Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Summit Power Rankings....

1.) Oakland 6-0
    All alone at the top. Their win at ORU gives them a great shot at running the table.

T-2.) SDSU 5-1
    3-1 already on the road. I believe, after tommorow, the Jacks will have played the most games on the road so far in the Summit. Road record and win over ORU give Jacks legitimacy so far.

T-2.) IUPUI 5-1
    Overtime win over ORU tonight in Conseco Fieldhouse after they led ORU by 15 at the half. Just 1-1 on the road (4-0 at home) but one road loss was at Oakland (82-85), so they have that out of the way. Jags Have already played Oakland, SDSU and ORU and are 5-1, telling me they are legit. I think they end up taking second place this year and could give Oakland their toughest test.

4.) Oral Roberts 4-3
    Who would have thought after ORU beat #12 New Mexico that they would go just 3-2 in the Summit. To their benefit, they have some tough games out of the way. They are done with the Dakota trip (a roadtrip they've never swept) as well as a home game against Oakland and a road game at IUPUI. They have already played all three teams above them, 2 on the road. ORU is averaging the second fewest point in conference and their outside and FT shooting has been awful. A quick note while we're on free throws....the Summit has 4 teams in the top 46 in the country (SUU 11th, Centenary 28th, SDSU 43rd, IUPUI 46th)

5.) UMKC 2-3
    The good news...they have already played at Oakland and ORU. Not a bad team who is good enough to beat everyone below them at home or on the road. They have already won more games than they did all last year.

6.) NDSU 2-3
    Bison are just 1-4 versus D1 teams at home, not a good sign. Their two wins are @WIU and home against Centenary, not very impressive. Two of their other three conference losses are okay (ORU and @IUPUI) but the loss at SUU is not good. Could jump ahead of UMKC, but I don't think much further. The good news is they look like they can't fall any lower, or, behind the likes of SUU, CC, WIU or IPFW.

7.) Centenary 2-5
    The Gents actually started out pretty good this year (4-2) before dropping eight of their last nine. Only two league wins are both at home over SUU and IPFW, so nothing really special there. They have 7 games left against the top four, so I don't expect an improvement at all for the Gents.

8.) IPFW 2-4
    The good news for the 'Dons is they have already played Oakland, ORU and IUPUI. The bad news is they lost all those games by 8 or more and also lost at Centenary by 13. Their two league wins are both at home and both over the worst two teams in the league.

9.) WIU 1-5
    Leathernecks just claimed their first league win of the year, over Centenary at home. They are tops in the league in defense, but the exact opposite on offense. They have one player averaging double-digits (Clark 12.3). They have three road games out of the way, two against IUPUI and Oakland. If they get some help on offense they could jump up to 7th, but probably not any higher.

10.) SUU 1-5
    The T-Birds are winless on the road for the season. Their lone win was a come-from-behind home win over NDSU. Their wins this year are over McNeese St, Southwest, Wayland Baptist, Cal Riverside and NDSU. I think SUU will be what we thought UMKC and/or Centenary would be this year....a trainwreck.

My predicted finish:
    1.) Oakland
    2.) IUPUI
    3.) ORU
    4.) SDSU
    5.) NDSU
    6.) UMKC
    7.) WIU
    8.) *Centenary
    9.) IPFW
    10.) SUU

* not eligible for postseason play

Re: My Summit Power Rankings....

How can you justify SDSU being tied with IUPUI?

Comment

Yes, Jacks lost to IUPUI @ Indy, but the 3-1 on the road justifies being tied. This indicates that Jacks will be favored at home vs IUPUI.

We'll know more after tonight. If Jacks move to 4-1 on road win win over Bison, then have 4 road games left, and likely to split those. If Jacks don't pull road win vs Bison, then Jacks slip into #3 or #4 slot.

Comment

Good write-up, but I have to agree with Hando in that IUPUI is #2 and SDSU is #3. They whooped us when we came to their house and they just beat Oral Roberts on the road. The Jacks have played well as of late but our conference wins are against the lower tier teams, besides the ORU win.

The thing I like most about this Jacks team is the amount of depth we've played with. No other team in the conference spreads it's minutes like the Jacks and come the end of the season a couple of teams are going to be worn a bit thin. IUPUI, NDSU, & Oral Roberts only play 7-8 guys and have 3 players who log a ton of minutes. It could have no effect, or could wind up that these teams are worn down come tourney time.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
          Good write-up, but I have to agree with Hando in that IUPUI is #2 and SDSU is #3. They whooped us when we came to their house and they just beat Oral Roberts on the road. The Jacks have played well as of late but our conference wins are against the lower tier teams, besides the ORU win.

The thing I like most about this Jacks team is the amount of depth we've played with. No other team in the conference spreads it's minutes like the Jacks and come the end of the season a couple of teams are going to be worn a bit thin. IUPUI, NDSU, & Oral Roberts only play 7-8 guys and have 3 players who log a ton of minutes. It could have no effect, or could wind up that these teams are worn down come tourney time.
          IUPUI needed OT to beat ORU in Indianapolis last night. The game was played at Conseco Fieldhouse not in Tulsa

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
            IUPUI needed OT to beat ORU in Indianapolis last night. The game was played at Conseco Fieldhouse not in Tulsa
            Thanks for the correction. I guess that does even it out a bit. When IUPUI beat the Jacks it was during a particularly bad stretch for the Jacks and they defiantly didn't give it their best effort.

Comment

Next Saturday will tell a lot about how you compare to IUPUI. They played Oakland to the wire on the road. Do that, and I could see the gap becoming much smaller.

Comment

The only reason I have SDSU and IUPUI tied is b/c SDSU is 3-1 on the road and IUPUI is 1-1. Road games in conference play are very tough. The fact that IUPUI whipped SDSU should maybe put them ahead of SDSU. I don't know, I'm not getting paid here guys . But on the other hand, SDSU hasn't had a chance to play IUPUI at Frost yet.

Now if SDSU wins at NDSU tonight and goes to 4-1 on the road, where do you put them? I still say tied w/ IUPUI. If they we lose in Fargo, where the Bison are 1-4 on the year against D1 opponents, then we should drop to #3.

Either way, the Jacks are 9-2 at home in Summit play the last two years (losses were to eventual League Champ NDSU and defending league champ ORU) and our road woes have been well documented, so it's going to be real nice to have 5 road games out of the way after tonight. The most conference road games by any Summit team.

Comment

Remember that we whooped up on IUPUI at home last year...granted it was one of our best performances of the year.

Comment

Let's go 1-0 this week and let the standings speak for themselves.

Go Jacks!!!

Whip up on those Bison!!!
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Sdsu #3

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                        Sdsu #3
                        And closer to #4 than #2, it seems . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Current standings (as of 1-27-10):

1.) Oakland 9-0
                          2.) IUPUI 8-1
                          3.) SDSU 6-3 *won head-to-head against ORU
                          4.) ORU 6-3
                          5.) IPFW 4-5 *won head-to-head against NDSU
                          6.) NDSU 4-5
                          7.) UMKC 3-6
                          8.) WIU 2-7 *won head-to-head against Centenary
                          9.) Centenary 2-7
                          10.) Southern Utah 1-8

This weekend:
                          I think Oakland goes to 11-0 in a close one at IUPUI and a blowout of WIU.

IUPUI falls to 9-2 after an Oakland loss and then beating IPFW.

SDSU falls back to 4th (7-4) as they split the roadtrip, losing at ORU.

ORU jumps to 3rd (8-3) after beating both Dakota schools at home.

NDSU stays at 5th and goes to 4-7 after splitting the CC-ORU roadtrip.

UMKC, after losing last night to NDSU, wins at SUU, improving to 4-6.

WIU falls to 2-9, CC to 2-9 and SUU to 1-9.

No question, in my mind that the top 5 are set. I think Oakland takes it, IUPUI 2nd, ORU 3rd and SDSU 4th is pretty much a given. IPFW and NDSU will hold down the next two spots, just tough to say who is 5th and who is 6th. IPFW has already beat NDSU at NDSU, so they have the slight advantage.

A friend of mine recently attended the SF Sports Authority meeting. He said they were bummed b/c, if the season ended today, SDSU and NDSU would be the 3 and 6 seeds and would play first round (something that noone in the Dakotas wants to see). I said I also have them meeting first round, just as the 4th and 5th seeds. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Comment

The final standing for NDSU and IPFW could really impact the Summit tourney.

IPFW has 5 road/4 home games. They have to play at IUPUI, at Oakland as well as SDSU and the head-to-head against NDSU. Four of their remaining nine are against the bottom four in the league.

IPFW
                            @WIU W (my prediction)
                            @IUPUI L
                            ORU L
                            Centenary W
                            @UMKC L
                            @SUU W
                            NDSU W
                            SDSU L
                            @Oakland L

NDSU also has 5 road/4 home games left. Four of the five road games will be tough. They also play four of the bottom four teams. The schedule seems to favor IPFW simply b/c in their head-to-head they get NDSU (who they beat in Fargo) at home. NDSU also still has to play at ORU (toughest road game in the league) and IPFW doesn't.

NDSU
                            @ORU L (my prediction)
                            @Centenary W
                            UMKC W
                            SUU W
                            @SDSU L
                            @IPFW L
                            @Oakland L
                            IUPUI L
                            WIU W

Comment

My updated prediction on the Summit Tourney:

Saturday 6PM: 1.) Oakland vs. 8.) WIU
                              Saturday 8:30PM: 2.) IUPUI vs. 7.) UMKC

Sunday 6PM: 4.) SDSU vs. 5.) IPFW
                              Sunday 8:30PM: 3.) ORU vs. 6.) NDSU

1.) vs. 8.) winner plays 4.) vs. 5.) winner
                              2.) vs. 7.) winner plays 3.) vs. 6.) winner

The best bet for the Summit and/or SFSA would be for SDSU to get the 2 seed and NDSU as the 6 seed. That would mean both Dakota schools play the 8:30 games on back-to-back nights, meaning they probably show up sometime during the 6PM games to get their seats. Last year, both teams played on the first day, this year they'll play on the second day (most likely). I just don't see SDSU doing any better than 3rd. A SDSU-NDSU 3 vs. 6 is very possible, but that would mean Sundays games would be a ghost town. ORU wouldn't be happy as they go from hosting the tourney to suddenly having to travel to the frigid north and two years in a row face Dakota schools opening round.

My prediction:
                              Oakland over WIU
                              IUPUI over UMKC
                              SDSU over IPFW
                              ORU over NDSU

Oakland over SDSU
                              IUPUI over ORU

Oakland 81
                              IUPUI 68

Oakland gets a 13 or 14 seed. IUPUI gets invited to that other post season tourney (not the NCAA's or NIT).

Comment

Working...
                              X