SEMO TransferHawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEMO TransferHawks

I know there are other games in-between, but something on the smack board got me thinking about SEMO on Thanksgiving. Take a look at their roster here:

http://gosoutheast.collegesports.com...askbl-mtt.html

It appears that 10 of their 15 players are transfers, mostly from community colleges, but a couple from bigger D1 programs. (That's their current roster. Don't be thrown off by the 2004-2005 at the top of the page.)

Personally, I'm not a big fan of teams built from transfers or of schools that live off that sort of scavenging. I hope some fans are able to come out and see the Jacks beat the SEMO TransferHawks.

And yes, Mike Frickin' Nelke graduated.

Re: SEMO TransferHawks

Again, ahead of things. But for fun I just looked up SEMO's basketball graduation rate. It's an OU-like 10 percent. Pathetic. Of course I hope we beat them, but it'll be tough. Our guys have to worry about silly things like studying and going to class. Their guys... apparently not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
      Again, ahead of things. But for fun I just looked up SEMO's basketball graduation rate. It's an OU-like 10 percent. Pathetic. Of course I hope we beat them, but it'll be tough. Our guys have to worry about silly things like studying and going to class. Their guys... apparently not so much.
      I appreciate your reference to graduation rate and your statement that our players are also students. I have heard an SDSU vice president say on more that one occasion that our academic standards will not be compromised in the move to Division I. Furthermore, she expounded proudly on our school's graduation rate of our athletes as compared to some other specific schools in South Dakota.

Since I live in the extreme western part of our wonderful State I sometimes attend games at South Dakota Tech or Black Hills State University to get my periodic basketball fix. They do something at Tech that I wish SDSU would consider. In their programs they highlight the fact that the players on their teams are students first by listing their majors right alongside their names, hometowns, etc. I suggested this to Dr Oien once in an e-mail but he had a lot going on at the time and did not respond to me.

Comment

Originally posted by West_River_Jack

I appreciate your reference to graduation rate and your statement that our players are also students.  I have heard an SDSU vice president say on more that one occasion that our academic standards will not be compromised in the move to Division I.  Furthermore, she expounded proudly on our school's graduation rate of our athletes as compared to some other specific schools in South Dakota.

Since I live in the extreme western part of our wonderful State I sometimes attend games at South Dakota Tech or Black Hills State University to get my periodic basketball fix.  They do something at Tech that I wish SDSU would consider.  In their programs they highlight the fact that the players on their teams are students first by listing their majors right alongside their names, hometowns, etc.  I suggested this to Dr Oien once in an e-mail but he had a lot going on at the time and did not respond to me.
        I noticed in the basketball media guides it does include student-athletes' majors. I'm not sure what is in game programs, but it's possible that your suggestion has already been incorporated.

Our student athletes, as a point of comparison to the SEMO TransferHawks, boast a nearly 70 percent four-year graduation rate. That's really something to be proud of. I haven't had much experience with student athletes in my classes at SDSU yet, but the few I have encountered are fine students and nice kids, too.

Comment

SEMO squeaks by D-II Truman State:

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1126546.html

http://gosoutheast.collegesports.com...111805aaa.html

http://gobulldogs.truman.edu/article.aspx?id=663

We really need to beat these guys in our home opener.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Highlights from a SE Missourian story:

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1126755.html

Redhawks shoot for 2-0 start vs. IPFW

Monday, November 21, 2005
            Marty Mishow ~ Southeast Missourian

Southeast will try to build on a shaky opening victory tonight against Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne.
            Since his team is so inexperienced, Southeast Missouri State coach Gary Garner considered a strong start extra important this year.

Despite barely getting past Division II Truman State 59-56 in Friday night's opener, the Redhawks have an opportunity to begin the season 2-0 before heading out on a tough two-game road trip.

In order to accomplish that, Southeast must beat an Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne team that is something of an unknown commodity entering tonight's 7:30 p.m. tipoff at the Show Me Center.

"It's very important for us to win these first two games," Garner said. "We need to start out 2-0 before we go on the road trip, but it's not going to be easy to beat IPFW."

The Mastodons, who began their season by losing at home to Loyola-Chicago 69-61 Saturday night, were just 7-22 last year.

But IPFW has an almost completely retooled roster, with only three players returning, along with a new coach in former Indiana University standout Dane Fife.

Fife, an assistant at Indiana the previous two seasons, became the nation's youngest current Division I head coach when he was hired at age 25.

"They've got mostly new players, so it's really hard to know what to expect from them," Garner said. "I remember him [Fife] as a player. He was a very good player, and he was really a good defensive player. I'm sure his team will take on that personality."

IPFW's returning players accounted for only 13 points per game last season, led by junior guard Quintin Carouthers, who ranked fourth on the squad at 8.4 points per game.

Carouthers scored 13 points in Saturday's loss to Loyola-Chicago, while IPFW was led by freshman guard Kyle Savely's 17 points.

While IPFW has a new-look team, so does Southeast. The Redhawks returned just four players from last year's 15-14 squad. They have seven newcomers.

That's why Garner realizes the Redhawks will remain a work in progress for some time. That was evident by the near-upset loss to Truman State, as Southeast trailed most of the game before Roy Booker's 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds left broke a 56-56 tie.

"We've got a long way to go," Garner said. . . .

"We'll find out a lot more about our team in this game," Garner said. "We'll have to have a lot more intensity than we did against Truman State, but I know we will."

Booker, playing his first and only season with Southeast after transferring from Montana last year, led the Redhawks with 17 points in the opener. He said he expects a much better effort tonight.

"We took them [Truman State] lightly because they were Division II," Booker said. "We won't take this team lightly, because we know they'll be pretty good.

"We've got a lot of new players and everybody is still learning to play together. But we'll be fine. We're going to have a good team."

The Redhawks should have their full roster available tonight after freshman guard Eric Jones was held out of the opener as a minor disciplinary measure for missing a class.

Following tonight's game, the Redhawks face their first road tests of the season, as they play at South Dakota State Thursday night and at Nebraska Sunday afternoon.

"That's going to be a really difficult trip for us," Garner said. "That's why this game is so important."

Go State! ;D

Comment

I am so incredibly fired up for this game on Thanksgiving Day evening. How fired up? I plan on bringing TWO cowbells!

Go Rabbits!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm skipping Thanksgiving with the folks to stay for the game. Hope there are a lot of high school and adults at the game to make up for the students being gone.
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

bub, you can come have a cold one with me Wed. night and after the game Thursday too. I'm skipping the traditional bird fest myself...PM me. If there are any other Thanksgiving loners out there let us know? We can all hook-up and have our own Jackrabbit Thanksgiving.

Comment

i'm sure my and my dak bunch will be at o'hares for apps on weds. glad i have thursday off from bowling league. should be a good time(trying to get some of them to come to the game too).
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

The Hawks couldn't get it done.

http://gosoutheast.collegesports.com...112105aaa.html

Redhawks Lose Heartbreaker to Mastodons, 65-64

Roy Booker scored a game-high 25 points

Nov. 21, 2005

CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. - (Monday, November 21, 2005) IPFW led from buzzer to buzzer to defeat Southeast Missouri State 65-64 in a non-conference match-up at the Show Me Center Monday evening.

The Mastodons, 1-1, jumped out to an early 13-0 lead and led 38-25 at the half. They increased their lead to as many as 17 points early in the second half before Southeast fought back into the game.

A 3-pointer by Roy Booker who led Southeast with 25 points, with 23-seconds remaining brought the Redhawks to within one at 63-62. The Dons missed the front end of a one and one and Southeast rebounded and held for a final shot, but when Booker penetrated he threw an errant pass to Eric Jones that went over his head out of bounds. . . .

Where is Mike Frickin' Nelke when you need him? I know, I know he graduated

I smell blood.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

bub, I'm a Thursday night bowler too. I'll probably be down at Skinners on Wed. night.
                        Go Jacks!

Comment

I hate to be this confident already, but we should beat SEMO by 15. I don't think I'm being a homer with those expectations. Anyone else wanna weigh in?
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I have a lot of respect for Gary Garner from his days as coach at Ft. Hays State . . .

Before the season began I had the game at SDSU 76, SEMO 70. That still sounds about right.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Ft. Hays State huh.  Anyone else remember that awesome game here.  I was one of the morons who showed up in shorts in the minus degree windchill just to sit at half court.  I would do it again.  

Rabbitden, who do you bowl for on Thursdays?  I'm on the Dak team.

Forgot to make my guess for the score. 83-71 State.

Comment

Working...
                              X