SDSU television rights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU television rights...

TV mentioned yesterday that SDSU has put their television rights up for bid. I guess I am kind of confused, so if someone can answer a few questions....

1.) Why hasn't this been done before?

2..) Just b/c they put them up, it's quite possible that noone will be willing to step up and show most every game, Jackrabbit Insider,replays etc....right?

3.) This is a big undertaking for whomever wants to take it on, right? Have to sell ads, but that's probably the easy part. Have to staff play-by-play and camera crews, among others. Are they going to go to, say, Macomb to do a game? That's alot of expense. Then they're going to have to put these games on during primetime on weeknights and Saturday nights.

I can't wait til this gets done. It's long overdue.

Re: SDSU television rights...

It is a Request for Proposal (RFP) so that means the proposal may have many different options.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
      TV mentioned yesterday that SDSU has put their television rights up for bid. I guess I am kind of confused, so if someone can answer a few questions....

2..) Just b/c they put them up, it's quite possible that noone will be willing to step up and show most every game, Jackrabbit Insider,replays etc....right?

3.) This is a big undertaking for whomever wants to take it on, right? Have to sell ads, but that's probably the easy part. Have to staff play-by-play and camera crews, among others. Are they going to go to, say, Macomb to do a game? That's alot of expense. Then they're going to have to put these games on during primetime on weeknights and Saturday nights.

If the three Sioux Falls stations that are affiliated with the major networks put in bids,it's doubtful that they would broadcast most of the games. I think their ability to dump network progamming is rather limited. It would more likely be a smaller package of games - but hey,it's better than what we've had in the past.

Comment

I don't watch alot of TV but ya, I doubt KELO dumps a popular sitcom on Thursday night for SDSU-SUU.

KELO does have that myTV channel and KDLT has KDLTU that showed the UMKC game last year.

Spreading the games around would be cool. Also would be nice if replays on ch. 23 and the computer didn't take 4 days to get up there.

Comment

I think it is safe to say that everyone in the athletic department would be shocked if any proposal was submitted for broadcast of all fb and bb games. And just because a proposal comes in, doesn't mean it will be accepted. As for it not having been done before, I believe it has. There was talk of broadcast deals when we were in GWFC, but then MVC came up and everything had to start over because of differences in conference rules and schedules. At least that is what I recall.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Why hasn't it been done before? The new leadership in the department has a different approach to media. That doesn't mean the prior administration was wrong. We probably weren't in a position to do an RFP before anyway.

Great news and a good move by AD Sell and Associate AD Leon Costello.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              Why hasn't it been done before? The new leadership in the department has a different approach to media. That doesn't mean the prior administration was wrong. We probably weren't in a position to do an RFP before anyway.

Great news and a good move by AD Sell and Associate AD Leon Costello.
              I believe that finally getting through the D-1 transition, and the growing realization of the fact that this state is now competing (and competing well) in the country's highest level of university collegiate athletics, has brought us to the position that we CAN do some things we were unable to do before. And I think we've got the right people on board to pull us forward.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post

Though we think the world of the Jacks, it has been a slow test the past few years and after several successful broadcasts it probably now appears economically viable. Also there was always the big fear that broadcasting the games would hurt attendance, now broadcasts will show how much fun it is to be at the games rather than armchairing it. Also Sell is looking any way he can for any revenue he can. All things former administraters were probably not as savvy at as he is. He Sells baby He Sells!!!!(couldn't resist).

Yes, no one is holding a gun to KDLT's head to show Jackrabbit sports. So it could be just wishful thinking on our parts and SDSU's.

I would imagine only home games would be shown. Away games would more than likely be "piped in" so we get to listen to their homer announcers rather than our homer announcers.

Agreed
                Of course I am using plain old common sense and informed conjecture, so that has failed me in the past.
                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                X