Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatever....

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    I don't think we had a real good chance to foul at end of regulation...Vaughn throws up a wild 3 that bounces out towards Zastrow and then he nails it....BUT at the end of the 1st OT you have to foul for crying out loud. We had plenty of chances to win, but our coaches need to do the same. I'm very concerned about how this team responds...

Agree, it's not even a question, you have to foul. How many times have you seen a team foul in that situation and lose....I don't think I've ever seen it, too many variables involved. Now obviously you cnt foul when their shooting a 3..........the good thing is, I would assume to see a foul if their in the same situation later this yr.

Comment

I posted this on other game day site, but was wondering if anyone else thought Palarca was trying to foul his man as he crossed half court in the first overtime?? I thought he was trying to "reach" as his player dribbled across the time line, but didn't get the call. It can be a fine line for a player trying to foul in these situations. You don't want to foul too hard and get called for an intentional foul, so maybe it is easier for us fans to think that this is the best scenario, but harder to carry out.
      And as a coach, maybe there are thoughts of fouling, them making both FT's, losing the inbounds pass, them scoring . . . . and game over . . . you lose. Or they make both FT's, foul us on the inbounds, we make one, they come down and hit a three . . . . and we lose??

Sometimes you settle for playing great defense, contesting a desperation three, and son of gun if they don't hit both of them. I would never blame Coach Nagy for this loss, it was just a game where the Bison hit two HUGE shots, and the Jacks missed some FT's that could have put the game away.

Comment

You have to play the percentages...as long as your players aren't complete idiots....which State's aren't. How many games can anyone think of where they fouled intentionally up 3 late and ended up losing the game? I'm guessing we could count them on 1 hand or less. How many times does the team not foul, and end up losing....It seems like it always happens, heck it's happened to State at least twice in the last couple yrs.

That being said, sure it was a big game, but at least it wasn't in Sioux Falls in March.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
          You have to play the percentages...as long as your players aren't complete idiots....which State's aren't. How many games can anyone think of where they fouled intentionally up 3 late and ended up losing the game? I'm guessing we could count them on 1 hand or less. How many times does the team not foul, and end up losing....It seems like it always happens, heck it's happened to State at least twice in the last couple yrs.

That being said, sure it was a big game, but at least it wasn't in Sioux Falls in March.
          I understand the concept of fouling when they are bringing the ball up the court with under 8-10 seconds. But when there is more time, it doesn't make sense to me, because It should be easier to defend the three point line with the clock running than to get into a free-throw shooting contest with it stopped.

If I remember correctly there were 23 seconds left when Palarca scored the layup to go up 3 in regulation. If you foul with 20 seconds left, the opponent will shoot the free throws & foul. They are likely going to get at least two more possessions. On the other-hand play tough defense on the perimeter, give up a two if you have to, and force them into a bad shot. When they do, get the rebound. That's what we did, and Vaughn took a bad shot, SDSU had everyone boxed out underneath, but because it was such a Brick the rebound went 20' to a player that wasn't attempting to crash the boards.

I'm guessing the scouting report on NDSU says that they wouldn't hit those shots at a 40% clip in open Gym. Hitting 2 in a row? Sometimes you just have to tip your hat.

Comment

I apologize for my post. It's not an excuse but that post was made after a few too many gametime beers (was a long game) and post-game frustration Jag-Bombs. Blaming the officials in such a close game where NDSU hit big shots is in poor taste. Congrats to NDSU.

It was frustrating to see Saul toe-to-toe w/ an official and then see NDSU basically live on the FT line the next 5 minutes though, not going to deny that.

First thing I thought of when I woke up at 7am was the game. And I layed there and thought about it and let it ruin my morning. Oh well, probably not going to really affect anything longterm. Maybe it motivates the kids. Moving on....

Comment

Tea, you gained some perspective - just like I did. (being a Viking fan - life has given me nothing but challenge.)

Kudos to NDSU - they hit the shots, they swept us again.

Perspective - won't mean crap in March as that is when the rubber hits the road. Until then - we need to get better each day. We are getting there Rabbits! Keep the faith!!!

Comment

Its the inconsistancy that is the problem with the fouls. We were agressive getting stops and turn overs in the first 14+ minutes. Saul starts barking at officals then every time down the court we are called for fouls, some where yes, others where not but were still called. such as the foul on Moss, that he didnt even touch the guy. The next trip down for us same as they did but we didnt get the call like NDSU just had. Thats the problem, inconsistancy. When we are up, why would we be fouling to stop the clock? just doesnt make sense, that i put on poor officials. I felt both teams played a fairly clean game but I ask how does a team with the lead end up fouling 3 players out during regulation like they were? yet the team down who should have been fouling more was not having those issues? I feel they made a few lucky shots we missed a few free throws which was what we think cost us the game, when we actually lost the game I feel because of the first half. We were playing smart and aggressive which usually leads to turnovers or rebounds not tick tack fouls.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                X