1fan link=1175208365/15#20 date=1175917452]It's always amazing to me that people on this board jump into a subject while knowing very little about what is being discussed. NightHawk, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure you really understand the situation on the equestrian program. Part of the money there is coming from the Title Nine funds as equestrian was the answer, and a necessary one, in order to be compliant. It was in fact, the program that will allow us to give 63 scholarships in football, and not have to cut two or three men's sports. Also, a large amount of the funding is coming from private sources that wanted to see the equestrian program happen.

Jacks#1fan makes excellent points.  I think the impatience can be construed as a positive sign (as in: the transition has gone so well, we've forgotten we're in transition) but even so, we must continue to have some patience.  The decision makers have proven themselves.

Go 'Rabbits!

[/quote]

I concur. Let's be patient. Tha athletic administration is doing a wonderful job during the transition. 10 years from now we will have the nicest facilities of any university our size for every sports program. If you want it to happen quicker open up those pocketbooks.
                  Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                  X