Eric Heien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Heien

Can anyone tell me a little more about Eric Heien? He has played great the last two games. I didn't think he was even on the radar screen this season. Did he get more playing time due to line up changes because of Holdren's injury? Is he on scholarship? A walk-on?

By the way, I'm thinking about growing a mustache in his honor.

Re: Eric Heien

The story is and I believe Coach Nagy mentioned in one of his interviews on WNAX that he had transferred from Mount Marty.  This is kind of interesting since the coach at Mount Marty is Jim Thorson.

I suspect  SDSU may have had a major that Eric wanted and that is why he left Mount Marty. Maybe the finanical asssistance at Marty may also have been a consideration. SDSU is cheaper and it appears he may be getting a few more bucks here if his playing continues to improve.

Or it could be that he was not happy with coach. Who knows? I dont. I do know Jim Thorson, long ago, coached in Gettysburg and in fact coached Gettysburg to a  state B tourney.  Coaches especially in smaller towns never cut off all their contacts with friends etc.
    Maybe Eric's dad or uncle was on that state champ team. I dont know. I think there was a Thorson-Gettysburg connect that got him to Mount Marty.
    I suspect that may be why Eric started at Mount Marty.

The kid is definitely on his way to be a very good D1 player. He is giving us the spark we need now.

This what I know and that may not be much.

Comment

Eric's brother, Corey, also played at Mount Marty.

He has been doing well lately. Hopefully he keeps it up!!!

Comment

Eric did play 2 years at Mount Marty.. He transferred to SDSU because they did not have his major and really did not like the BB program there. His brother was at Mount Marty also. Last year he was a practice player on the Jacks team.. He has worked hard to be on this team.. He has seen very little playing time until the Milwaukee game where he started his first game and has played very well since.. It is an amazing story for a walk on kid to go from no playing time to making a major contribution to the team in 3 games. It goes to show you that working hard and knowing the game will get it done.. No matter if you are a scholarship kid or a walk on if you have the heart and drive you will succeed. Sometimes the scholarship kids will be allowed to make more mistakes for awhile but if they don't produce somone will take their place if they are given a chance. Eric has been given this chance and he has done very well.

Comment

Chooper,

Welcome to the board, thanks for posting.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I heard a funny story about how Eric came to being on the team. It is from a pretty reliable source so I am repeating it here.

Last season there were some injuries early on and we didn't have enough players to really practice well. Nagy heard that Eric had transferred here and went out and found him. The story I heard was that Nagy found him in the library, talked to him and brought him on as a practice player. If this is fact I think its an incredible story and even if it isn't totally factual It's still amazing that a kid that was a practice player last year and an afterthought (I don't even remember him dressing for games last year) has made his way in one year to the starting lineup. Go Eric!

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
              I heard a funny story about how Eric came to being on the team.  It is from a pretty reliable source so I am repeating it here.  

Last season there were some injuries early on and we didn't have enough players to really practice well.  Nagy heard that Eric had transferred here and went out and found him.  The story I heard was that Nagy found him in the library, talked to him and brought him on as a practice player.  If this is fact I think its an incredible story and even if it isn't totally factual It's still amazing that a kid that was a practice player last year and an afterthought (I don't even remember him dressing for games last year) has made his way in one year to the starting lineup.  Go Eric!
              I heard a similar story, except Eric first approached Coach Nagy. He was originally told there was no place for him on the team. Only after the injuries occurred did Coach Nagy ask him to play.

Another little known fact about Eric is that, despite how big he looks on the court, he is actually 7'0" and once deforested almost half of North America. His big blue ox is enjoying a quiet retirement at the Heien farm outside Gettysburg, SD (nice cows up there). Eric's mustache originated during the 8th century, once seen by the hoarding Mongols. Eric wears it in honor of their ruthless pilaging and three point shooting. ;D ;D ;D

He is playing awesome, and I hope it continues. ;D
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

We must be talking about a different Eric. The one who plays for state is in the 6' range. ;D

I actually went to school in Gettysburg for one year before I moved to a town 40 miles from there. I was pretty young so I asked my parents if they remembered any Heien's. They didn't but this was the middle 1970s so Eric wasn't even around. A friend from work said him and his brothers were all good high school players. I remember seeing Eric on the bench all last year and wondered who the heck he was. He was shooting really well on Saturday night so I hope it can continue for him for the rest of the year. Seems like a good kid.
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I'm not making a comparison here, but I think there is a similar story about how ex Phoenix Suns great Jeff Hornacek came to be at Iowa State. My only point is that sometimes there are kids that would be exceptional college athleetes but never really get "discovered" I hope Eric keeps playing well and the legend keeps growing.

Comment

In Eric's last 3 games he has scored 12 points (Nebraska); 14 points (Denver) and now against UMKC he scored 18 points and played all 40 minutes. Amazing!! If there is not a feature story on this kid in the Argus soon they are asleep at the wheel.

BTW, how do pronounce his name? Heen? Hine? Anyone know?

What a great story.

Comment

he had another great game, but didn't play 40 minutes. I know there was at least one time he was out for a breath if not a couple. you are right though, he played a lot, and played very well. The eighteen points were great but he also held their top scorer to 5 of 20 shooting.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

ESPN has him down for 40 min.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=253462571

Go State! ;D

Comment

I'm pretty sure he was out once.  He committed a turnover in the first half? Nagy took him out after the TO, and then brought him back in just a few minutes later.  I wouldn't remember but it was one of the only mistakes he made all night. I could be wrong, but i am pretty sure.   :-/
                          Doesn't really matter, he played very good.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

He was out in the 2nd half I thought, but only for a minute or two. He played very well again, especially in the 1st half.

also, it is like "hine"

Comment

He wasn't even out for a minute. They took him out and after a foul, he was sent back in.
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                              X