Rotation and stuff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotation and stuff...

I am in football mode but the recent signing, potential signing, schedule release, Canada trip in a month and fact that the players are on campus and working together has me excited.

FRESH START...
    I get a feeling already that this is a new beginning. I appreciate the contributions made by the guys who just left but I also wonder if it's best that they are gone. "They" would be the 6 upperclassmen who even Nagy himself wondered aloud if they were too broken to fix. Too much accustomed to losing. When bragging that we were returning all our players last year someone asked if it was a good thing we were returning so many guys from such tough times. Good point. I already feel that team is closer and is gonna be closer.

SCHEDULE...
    Very managable. Seven in a row, at our level, is amazing. And to have just 2 road trips in those 5 non-conf games is awesome. I give us a good shot against everyone save for Minnesota.
    Ten toughest games (in order)...
    @Minny, @Iowa, vs. Nevada, @ORU, @Oak, vs. Wisc-Milwaukee, @IUPUI, Oakland, @Central Michigan, @Western Michigan. I say...17-12. 18-13 after Summit Tourney. A great stepping stone to what should be a team who challenges for the conference the following year.

ROTATION....
    PG-Wolters 6'3 So......Stephenson 6'1 Jr
    SG-Sargent 6'4 Sr......Callahan 6'4 Jr
    SG-Moss 6'4 Sr..........White 6'6 Fr / Carlson 6'4 Fr
    PF-Dykstra 6'8 Fr.......Fiegen 6'7 So
    PF-Jurich 67 Jr.........Heemstra 6'9 Fr
    That's pretty solid...and long (for low-major). Few things need to happen for success...
    1. Jurich needs to come. A 4-man rotation w/ 4 solid bigs is HUGE at our level. Would be one of the best/deepest in conference (easily top 3).
    2. Someone, besides Sarg, needs to make jumpers. Callahan? White? Carlson? Nate? Stephenson? Heck, if even a couple could be respectable it would help. Nate and Dale can drive, the inside guys should be able to take care of business in there, but it's the jump shooting that worries me most.
    3. Maybe the biggest...we need a leader and to play w/ passion and to be united. I know it was their personalities but Kai and Mike and AC and Garrett just weren't vocal, passionate guys. I would love to see that in the future...and for them to be a united group. That is one of the most underrated ingredients for a good team.
    These go w/ the obvious hopes of health and to play dee and rebound and FOR US FANS TO SHOW UP!

SUMMIT AT THE FALLS....
    A very early prediction...
    1. Oakland vs. 8. SUU...Oak wins
    4. IUPUI vs. 5. NDSU...IUPUI wins

3. SDSU vs. 6. IPFW....SDSU wins
    2. ORU vs. 7. UMKC....ORU wins
    Oak vs. ORU in Final in a great game. ORU to the Big Dance as a 14 seed.

Re: Rotation and stuff...

I'd rather have Callahan start and have Moss be the energy guy off the bench. But either way, I think will be fine.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Grif brings good energy too, but I hear ya. As Nagy and pretty much every coach has shown, who starts is irrelevent. I imagine we'll get a lil does of alot of rotations trying to figure it out.

But ya, first 10/11 is pretty strong and I could see any of those guys leading us on any given night. Jurich, Fiegen, Callahan and Moss are least likely to have a big offensive explosion, but they're not an Engen type (with all due respect to Mark who I thought the world of last yr).

Comment

Switch Callahan and White around and I agree. IMO, White would be a better player at the 2 and Callahan would be more physical and a better defender at the 3. And I think Fiegen will start at the 5.

I actually think Fiegen and Moss are some of the most likely to have offensive explosions, each averaging around 8-10 points per game, but I wouldn't be surprised to see either have 2-3 20+ point games this season.

I'm also not sure Moss wouldn't be a good starting option to get the team going right out of the gate. Would you rather have the energy put you in a lead or dig you out of a hole? The interesting part would be whether or not he could bring that energy as a starter. If he can, I would argue we are better off with him in the starting lineup and Callahan coming off the bench to bring the D and physicality.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I might be off my rocker...but I think Chad White has a chance at starting. Also, I feel stupid for asking....who is this Jurich kid?
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
            I might be off my rocker...but I think Chad White has a chance at starting. Also, I feel stupid for asking....who is this Jurich kid?
            I believe he is the JUCO who visited campus recently, but no offical signing. Well I really dont have any favorites on this team. I just hope they all give 100 per cent in the effort department.

Comment

I think the Madison kids have decent jumpers, and Carlson is alleged to have a decent shot as well.

I also agree that Grif should be slotted into the 3, as I think he plays 'up a size' better than Moss.

Comment

The one main advantage (in my opinion) that Callahan has over Moss and White and whoever, is his shot. I didn't realize it till last year but he is a very good spot up shooter. Not Sargent level, but he is probably the second best shooter on the team (either him or Wolters).

And as I typed that I see that he only shot 28% from 3 last year. Hmm. I guess I thought it was higher than that. At any rate, he's a better shooter than Dale.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                  The one main advantage (in my opinion) that Callahan has over Moss and White and whoever, is his shot. I didn't realize it till last year but he is a very good spot up shooter. Not Sargent level, but he is probably the second best shooter on the team (either him or Wolters).

And as I typed that I see that he only shot 28% from 3 last year. Hmm. I guess I thought it was higher than that. At any rate, he's a better shooter than Dale.
                  Grif is a good spot up shooter and like most good spot up shooters he needs time to get the shot off. He doesn't create his own jump shots well and we don't want him penetrating. If he is spotting up someone else needs to rotate back on defense because we want Grif crashing the boards.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post

You must have been at the UMKC game. Grif came to SDSU w/ the reputation of a 3-pt shooter but just hasn't lived up to it, yet. White was looking good until he got hurt. Carlson is a guy I can see developing into a good 3-pt shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                      You must have been at the UMKC game. Grif came to SDSU w/ the reputation of a 3-pt shooter but just hasn't lived up to it, yet. White was looking good until he got hurt. Carlson is a guy I can see developing into a good 3-pt shooter.
                      I concur.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think by the lastest, midseason, Chad White will be getting 25 to 30 minutes a game (if healthy). Once his experience starts catching up with his talent, he'll be a player that needs to be on the court as much as possible.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          I think by the lastest, midseason, Chad White will be getting 25 to 30 minutes a game (if healthy). Once his experience starts catching up with his talent, he'll be a player that needs to be on the court as much as possible.
                          Although I am in agreement about White's talent, I think he's a year away yet from logging 25-30 minutes per game. I'll say somewhere around 20 minutes per game this year.

Comment

I think Nate and Sarg are going to get all the minutes they want. I think the next spot goes to the hottest guy, possibly game-to-game...White, Grif, Moss, Carlson...whatever the situation requires.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                              I think Nate and Sarg are going to get all the minutes they want. I think the next spot goes to the hottest guy, possibly game-to-game...White, Grif, Moss, Carlson...whatever the situation requires.
                              I concur, again.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X