IUPUI (L)
    WIU (w)
    Final: 7-11

Summit Tourney....book-it!

1.) Oakland vs. 8.) WIU
    2.) IUPUI vs. 7.) UMKC
    3.) ORU vs. 6.) NDSU
    4.) SDSU vs. 5.) IPFW

Re: How the rest of the year plays out...

I'm not changing much from below. In fact, if all plays out the way I see it I will have predicted 5 of the first 6 correct in my pre-season poll and 7 of 10 overall (thought SUU would be better, UMKC and IPFW would be worse). Hats off to IPFW especially, they have a pretty solid team.

Summit 1-6 (the others don't matter and will not pull off an upset in tourney):

Oakland has #1 locked up.

IUPUI has #2 locked up.

ORU has #3 locked up.

SDSU should have #4 locked up (thank God we get WIU at Frost for what should be win #10).

IPFW currently leads NDSU by 0.5 and has beat them both games this year. IPFW remaining games are vs. SDSU and at Oakland. Will most likely finish 9-9, at least. They will play at Oakland after Oak has secured conference but Oak, being from a low-level conference, needs every win they can get.

NDSU probably finishes here. Their remaining schedule is not very friendly going at Oakland on Saturday. A game where Oakland will be ready since they can clinch conference w/ a win. Then it's vs. IUPUI and vs. WIU. Most likely finish 1-2 (8-10).

Summit at the Falls:
    1.) Oakland vs. 8.) WIU Sat 6pm
    2.) IUPUI vs. 7.) UMKC Sat 8:30pm
    3.) ORU vs. 6.) NDSU Sun 8:30pm
    4.) SDSU vs. 5.) IPFW Sun 6pm

Upset pick: NDSU over ORU. ORU doesn't have the best of outside or FT shooters and doesn't have a very good feel in the Arena. IPFW is also very capable of beating SDSU. Wouldn't be a surprise at all. Not sure what to expect from the NDSU crowd. On one hand they were great last year, on the other the weather was bad and, especially in the title game, their fans simply couldn't travel. I expect a little less than last year but still #2 by far.

Semi's:
    1.) Oakland vs. 4.) SDSU Monday 6pm
    I expect Oakland to be more than ready and I expect to see this year what I saw from Oakland last year in this game....domination.

2.) IUPUI vs. 3.) ORU Monday 8:30pm
    Should be the game of the tourney up to this point. I could see anything happening. Going w/ IUPUI right now.

Final:
    1.) Oakland vs. 2.) IUPUI Tuesday on ESPN2
    Oakland had the game won last year vs. NDSU..until Ben happened. I just believe they have been waiting for this tourney all year and will really light it up in SooFoo. I don't think anyone stays within 12 the whole weekend.

Comment

I don't think I'd chalk up Western Illinois in Frost as an automatic win. They are playing MUCH better lately. The went to Tulsa and won (and almost nobody does that) and they just beat Southern Utah fairly convincingly, holding them under 50 points. WIU gets a UMKC team that just got kerblasticated at IUPUI and is reeling a bit. WIU brings the D, and the're getting great guard play right now.

If I'm the Jacks I'd much rather have another crack at NDSU than play IPFW in the first round, but that's just me. (I hate IPFW )

If I'm Oakland, the absolute last team I want to see in the Summit League tournament is SDSU. I think Nagy has pretty much got Kampe figured out, and for whatever reason, Cordova always seems to bring his A+ game when he's up against Benson. If a bounce or two (finally) goes SDSU's way, the Jacks can beat Oakland, and I think both teams know it.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        I don't think I'd chalk up Western Illinois in Frost as an automatic win. They are playing MUCH better lately. The went to Tulsa and won (and almost nobody does that) and they just beat Southern Utah fairly convincingly, holding them under 50 points. WIU gets a UMKC team that just got kerblasticated at IUPUI and is reeling a bit. WIU brings the D, and the're getting great guard play right now.

If I'm the Jacks I'd much rather have another crack at NDSU than play IPFW in the first round, but that's just me. (I hate IPFW )

If I'm Oakland, the absolute last team I want to see in the Summit League tournament is SDSU. I think Nagy has pretty much got Kampe figured out, and for whatever reason, Cordova always seems to bring his A+ game when he's up against Benson. If a bounce or two (finally) goes SDSU's way, the Jacks can beat Oakland, and I think both teams know it.
        Nagy's double team of Benson was working great against him, plus Benson didnt play the whole game, sat out a lot, unfortunately by covering double on Benson (12pts) it left Will "the thrill" Hudson open for 22pts. Plus Jones 3 bombs really hurt us.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
          Nagy's double team of Benson was working great against him, plus Benson didnt play the whole game, sat out a lot, unfortunately by covering double on Benson (12pts) it left Will "the thrill" Hudson open for 22pts. Plus Jones 3 bombs really hurt us.
          If Benson leaves after this season, IMO, you've got to pick SDSU ahead of Oakland next year.

---

BTW: I couldn't believe how many empty seats there were at the O'Rena last night. This is as good as Oakland is going to be for the next couple years; allegedly the best pro-prospect in the state, 20 wins, playing for the league title, and there were what? sixty fans visible on camera?

That, folks, is why SDSU is in the Summit. At its WORST, SDSU MBB drew better than that.

Heck, SDSU VOLLEYBALL draws better than that.

Comment

Wouldn't the summit league want sdsu #4 or #5 and NDSU #7 for attendence reason (sat & sun)? im obviously a ndsu fan, but im not stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by are you serious View Post
              Wouldn't the summit league want sdsu #4 or #5 and NDSU #7 for attendence reason (sat & sun)? im obviously a ndsu fan, but im not stupid.
              Attendance would likely be better if NDSU and SDSU play different nights on the weekend, little doubt about that. As for the rest of your statement, I'll reserve judgment for now.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                If Benson leaves after this season, IMO, you've got to pick SDSU ahead of Oakland next year.

---

BTW: I couldn't believe how many empty seats there were at the O'Rena last night. This is as good as Oakland is going to be for the next couple years; allegedly the best pro-prospect in the state, 20 wins, playing for the league title, and there were what? sixty fans visible on camera?

That, folks, is why SDSU is in the Summit. At its WORST, SDSU MBB drew better than that.

Heck, SDSU VOLLEYBALL draws better than that.
                Yes, if Benson leaves (I think he will) then Oakland loses alot w/ him, Nelson and JJ leaving. I wouldn't put it past Kampe to pull in so good recruits, but replacing those three are similar to replacing the Bison big three from last year.

If that happens I think SDSU is picked 3rd next year, maybe 2nd by some. ORU will probably be the favorites. They are young and talented. IUPUI will still have a solid team. Oakland will still be good and NDSU should be good as well, only losing Vaughun and having alot of young talent. I see those four being in the top 4 spots for the majority of the foreseeable future.

Comment

I think in 5 years NDSU, SDSU and USD are probably top 3 in ACTUAL attendance. ORU doesn't report on actual attendance but tickets sold. You'll watch a game on TV and it looks like there are less than 1,000 there and the box score the next day reports the attendance at 6k. Not sure if Oakland does the same. Oakland does get pretty good crowds though. Last year they were 2nd in the country in biggest attendance jump. It was like 99%. They went from something like 2,500 to 4,950.

Oakland (just outside Detroit) and ORU (Tulsa - population 400k) have just a liiiiiitle more people than Brookings, Vermillion or Fargo/Moorhead.

Comment

There was actually a good crowd there. At least a couple thousand. Not a sell out but not bad. Now for the womens game, listen for crickets or at least me yelling for the Jacks. Channel 2 Fox Detroit was there and showed highlights on the ten and eleven o clock news. The NDSU game is going to be on FoxSports Detroit this sat I believe they said.

Comment

Oakland's attendance jump was due in no small part to a game vs. Michigan State at the Palace that counted as a home game for Oakland----despite the overwhelming number of Spartan fans at the game.

And I'm pretty sure they report ticket distribution, not butts in the seats.

Comment

JACKMD-"Attendance would likely be better if NDSU and SDSU play different nights on the weekend, little doubt about that. As for the rest of your statement, I'll reserve judgment for now."

you're a moderator? ouch, stalin-esque!

Comment

Originally posted by are you serious View Post
                          ouch, stalin-esque!
                          Hey. You've got all of 8 posts on the board, and being a Bison fan doesn't exactly count as a demonstration of intelligence around here.

Hence the reservation of judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            Hey. You've got all of 8 posts on the board, and being a Bison fan doesn't exactly count as a demonstration of intelligence around here.

Hence the reservation of judgment.
                            The profile for said poster says he is a broadcaster from Sturgis. I dont think that is enough to paint him green and gold, the John Deere colors of NDSU. Could he be referring to BHSU at Spearfish? I do not know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              The profile for said poster says he is a broadcaster from Sturgis. I dont think that is enough to paint him green and gold, the John Deere colors of NDSU. Could he be referring to BHSU at Spearfish? I do not know.
                              Check his signature. Also see post 6 in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X