JUCO Point Guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JUCO Point Guard?

I heard the Jacks signed a Point Guard the other day. Sorry, i don't have any other info.

Re: JUCO Point Guard?

I have no information on whether or not we are getting a JuCo point guard, but that would be an interesting move if that is the route we go. The reason being is that I think point guard is probably our strongest position at the moment with Wolters expecting to get around 30 minutes a game and having a point/forward such as White, as well as a veteran in Sargent who played point before, as options to spell Wolters for the 10 minutes he's not on the floor.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      I have no information on whether or not we are getting a JuCo point guard, but that would be an interesting move if that is the route we go. The reason being is that I think point guard is probably our strongest position at the moment with Wolters expecting to get around 30 minutes a game and having a point/forward such as White, as well as a veteran in Sargent who played point before, as options to spell Wolters for the 10 minutes he's not on the floor.

I don't think Sargent can play point and score like we need him to. He's better working without the ball and getting open looks. The same goes for White, we need him to add depth at the 2 and 3. Right now, we need more depth at all positions.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

IMHO, we need a change of pace guy who has tremendous quickness like Palarca brought to the table and we don't get that from the three you referenced. I think we definitely need a point guard with some experience to spell Wolters. The other needs are obvious and that is an experienced strong forward or center.

Comment

My thoughts on bringing in a JuCo point guard is that if he is a traditional point guard who really isn't an adequate option for either the 2 or the 3 position, how good could he be if he is willing to walk into a position in which an underclass point guard is already pegged as a starter and is expected to put 30 minutes a night. If he is a combo guard (having the ability to play the 1-2) it is a different story, but if the new guy doesn't have the ability to share the court with Wolters, he might be walking into a less-than-desirable situation for an upper class man.

Also, don't sleep on Chad White's point guard abilities. Until we landed Wolters, I was convinced he would be spending most of his time at point for SDSU just due to how good of a passer he was in high school. White really is talented enough to play the 1 through 3 for us, and if he can stay healthy, he will be an incredibly valuable asset to our men's team for the next 4 years.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Didn't Carlson play some point for Brookings? I hear he had a very good red shirt season.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
              Didn't Carlson play some point for Brookings? I hear he had a very good red shirt season.
              I think you are correct. Carlson did play some point guard but out of necessity not that he was a natural point guard. He may help forward the ball up the floor but asking him to put it on the floor and dribble up the floor may be to much.

I agree with one of the other posts. I think we need to focus on a big man vs another point guard. I am starting to worry just a bit.

GBGBGJ

Comment

My thoughts on bringing in a JuCo point guard is that if he is a traditional point guard who really isn't an adequate option for either the 2 or the 3 position, how good could he be if he is willing to walk into a position in which an underclass point guard is already pegged as a starter and is expected to put 30 minutes a night. If he is a combo guard (having the ability to play the 1-2) it is a different story, but if the new guy doesn't have the ability to share the court with Wolters, he might be walking into a less-than-desirable situation for an upper class man.

Also, don't sleep on Chad White's point guard abilities. Until we landed Wolters, I was convinced he would be spending most of his time at point for SDSU just due to how good of a passer he was in high school. White really is talented enough to play the 1 through 3 for us, and if he can stay healthy, he will be an incredibly valuable asset to our men's team for the next 4 years.
                Not to call you out Kemo, I do respect your opinion, but I feel like we need depth at the PG position as well. I think both White and most certainly Sargeant benefit by playing the 2/3 positions. I'm not sure about Carlson, I've never seen him play. Either way, depth helps.

Again to reiterate my original opinion, Sargeant cannot be the PG..... ever, he will the focus of the offense, he needs to be in position to score.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                  Not to call you out Kemo, I do respect your opinion, but I feel like we need depth at the PG position as well. I think both White and most certainly Sargeant benefit by playing the 2/3 positions. I'm not sure about Carlson, I've never seen him play. Either way, depth helps.

Again to reiterate my original opinion, Sargeant cannot be the PG..... ever, he will the focus of the offense, he needs to be in position to score.
                  No problem, as I don't consider disagreeing with me as "calling me out"

I just feel that we have utilizing the point guard abilities of some talented players we already possess is a better option than making a reach on a recruit just so we can have a backup point. Also I agree that Sargent shouldn't be playing the point for the most part, as I merely mentioned him more as an emergency point guard (i.e. both Wolters and White are in foul trouble, sort of thing). Also, who knows, maybe Brayden has the ability to play the point, for I'm not sure on him since I have never seen him play.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

No problem, as I don't consider disagreeing with me as "calling me out"

I just feel that we have utilizing the point guard abilities of some talented players we already possess is a better option than making a reach on a recruit just so we can have a backup point. Also I agree that Sargent shouldn't be playing the point for the most part, as I merely mentioned him more as an emergency point guard (i.e. both Wolters and White are in foul trouble, sort of thing). Also, who knows, maybe Brayden has the ability to play the point, for I'm not sure on him since I have never seen him play.
                    I think I agree, but who knows if the JUCO (if we even signed a JUCO) is a reach? In any case, injuries do happen from time to time, and if Wolters were to go down, it would put us in a bind at almost every position. IMO, it wouldn't be a good thing for White to play 30 mins at point instead of spreading his minutes around at the 2-3 spots.

At this point, we don't just need players who can contribute on the floor, we need practice players too (like the walk on from Brookings, gasp). So taking a reach on a point guard JUCO isn't that big of a deal because somebody has to go up against Wolters in practice the other 4 days of the week and I would just as soon White get more time with the first team than play defense on the second team. Just my opinion of course.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I have no problem with adding a JUCO point guard, but what really need is a PF or C.

Right now we have three post players and they are Fiegen (true sophomore), Dykstra (true freshman), & Heemstra (true freshman).

I don't think Dale or Griff can play the 4, even in limited minutes. (Unless we run a run & gun offense like Centenary had last year). Pederson and White might be able to play some PF but it's not ideal for either.

We are going to need one or two more post players for depth and incase one of the players gets hurt. I'm sure the coaching staff knows this though, and is out there doing their best to bring in what we need.
                      http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

I think it is safe to say we could use depth at nearly every position. Our deepest positions talent wise (3/4) are very young. If no injuries during the year, it may not be an issue, but remember how beat up the team was at the end of last year?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                          I think it is safe to say we could use depth at nearly every position. Our deepest positions talent wise (3/4) are very young. If no injuries during the year, it may not be an issue, but remember how beat up the team was at the end of last year?
                          I am in total agreement.

This is why it hurts when players leave the program early. You need that depth. I know you can put a starting five out there, but you need to be 2 deep at every position. It's a long season and injury/illness happens.

Comment

There's no problem with getting a JUCO point guard. Nate is a good shooter who can also play the 2. Nothing bad with having more than one ball handler on the court at one time. I'm sure we are also looking for additional height.
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

According to TV's twitter feed, Arieus Stephenson from Colby CC in Kansas has signed with the Jackrabbits. He is a 6-1 Point Guard. No word on the AZ State player.

Here's the official linky... http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=204950569
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                              X