Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Summit ever get two teams in the field of 65?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the Summit ever get two teams in the field of 65?

What would it take?

1.) An impressive record, like 27-4.
    2.) Be the regular season conference champs.
    3.) Lose in the conference tourney finals.
    4.) Play a good OOC schedule. (I think ORU, Oakland, SDSU all had quality OOC schedules this year)
    5.) Have at least a couple quality wins over power conference schools (I think ORU's wins over Stanford, Mizzou and NM would do it)
    6.) Have a decent conference RPI (this might never happen)

I think last year might have been close had NDSU made the Summit tourney finals, and lost. I still don't think they would have been an at-large selection. I don't think they had the quality wins. I think they would have been an NIT team (ORU would've been too if they would have made it to the finals).

Re: Will the Summit ever get two teams in the field of 65?

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
    What would it take?

4.) Play a good OOC schedule. (I think ORU, Oakland, SDSU all had quality OOC schedules this year)
    5.) Have at least a couple quality wins over power conference schools (I think ORU's wins over Stanford, Mizzou and NM would do it)

I think last year might have been close had NDSU made the Summit tourney finals, and lost. I still don't think they would have been an at-large selection. I don't think they had the quality wins. I think they would have been an NIT team (ORU would've been too if they would have made it to the finals).

Oral Roberts definately had the schedule to maybe get an auto bid had they won some of the games they should have. Beating New Mexico, Stanford and Missou was good and losing to Wake,Louisville and Virginia wasnt bad except they got beat pretty bad in all three of those losses. But when they lose to Ark-Little Rock and Sam Houston, thats the killer. Plus already having 2 conference losses. One would think if their only three losses would have been to Wake , Louisville and Virginia and then a loss in the conference championship, that would get them an auto bid. but you just never know with the selection committee.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
      What would it take?

1 and 4. You need a great OOC and win those game. If the Women would have lost to oakland in the finals last year, we would have received an at-large big.

Comment

The league would need two strong teams, one would probably need an RPI in 30s with a few marquee wins(Under 50 in RPI). The other an RPI at least under 100 so when they win the league the great team they beat isn't saddled with a "bad loss".

It is possible but a lot of things would need to happen.
        Last edited by FargoBison; 01-13-2010, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
          The league would need two strong teams, one would probably need an RPI in 30s with a few marquee wins(Under 50 in RPI). The other an RPI at least under 100.

It is possible but a lot of things would need to happen.
          Well, all you'd need is an RPI in the low 30s (maybe) and an upset winner in the championship.

It's a long time out, a long long time out.

Comment

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cbsend.htm

Here is Sagarins. Right now Oakland has the higher APR at 109 and a schedule ranking of 36 in the nation. They would have the best chance of getting an at-large bid but I don't see that happening.

Comment

It might happen someday, I don't think that with the teams in the conference now that it will ever.... It would take they perfect situation for it to happen.... a top 25 team or near top 25, RPI's in the 30's and an upset "very close" loss in the championship of the tournament....

Comment

I think part of it is the reputation and history of the school as well. For instance, I think us and ORU could have very comparable records, rankings, and whatever but they would have an easier time getting an at-large bid because of their success.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks nl View Post
                  1 and 4. You need a great OOC and win those game. If the Women would have lost to oakland in the finals last year, we would have received an at-large big.
                  The women had the 2nd best record in the country and were in the top 20 pretty much all year. I don't expect that to ever be the case w/ the men.

Comment

A great point was made on the ORU board. ORUJason talked how one year Missouri State who's Conference (MVC) RPI is always in the Top 10, didn't get an at-large bid when they lost in the finals of the MVC tournament. Missouri St had just 5 losses and an RPI in the 30's.

It's weird, the NCAA doesn't want to have mid or small major teams in the Big Dance, but when they do get in and do well it's all they want to talk about. 9 out of 10 people would probably say they love March Madness so much b/c of the "little guy".

Comment

NO..

Comment

Originally posted by couger71 View Post
                        NO..
                        Gotcha. Good point.

Comment

Might be a moot point if the NCAA expands the tournament, which I think they will--they won't be able to turn down the extra $$$ that ESPN/ABC/Disney will throw at them (and that CBS will have to match, or not . . .)

Of course, that just means that more sub-.500 teams from the "power conferences" will get picked over quality mid-majors . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The League will need to have a team like Gonzaga or Butler.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              Might be a moot point if the NCAA expands the tournament, which I think they will--they won't be able to turn down the extra $$$ that ESPN/ABC/Disney will throw at them (and that CBS will have to match, or not . . .)

Of course, that just means that more sub-.500 teams from the "power conferences" will get picked over quality mid-majors . . .
                              I was thinking the other day if having two tourneys would work. Not the NCAA's and the NIT but moreso maybe a power conference tourney deciding the NCAA champion and then a low/mid-major tourney, giving them some sort of second-tier title. Of course it's all about money and you wonder how the lesser tourney would be attended/watched on TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X