New Jersey Tech in '06-'07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jersey Tech in '06-'07

Looks like we will be playing the New Jersey Institute of Technology twice in '06-'07. Here are highlights from a Herald News story on the Highlanders and their move to D-I.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Barker, NJIT set to make jump

By ADAM ZAGORIA
    HERALD NEWS

NEWARK - Clayton Barker has spent the last three full seasons as the starting point guard for the New Jersey Institute of Technology. A NCAA Division II program, NJIT competes against similar schools in the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference, including Caldwell, Felician and Dominican. A week ago, Barker, a former Passaic standout, poured in a career-high 31 points against Molloy (N.Y.) College and hit the game-winning jumper with seven seconds remaining.

But a year from now, the 5-foot-10, 180-pound junior will be playing Division I basketball against the likes of St. John's, Richmond and La Salle.

No, Barker isn't transferring for a chance at greater glory. He won't even have to leave Newark to play at the top collegiate level.

Instead, NJIT will play a full Division I schedule as part of a four-year process to reclassify to that level under NCAA regulations. . . .

"It's exciting. After high school, everybody wants to go Division I," said Barker, who led Passaic High School to NNJIL, Passaic County and North 1, Group 4 titles as a junior in 2001, and now studies business management. "And then (when) you play D-2, a lot of people at home think you underachieved or stuff like that. I'm happy playing where I'm at right now, but just the experience of playing Division I is real exciting, different teams and stuff."

Newark's only D-I team

But there will be other dividends that pay off beginning next November, when the Highlanders open D-1 play in the Columbia University Tournament, and then play St. John's at Carnesecca Arena a month later.

"If you think about it, we will be Newark's college sports team because we're the only Division I program in the city," university President Dr. Robert A. Altenkirch said in a telephone interview.

NJIT's move to Division I is part of a larger plan to bring the university's athletic programs in line with its academic programs.

"Our overall goal as an institution is to be recognized nationally as a research university," Altenkirch said. "In this part of the country in Division 2 athletics, most of the institutions tend to be small, private religiously-affiliated schools and we really don't have a lot in common with them.

"By staying in that division, we don't get to line up athletically with our academic peers."

Of course, a successful move to D-1 athletics won't happen overnight.

"This year is the first recruiting season where we're going to get attention from high school players who have the potential to play Division 1," Altenkirch said. "It will probably take us three or four years before we can put on the floor or the field players who are all of a Division I playing ability." . . .

Patriot League bound?

Aside from recruiting, the other major challenge facing Casciano and the NJIT administration is becoming affiliated with a conference. With four Patriot League schools on the schedule for 2006-07, that would seem the most natural possibility. But the America East and Northeast Conferences have also been mentioned as options.

"It all comes down to, can you get into a conference?" Casciano said. "Literally, you can get into a conference tomorrow or it could take forever."

In the meantime, Casciano has built an independent schedule heavy with games in November and December, prior to the start of conference play other teams. . . .

Come January and February, the Highlanders will settle in and play 12 games against the other six "independent" D-1 schools seeking conference affiliation. That will mean trips to North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Indiana.

"That's one of the most exciting parts about it, just being able to get out and see different places and play in different types of environments," Barker said. "The traveling is what I'm really looking forward to. It's a good experience playing against these different types of people." . . .

Go State! ;D

Re: New Jersey Tech in '06-'07

I hate to think of us as

"other "independent" schools in the process of becoming D-1, no-names such as Utah Valley, Texas Pan-Am and North and South Dakota State."

As we are referenced to in the full article.

Comment

Saying "North and South Dakota State" makes it seem like the two schools are campuses of one university system, perhaps a mythical Dakota State University. After all, who says "North and South Carolina State"?

Comment

Originally posted by cal_jack
        I hate to think of us as

"other "independent" schools in the process of becoming D-1, no-names such as Utah Valley, Texas Pan-Am and North and South Dakota State."

As we are referenced to in the full article.
        We are what we are. It would be nice if we were in the south like Kennesaw State where there are bunches of conferences to get into.

We aren't, there aren't. We're pretty much stuck with 1) Big Sky, 2) Mid-Con, or 3) an independent schedule, until the NCC falls apart, the stronger schools move up to D-I, and the NCC arises from the D-II ashes as the "Big North" or something like that.

Or, we get so good at men's basketball that the Valley comes calling--that would be the best of all possible worlds but not likely for the near future.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

"No Name" is in the eye of the beholder. In the article they are psyched about playing La Salle and Richmond. To most Mid-Western fans these schools would be "No Names". You have to remember to folks back east we live in fly over country.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I would have to say they need to look at themselves as I wouldn't call New Jersey Tech a household name. They have a tremendous amount of talent laying at their at their doorstep.

Comment

Lest we forget, this is not the first time that NJIT and SDSU have been in the same article:

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1126721154

Go State! ;D

Comment

Going D-1 was absolutely the right move for SDSU, despite the painful transition in men's basketball. I hope Coach Nagy sticks around for years to come, helps the players improve and, as soon as next season, guides the team to some surprising wins. Losing Steve Holdren for any amount of time this season would hurt a lot. He's D-1 talent and fun to watch. (Great site, by the way. I'm a newcomer to D-1 chat but don't intend to remain a stranger.)
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up
                  Going D-1 was absolutely the right move for SDSU, despite the painful transition in men's basketball. I hope Coach Nagy sticks around for years to come, helps the players improve and, as soon as next season, guides the team to some surprising wins. Losing Steve Holdren for any amount of time this season would hurt a lot. He's D-1 talent and fun to watch. (Great site, by the way. I'm a newcomer to D-1 chat but don't intend to remain a stranger.)

Welcome to the board Jacked_Up, thanks for posting!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Having just arrived back in my office 30 minutes ago from a flight from Newark, NJ. has me looking forward to seeing my JACKS play NJ Tech. next year!!

Comment

I don't mean to be cocky, but looking back, I think a lot more people know who South Dakota State is now more than they know who New Jersey Tech is (in reference to NJ Tech not wanting to become a no-name like SDSU and others).

Comment

Working...
                      X