Wisconsin-Milwaukee (Women)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin-Milwaukee (Women)

Just realized this game was this afternoon . . .

39-38, UWM, 15:47 to go in the game.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Wisconsin-Milwaukee (Women)

7:47 left in the game. Jacks lead 55-42.

;D Go Jacks
    An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
    US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

64-47 4:41 left

Comment

Jacks Win !!
        70-55

Comment

I was at the game until there was about 4 minutes left in the game. The one comment I have is the depth of talent in most of the positions for the women. The center position is a little thin. We have a few seniors and juniors with some good experience to mix in with the younger players. You can't tell who some of the freshman are because they aren't playing like freshman.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

i see ndsu beat middle tennesee today 65-58, the bison led 30-17 at halftime. maybe the middle tennesse girls had cold brains the first half

Comment

I just got back from the game and overall a nice win for the Jacks. They came out a little sluggish to begin the game and AJ mentioned that in is his post game. He was happy with the execution but seemed like the team was lacking emotion on the court. He said the coaches need to learn how to get the team fired up for the 2nd game on weekends.

The Jacks cranked up the defensive pressure in the second half, starting about 4 minutes in till around the 4-5 minutes left. The jacks were forcing bad passes and coming up with steals that started about a 12-2 spurt that kept the lead in double digits for the remainder of the game. Heather was moving much better today than in the loss on Friday, a healthy Sieler on Friday and we probably would have won.

I agree with you bub94, it is difficult to tell who the Freshman are because they all play so well. The team doesn't seem to have the anticipation on offense as the Davis/Pater/Schlagel teams but should improve as they gain experience. I am looking forward to watching this team play over the next few seasons.

Comment

I also noticed Steve Holdren was at the game today. Seems like even with the injury, he was pretty cheerful.
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...512050324/1002

SDSU scores victory 2nd-half run leads way past Wis.-Milwaukee

Chris Solari
                  csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 12/5/05, 6:50 am

BROOKINGS - Overcoming a sluggish first half and an early second-half burst by Wisconsin-Milwaukee, South Dakota State coach Aaron Johnston found the right combination to give his team the spark it needed.

Freshman Stacie Oistad drained a 3-pointer that began a 19-2 run to lead the Jackrabbit women to a 70-55 victory over the Panthers on Sunday afternoon at Frost Arena.

Oistad, a 6-foot forward from Sartell, Minn., had seven of her eight points in a four-minute span that saw SDSU (4-2) go from a point down to the lead for good.

"Coming out of halftime, we really wanted to work on our intensity on defense," Oistad said. "That really carried over into our offense."

The Panthers (3-4) took a 39-38 lead by making six of their first seven shots to start the second half. Johnston, trying to learn the personality of his young team, paired Oistad with senior Heather Sieler, sophomore Courtney Grimsrud and fellow freshmen Natalie Carda and Ashley Muckenhirn after a media timeout with 15:47 to play.

The combination worked better than expected. Oistad had a pair of 3-pointers and Carda two layups in a 12-0 spurt that knocked out the Panthers (3-4).

"Their aggressiveness, (the Jackrabbits) just turned it up," UW-Milwaukee coach Sandy Botham said. "We got back on our heels and didn't respond the way we needed to."

After Johnston inserted that lineup, the Jackrabbits forced UW-Milwaukee into 10 turnovers and 1-of-8 shooting over an eight-minute stretch. SDSU finished with 18 steals and created 27 Panther turnovers.

"Even though we were up at halftime, we weren't really playing that well. We were giving up layups and not getting out and playing defense the way we needed to," said Sieler, who finished with 10 points and four assists. "We put a good run on them, hit some nice 3s and had some nice transition stuff going on."

Johnston had three other starters in double figures, including freshman forward Jennifer Warkenthien's 11-point, seven-rebound effort. Senior Christina Gilbert had 12 points, junior Megan Vogel added 10 points and six boards while Grimsrud grabbed eight rebounds.

The five Jackrabbit freshmen combined for 32 points and 15 rebounds.

"You watch our freshmen practice, and they play like seniors all the time," Johnston said. "Then you get them into a game, and it's a different situation. The way they came back after a tough home loss like Friday is important."

Early on Sunday, SDSU, which defeated the Panthers 58-36 last season in Milwaukee, looked to be feeling the effects of a hard-fought loss to Middle Tennessee State in Friday's home opener. The Jacks needed a 7-0 run at the end of the opening half, capped by Muckenhirn's 3-pointer, to take a 31-26 cushion into halftime despite committing 13 turnovers.

Center Traci Edwards led the Panthers with 17 points. The Jackrabbits had a 20-9 edge in offensive rebounds.

Johnston will give his players today off to prepare for Thursday's game against Wisconsin in Madison, Wis. Getting another crack at Big Ten competition - SDSU lost at Purdue last December - should provide the Jackrabbits a chance to see where they are at.

"Anybody in the Big Ten is going to be tough," Sieler said. "Hopefully we can use the momentum from this game and carry it into next week and get a win."

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Comment

While we are on the subject of the women's game on Sunday, does anyone have any comments on the video inside the scoreboard on the center hung display. They didn't do it during the last men's game and this was the first I noticed they were doing it (didn't make the Friday night game).

Comment

Originally posted by bub94
                      While we are on the subject of the women's game on Sunday, does anyone have any comments on the video inside the scoreboard on the center hung display.  They didn't do it during the last men's game and this was the first I noticed they were doing it (didn't make the Friday night game).  
                      I thought the displays were all good. In fact I am really beginning to appreciate the big screen and close ups of the individual players when shooting FT's and else where during the game.

BTW, No 54 for Milwaukee was my kind of an inside player, 6-2, and well built for basketball. She was the high scorer for UWM. IF UWM can find the people who can work it inside to the post, they will get a bunch of points, as this young lady only is freshman and deadly inside the paint.

Comment

I was surprised the refs never called a foul against her when rebounding. She was just pushing the Jacks players with her size. Hey, if shaq can do it, may as well do it until you get it called against you.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94
                          While we are on the subject of the women's game on Sunday, does anyone have any comments on the video inside the scoreboard on the center hung display.  They didn't do it during the last men's game and this was the first I noticed they were doing it (didn't make the Friday night game).  

I really liked having the video in the center and the players scoring along the sides of the video. I agree with SDSUFAN, it does give you a different view showing closeups of the players.

Comment

I went to the Sunday game and have to agree that those freshmen can hoop it up. Most impressed with Jen Warkentin and Morgan Meier coming off the bench to spell Heather. I can hardly wait until Texas State comes to town.

Comment

Congrates Lady Jacks!!!! Keep up the good work. All of us Alums are so proud of how well you are playing.

Lets Go Rabits!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X