Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Softball this week

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
    We signed a girl from Sioux City?? Who does the recruiting or how does that happen without a coach? Or since Bouman is still technically working until July 31st (I'm pretty positive), he can take some contacts that he knows and still do the minimal recruiting just to keep the program afloat? Anyone have any answers??

Let’s see if I can help.  To start with the girl from Sioux City is a walk-on not a scholarship athlete so we didn't "sign" her.  The story isn't even about her coming to SDSU so much as it is about her playing for Sioux City Heelen.  To put it another way this is not a "signing" story.  She may have been recruited (as a walk on) by Shane 6 months ago; she may not have been recruited at all.  I don't know and the story doesn't tell us.  Perhaps she just plans to attend SDSU and try out for the softball team.  Who knows?  

Finally, if our program is currently Head Coach less that doesn't mean the program doesn't have any coaches.  According to last years media guide, SDSU Softball had three Asst. Coaches Beth Rohlena, Amy Wittgenstein, and Scott Miller.  So unless the whole staff left, I would assume that one of them would be leading the program until such time as we hire a new Head Coach.

I know, not overly helpful but it is all I have.

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      For what it is worth, here is Bouman's record as the Head Coach of our Softball program:

2002   22-29
      2003   26-32
      2004   23-36
      2005   30-29
      2006   24-36
      2007   17-32

Go State!  
      I had not  realized Shane had been head coach for six years. My how time does fly. No doubt the win-loss records came into play in making this decision, but what I see from the six years is not a big improvement in terms of wins. I do believe our adminstrators do review each coach each year and maybe more often. I believe too, that what the AD in particular wants to see is progress in the program as a whole. A coaching change in progress so we can only second guess what all went into this change. I dont think any of us will get a offical explanation of this change since it involves a personnel matter. I would hope Shane got the offical explantion. Maybe that is what counts.

I think the scarcity of resources in making the move has made it difficult to handle every challenge in every sport. I suspect all 20 head coaches have some disappointments in terms of what they received in terms of support from the adminstration.

I wish Shane the best in the future and I have gotten know some of his family. They are great people.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper
        Can I get an AMEN!
        I don't know which post you want an amen for, but certainly not for the charge that softball didn't get it's share of support from the department. It did. And sometimes, coaching changes don't depend as much on the wins-losses, as it does on how the program is going internally, whether improvement is made in areas of concern, etc. Shane certainly had the background to be named head coach, but sometimes changes become imperative to the department. I wish him the best of luck personally in his life and his career!

Comment

Any word on a coach for the girls? I know they've done interviews but has anyone heard anything?

Comment

Working...
          X