Gameday weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gameday weather...

This has been unreal. Seems for every SDSU home game the weather gets bad. I know it has hurt attendance. I know me and others have not gone to games b/c of the weather. Is there a website that shows what the weather was on certain days? Woul love to look back at the wether for all home game.

Of course, again last night the weather was bad. Attendance was okay but I imagine at least 1,000 Bison and Jacks fans were kept away.

Re: Gameday weather...

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
    This has been unreal. Seems for every SDSU home game the weather gets bad. I know it has hurt attendance. I know me and others have not gone to games b/c of the weather. Is there a website that shows what the weather was on certain days? Woul love to look back at the wether for all home game.

Of course, again last night the weather was bad. Attendance was okay but I imagine at least 1,000 Bison and Jacks fans were kept away.
    Try The National Weather Service website, look for the local climate link on the menu on the left hand side, it has some archived weather information. Here is the link: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fsd/

Comment

I should start a new thread in the lounge or around SD about the winter of 09-10, but since this thread is already started, and weather has impacted basketball attendance I'll post this here(hope I didn't violate the terms of use policy by copying the entire page). From the NWS in Sioux Falls: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display...48426&source=0

A long cold winter
      Not only has this winter been snowy, it has also been fairly cold. On January 2nd, Sioux Falls fell to -30 for the first time since 1974. And while not every day has been bitterly cold, the region has been in the grips of this cold air mass for quite some time. In fact, December 1st, 2009 is the last time that the region saw high temperatures above 40 degrees. The following is a list for Huron, Sioux City and Sioux Falls for consecutive days with highs below 40 degrees.

Sioux Falls (through February 15th)

Days Start Date
      94 12-12-1968
      91 12-17-1977
      86 12-16-1978
      85 12-27-1959
      76 12-02-2009

Sioux City (through February 15th)

Days Start Date
      90 12-18-1977
      87 12-05-1978
      76 12-02-2009
      69 01-06-1969
      62 01-11-2001

Huron (through February 15th)

Days Start Date
      98 11-27-1955
      86 12-16-1978
      82 01-07-2001
      82 12-17-1977
      78 01-14-1915
      76 12-02-2009

Comment

If you look up any location on weatherunderground,

http://www.wunderground.com

and look for the calendar view for a particular month it will give you a fairly detailed overview of historical weather for that date including deviations from norm. It's easier to make comparisons if you have the entire monthly view in front of you.

Comment

I'm not sure if this should go here or not, but it is weather related so I will put it here. I believe our attitude towards weather has changed as the television media has become, IMO, more hysterical in its coverage.

Take the NDSU game night, weather conditions were reported as very bad and attendance was lower that night than anyone would expected. I drove home that night and went with the flow of traffic, a few people passed me and I passed two or three people on the way home. From Brookings to the Madison exit I traveled about 20 mph under the speed limit and it seemed as though traffic was moving at a slow and cautious pace. From about the Madison exit, conditions improved greatly and I sped up to about 70 mph (at night I usually keep it at about 70 on the interstate) for the rest of the way home as weather was no longer a factor. Felt like we back to a normal pace.

When I got home, my wife asked about the trip and I was about to say how the first half wasn't good when I realized that I made it home sooner than I would have 30 years ago when I was young, stupid and thought nothing bad would ever happen, even if the trip had been made under perfect conditions in the middle of the day.

The speed limit used to be 55 and I would never have gone that much over the speed limit because of the fear of a speeding ticket (seriously, never got speeding tickets until I was older, wiser, and trying to get places quicker because of the kids). With Saturday's road conditions, 30 years ago if asked about the road conditions I would have said, "No problems, went the speed limit the whole way." Today, same road conditions causing the same safety issues, but the roads were considered in much worse condition because the trip took relatively longer than it otherwise could have.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
            I'm not sure if this should go here or not, but it is weather related so I will put it here. I believe our attitude towards weather has changed as the television media has become, IMO, more hysterical in its coverage.

Take the NDSU game night, weather conditions were reported as very bad and attendance was lower that night than anyone would expected. I drove home that night and went with the flow of traffic, a few people passed me and I passed two or three people on the way home. From Brookings to the Madison exit I traveled about 20 mph under the speed limit and it seemed as though traffic was moving at a slow and cautious pace. From about the Madison exit, conditions improved greatly and I sped up to about 70 mph (at night I usually keep it at about 70 on the interstate) for the rest of the way home as weather was no longer a factor. Felt like we back to a normal pace.

When I got home, my wife asked about the trip and I was about to say how the first half wasn't good when I realized that I made it home sooner than I would have 30 years ago when I was young, stupid and thought nothing bad would ever happen, even if the trip had been made under perfect conditions in the middle of the day.

The speed limit used to be 55 and I would never have gone that much over the speed limit because of the fear of a speeding ticket (seriously, never got speeding tickets until I was older, wiser, and trying to get places quicker because of the kids). With Saturday's road conditions, 30 years ago if asked about the road conditions I would have said, "No problems, went the speed limit the whole way." Today, same road conditions causing the same safety issues, but the roads were considered in much worse condition because the trip took relatively longer than it otherwise could have.

Great Post!

The whole "Winter driving" hysteria is gotten out of control, IMO, especially this winter.
            If you really don't want to attend something, quit blaming it on the potential weather.
            I've just gotten sick and tired of hearing about the "weather"...it seems like it's all people around here can talk about. Get some new material.

Go Jacks!!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
              Great Post!

The whole "Winter driving" hysteria is gotten out of control, IMO, especially this winter.
              If you really don't want to attend something, quit blaming it on the potential weather.
              I've just gotten sick and tired of hearing about the "weather"...it seems like it's all people around here can talk about. Get some new material.

Go Jacks!!
              Where are you from sir?

Driving from SF to both the UMKC and NDSU games (not to mention back) was pretty rough. 30 vehicles in the ditch wouldn't be a stretch....

Comment

I am from Sioux Falls and no way was there 30 vehicles in the ditch after both games combined when I went home. My post above was in regards to the NDSU game. UMKC game roads allowed traffic to go any where from 30 mph in a few stretches to 55 or 60. Again I am not one that passes very many people, so that is what most people were traveling at. NDSU when I came home I saw two vehicles in the ditch that where there on the way up. Don't recall how many for UMKC, but it was not 28.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                  Where are you from sir?

Driving from SF to both the UMKC and NDSU games (not to mention back) was pretty rough. 30 vehicles in the ditch wouldn't be a stretch....

Same area as you, probably just a few miles east.

Stay home because of "roads" if you'd like, but let's not make some of these weekends we've had out to be "whiteout" conditions everytime KELO decides to do a three-hour long weather special.

If the state of SD decides to close the interstates.....stay home.

Go Jacks!
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                    I am from Sioux Falls and no way was there 30 vehicles in the ditch after both games combined when I went home. My post above was in regards to the NDSU game. UMKC game roads allowed traffic to go any where from 30 mph in a few stretches to 55 or 60. Again I am not one that passes very many people, so that is what most people were traveling at. NDSU when I came home I saw two vehicles in the ditch that where there on the way up. Don't recall how many for UMKC, but it was not 28.
                    We were driving north Saturday morning when the "band of snow" hit southeast South Dakota. You couldn't see more than about 50 yards and the roads were fairly slick. A large group of cars (10-20) both north and south of Sioux Falls got caught in a chain reaction of accidents. It was pretty ugly for that bit of time but if you slowed down and paid attention there was no trouble. It did prevent a few people from Yankton making the trip up.

Drive home on Monday night was no problem until Highway 46, some drifting but no terrible.

Be careful, give yourself extra time, if you don't think its worth the risk don't travel. I'd feel better about missing games if I knew someone was using my tickets.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Jackrabbit View Post
                      I should start a new thread in the lounge or around SD about the winter of 09-10, but since this thread is already started, and weather has impacted basketball attendance I'll post this here(hope I didn't violate the terms of use policy by copying the entire page). From the NWS in Sioux Falls: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display...48426&source=0

A long cold winter
                      Not only has this winter been snowy, it has also been fairly cold. On January 2nd, Sioux Falls fell to -30 for the first time since 1974. And while not every day has been bitterly cold, the region has been in the grips of this cold air mass for quite some time. In fact, December 1st, 2009 is the last time that the region saw high temperatures above 40 degrees. The following is a list for Huron, Sioux City and Sioux Falls for consecutive days with highs below 40 degrees.

Sioux Falls (through February 15th)

Days Start Date
                      94 12-12-1968
                      91 12-17-1977
                      86 12-16-1978
                      85 12-27-1959
                      76 12-02-2009

Sioux City (through February 15th)

Days Start Date
                      90 12-18-1977
                      87 12-05-1978
                      76 12-02-2009