Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sioux Falls is Gold and Blue for the Holidays!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux Falls is Gold and Blue for the Holidays!

I’ve been out Christmas shopping this week and noticed something I wanted to share with the board. Sioux Falls is Blue and Gold. Everywhere I looked I saw someone wearing State gear! It used to be everybody wearing Nebraska garb, but now it seems to be a 1:1 ratio of SDSU:Nebraska clothing.

Not only that, when I looked in stores for SDSU gear, it is often next to USD stuff. Or I should say was, because the SDSU pile was down to one or two while the USD looked like it had hardly been touched. This is truly awesome in a town where USD used to be the only stuff you could find.

This tells me a couple things:

1-SDSU has a lot of fans statewide who support the move to DI in athletics.

2-SDSU has a lot of people across the state proud to wear blue and gold.

3-Fan support is still there, but people are waiting for a reason to come out to the games in numbers like they had in the past. I hope the last two games were the beginning of that reason. I look to see a lot of fans in SF next week for the NY game.

One last thing. All you fans in the Brookings area who complain that not enough people come up from SF to watch games, make sure you make the trip down to watch one (and bring your cowbells). Put your money where your mouth is. Start making travel plans now. Carpool, if you must.

This will be the first chance many Sioux Falls residents will have to see DI basketball. Show the good people of Sioux Falls the atmosphere they have been missing, and they will start to draw better numbers in Brookings.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: Sioux Falls is Gold and Blue for the Holidays!

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
    I’ve been out Christmas shopping this week and noticed something I wanted to share with the board. Sioux Falls is Blue and Gold. Everywhere I looked I saw someone wearing State gear! It used to be everybody wearing Nebraska garb, but now it seems to be a 1:1 ratio of SDSU:Nebraska clothing.

Not only that, when I looked in stores for SDSU gear, it is often next to USD stuff. Or I should say was, because the SDSU pile was down to one or two while the USD looked like it had hardly been touched. This is truly awesome in a town where USD used to be the only stuff you could find.

This tells me a couple things:

1-SDSU has a lot of fans statewide who support the move to DI in athletics.

2-SDSU has a lot of people across the state proud to wear blue and gold.

3-Fan support is still there, but people are waiting for a reason to come out to the games in numbers like they had in the past. I hope the last two games were the beginning of that reason. I look to see a lot of fans in SF next week for the NY game.

One last thing. All you fans in the Brookings area who complain that not enough people come up from SF to watch games, make sure you make the trip down to watch one (and bring your cowbells). Put your money where your mouth is. Start making travel plans now. Carpool, if you must.

This will be the first chance many Sioux Falls residents will have to see DI basketball. Show the good people of Sioux Falls the atmosphere they have been missing, and they will start to draw better numbers in Brookings.

Er, you meant "Yellow and Blue" right?

And, Snookums and I are coming up from Kansas City for the two women's games and the Manhattan game in Sioux Falls.

Rise up, Jackrabbit Nation!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I was flying back from Dallas on a business trip last week and got seated next to an older lady that was wearing an SDSU windshirt. Turns out her husband played on the '63 championship team.

Comment

The Rabbits use yellow, and the Gophers use gold, but the difference between the colors is very subtle. It's just a matter of convention - both are really shades of yellow, but we've agreed to call the paler color yellow, and the slightly darker color gold.

Comment

Originally posted by RodentiaX
          The Rabbits use yellow, and the Gophers use gold, but the difference between the colors is very subtle. It's just a matter of convention - both are really shades of yellow, but we've agreed to call the paler color yellow, and the slightly darker color gold.
          http://www3.sdstate.edu/TechnologySu...WideWebPolicy/

University Colors
          The official University colors are blue and yellow, which translate in printing to PMS 287 (blue) and PMS 109 (yellow).

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Tr...Song/Index.cfm

RING THE BELLS
          Ring the bells for South Dakota
          The Yellow and the Blue;
          Cheer the team from South Dakota
          With loyal hearts so true;
          Win the game for South Dakota
          The School that serves us well;
          We will fight for South Dakota
          So let's ring, ring, ring those bells.

THE YELLOW AND BLUE
          We come from the Sioux and Missouri,
          The Cheyenne and the Jim,
          From pine clad peaks of the Black Hills,
          Brimful of vigor and vim.
          We sing the song of the prairie,
          The home of the Yellow and Blue.
          The gleaming gold of the corn field,
          The flax of azure hue.
          (chorus)
          Oh SDSU hurrah for the Yellow and Blue;
          Old SDSU all honor and glory to you;
          For ever raise the song in praise both loud and long
          With loyal heart so true (so true)
          Oh loyal hearts and true (and true,
          so true).

Sorry to be a stickler on this point, but SDSU's colors are yellow and blue, unlike that small Lutheran college in Sioux Falls, or that teacher's college in northern Colorado ;D ;D
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Sooooo sorry. I guess I should have realized how everyone would react to my use of the wrong shade of the same color. Maybe some veteran posters or older grads could clear up a question for me; is our yellow more of a canary yellow or lemon yellow? Just in case I ever want to post something positive, I want to make sure I get the minor details right so everyone doesn't focus on them.

This whole string is another great example of when posters take something positive-like seeing lots of SDSU clothes-and focus on the negative. Great work everyone!! ;D
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Sooooo sorry. I guess I should have realized how everyone would react to my use of the wrong shade of the same color. Maybe some veteran posters or older grads could clear up a question for me; is our yellow more of a canary yellow or lemon yellow? Just in case I ever want to post something positive, I want to make sure I get the minor details right so everyone doesn't focus on them.

This whole string is another great example of when posters take something positive-like seeing lots of SDSU clothes-and focus on the negative. Great work everyone!! ;D
              Aw, c'mon, it isn't everyone who's jumping on you, just lil' ol' me. Of course, I'm well north of 250 lbs, so if I jump on you, you're gonna notice!

Everybody has their pet peeves . . . this is just one of mine! You hit a hot button, is all. No harm, as long as you've learned your lesson!!! :-)

I think it's great that (yellow) and blue are showing up more and more in S.F. and around S.D.

It will only increase as we continue to progress into D-I athletics. Buy more SDSU stuff and wear it, everyone!!!!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Thanks, filbert. Fair enough. I will take you off my list of people to hate forever.

Comment

Thanks, filbert. Fair enough. I will take you off my list of people to hate forever.
                  Whew!
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Thanks, filbert.  Fair enough.  I will take you off my list of people to hate forever.

Haha

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

Aw, c'mon, it isn't everyone who's jumping on you, just lil' ol' me.  Of course, I'm well north of 250 lbs, so if I jump on you, you're gonna notice!

Everybody has their pet peeves . . . this is just one of mine!  You hit a hot button, is all.  No harm, as long as you've learned your lesson!!! :-)

I think it's great that (yellow) and blue are showing up more and more in S.F. and around S.D.

It will only increase as we continue to progress into D-I athletics.  Buy more SDSU stuff and wear it, everyone!!!!
                      I would not worry too much about this mistake as its been made many, many times. In fact, I did not pay that much attention, until one Saturday morning at a cafe a former Oral Communication Professor, Larry Denton, I believe was his name had read a letter to the editor where the writer made the same mistake of refering SDSU having blue and gold school.

In his professional manner I recall him making the same point, that we have made namely he said" I believe the offical colors at SDSU are yellow and blue and not blue and gold." Apparently it meant something to Prof Denton.

When an old prof points that out you can not forget it. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

I would not worry too much about this mistake as its been made many, many times. In fact, I did not pay that much attention, until one Saturday morning at a cafe a former Oral Communication Professor, Larry Denton, I believe was his name had read a letter to the editor where the writer made the same mistake of refering SDSU having blue and gold school.

In his professional manner I recall him making the same point, that we have made namely he said" I believe the offical colors at SDSU are yellow and blue and not blue and gold." Apparently it meant something to Prof Denton.

When an old prof points that out you can not forget it. ;D
                        Sooo.....what you're saying is that I need to work on my "old prof" voice? ;D
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

No just be your self. I guess my eyes were open to this common error by his comment, that all.  Certain details are important such as yellow and blue the offical colors.

BTW to get off topic a bit, I am glad we added the checkers at each end of the court. They used to be solid blue and by March those ends appeared to be Bison Green. Not good.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                            No just be your self. I guess my eyes were open to this common error by his comment, that all. Certain details are important such as yellow and blue the offical colors.

BTW to get off topic a bit, I am glad we added the checkers at each end of the court. They used to be solid blue and by March those ends appeared to be Bison Green. Not good.
                            Yeah, except that my Snookums (a former Lady Vol volleyball player) now thinks we stole the checkerboard from Tennessee . . . but I remember we have had the checkerboard (at least at Coughlin) on and off for a long, long time.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                            X