Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
    I haven't seen too much. I mostly listen to local AM talk Radio. I think most of the ads are done on 570 AM, which also carries games. It has a huge transmitting area around 5 states, but maybe for this game focus should be more on Sioux Falls. Do they have an exclusive agreement or something? Admittedly, I don't watch much TV, so I don't know what is happening there.

At a city league basketball game last night I asked all my teammates if they were planning on attending the Manhattan game. They did not know about it, but they were all excited and talking about the overtime win last week. Not too many guys on the other team seemed to know about the game, either. These are all sports fans, so if they did not know about the game, I'm guessing a lot of others probably don't. I'm doing my part, and I think I have convinced about 5-10 people to go.

On a side note-and possibly inappropriate-are there going to be beer sales at the game? Maybe it is not allowed since it is a college event? This might be an additional draw, as a lot of people like to go to Skyforce and Stampede games for the "festive" atmosphere.
    I'm a bit dismayed about the lack of promotion, if this is an accurate report. Why schedule a basketball game in Sioux Falls and then not promote the heck out of it?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think it's all about dollars. I just don't think we have the money to properly market our product right now. It's going to take a lot of word of mouth by people on this board and others who are passionate about SDSU. I really think WNAX needs an affiliate station in Sioux Falls. I responded to this over on the Bison Board where someone started a post about whether people in South Dakota were behind the move to DI. WNAX while having a huge signal and listening area just does not resonate in Sioux Falls. I would love to hear Steve Immings voice booming on other stations around the state. Someone on Bisonville suggested that one of the Sioux Falls TV stations should take the lead and become affiliated with the State's only DI program. In the mean time a grass roots effort of taking or suggesting to someone about taking in a Jacks game is a good approach. There are plenty of people in Sioux Falls and around the state who I think if exposed to the product will embrace it and follow our teams.

Comment

There has been a number of ads run on KSFY during the 10:00 news and during Monday Night Football.

Comment

KYSF is I believe part of the group of advertisers who are paying for Daktronics scoreboards and they have run KYSF ads at the game on the video board, with Brookings people being in the ad saying they have switched to KYSF from apparently KELO or other stationss.

Comment

Actually both KSFY and KDLT are advertisers in Frost Arena . . .

I feel somewhat better hearing about the KSFY ads.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Just today a fellow grad and colleague of mine commented they should be showing games on TV to get people more exited. I agreed, but told him it would likely take awhile.

Hopefully a KSFY or KDLT will see the light and sign on!!

Would be great to see the Minnesota or Nebraska games on TV.

As for advertising, I don't watch much tv or listen to any commercial radio, do glance the Argus occasionally, but haven't seen any ads yet.

Hopefully the Argus will make it a game of the week and put in in large print on Sunday or Monday.

Comment

What about showing games public TV? Probably not the best option, but since SDSU is a public university, it would be a public service to show them. And I bet they would get better ratings than the stuff they show now. ;D ;D They show state tournaments on PBS when other programming is on the private stations. I think they have a base of operations in Brookings, too. Just a thought.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
                  What about showing games public TV? Probably not the best option, but since SDSU is a public university, it would be a public service to show them. And I bet they would get better ratings than the stuff they show now. ;D ;D They show state tournaments on PBS when other programming is on the private stations. I think they have a base of operations in Brookings, too. Just a thought.
                  You mean that public TV network which closed it's Brookings studio several years ago and now runs exclusively out of Vermillion? That public TV network? Of course, I'd never suggest that executives and producers living in Vermillion would have any sort of reluctance to spotlight SDSU athletics. Never would think of it.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Whoops, I wasn't aware of the change. :-[ Yeah, I can see why they might not show our games.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

• Re: Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos

Actually, the studio is still open. They run On-Call and Garden Line from the Brookings Studio. They also did Midwest Market Analysis, but no longer.
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
                        Actually, the studio is still open. They run On-Call and Garden Line from the Brookings Studio. They also did Midwest Market Analysis, but no longer.
                        Yes but if I recall correctly, the studio is actually owned/operated by SDSU Educational Technologies nowadays, not SDPTV.

Regardless, the question is not whether or not there is the technical capability to produce SDSU athletics broadcasts (there is, on campus) but whether or not SDPTV would think that it was a good idea to do so.

I suspect not. (Although the fundraising Friends of SD Public Broadcasting is still in Pugsley Hall, I believe, and money does talk . . . )
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

That and the fact that a lot of the executives and staff in Verm town are transplants from SDSU. They got das boot when the station closed too. :-/

Comment

Working...
                          X