Legitimate regular season contenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legitimate regular season contenders?

5-1, half game out, almost half the road schedule finished. Yes or no, legitimate contenders at this point?
    Here's a vote for no, not until Jacks beat Oakland at home.

Re: Legitimate regular season contenders?

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    5-1, half game out, almost half the road schedule finished. Yes or no, legitimate contenders at this point?
    Here's a vote for no, not until Jacks beat Oakland at home.
    We have been legitimate contenders since the season began. We beat Oakland at home last season. No reason to think it cant happen again. The men and women both have a great shot at winning the tourney in SF.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
      We have been legitimate contenders since the season began. We beat Oakland at home last season. No reason to think it cant happen again. The men and women both have a great shot at winning the tourney in SF.
      Agree with the last line, not sure about regular season, though. But Jacks are set up to take care of business.

Comment

One third of the way into the season, 5-1 in conference . . . 3-1 on the road, 2-0 at home.

5 remaining road games, 7 remaining home games.

For argument's sake, let's say we go 3-2 in the remaining road games and 6-1 at home. Both aren't certainties by any stretch, but neither are they completely improbable. That works out to 14-4.

Split on the road, win at home, and it could happen. Winning at Fargo this weekend will be another big step forward for the guys. I don't think you can count on wins at Oakland or Oral Roberts--but anything can happen there, too.

Pomeroy (as of tonight) has SDSU losing both games (home and away) to Oakland and at Oral Roberts, with NDSU in Fargo and IUPUI at Frost being close to tossup games that right now he has the Jacks losing, for a final record of 13-5, which won't make it all the way up the hill.

There's a difference between being a contender and being a favorite, though. Oakland's the favorite. IUPUI and ORU are the leading contenders. The Jacks have played themselves into a contender role too. They'll probably need some breaks (and/or some really, really, really good performances to win a game or two they're "not supposed to".)

But yeah, the guys have got a shot at it. What more can you ask for?

If I had to choose, I'd rather see them win the Summit League championship game and go to the NCAA Tournament (Hey--maybe they'll get to play and win the play-in game to notch a tournament win before playing Duke or Kansas!) than winning the regular season. Actually, I'd rather they won both, but I don't want to get greedy . . .
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Hey, you win the play-in game you get 100% of the first round winner's share.

Comment

I'm just glad the conversation has turned from the gloom and doom of a month ago to some positive news today.

Let's not get the cart in front of the horse. Let's go 1-0 this week!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I expect that the rest of this season will not be all roses, there will naturally be a step back or two at some point. I hope I'm wrong, but I still think that any finish which has the Jackrabbits finishing in the top 3 or 4 teams in the conference is a great thing. A finish in the top 2 would be gravy and is possible, but I don't think it can be expected.

Not trying to be a negative influence. I just adhere more to the "don't get too down when things aren't going your way" and "don't get too high when things are going well" philosophies.

I am excited and am looking at a possible trip to Fargo on Friday. Go Jacks!
              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                One third of the way into the season, 5-1 in conference . . . 3-1 on the road, 2-0 at home.

5 remaining road games, 7 remaining home games.

For argument's sake, let's say we go 3-2 in the remaining road games and 6-1 at home. Both aren't certainties by any stretch, but neither are they completely improbable. That works out to 14-4.

Split on the road, win at home, and it could happen. Winning at Fargo this weekend will be another big step forward for the guys. . .

I actually think this game could turn out to be THE KEY to the season. Win Friday night and I believe we are contenders; that would be a fourth conference road win with a couple other definite winnables. Lose and we are still in the scrap for top of the heap, but probably not winning the regular season title outright. Go Jacks!!!!

How much higher would Jacks's fans be had they hung on against East Carolina and won what look, in hindsight, like winnable home games against Poly and Denver. How would 12-5 and 5-1 in conference look right now?

Comment

Does anybody remember how awesome it was when the Bulls got introduced with Thunderstruck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTsDN...eature=related

It was awesome!
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

If the guys can keep their turnovers down, they can be in every game. Can't have mental lapses and let teams get the streaks that have killed us in the past. I'm not looking past NDSU, but Oakland is the real test for every team in the Summit League.
                    Last edited by bub94; 01-13-2010, 10:55 AM.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Based on what I've seen I vote yes. Jacks are very aggressive on offense and on defense unlike anything I've seen from this group of guys. Confidence leads to aggressiveness. They look like a team that expects to win right now and that is huge. Jacks will contend for the Summit title.

Comment

Regular season, who cares....remember this is the Summitt League, the only thing that matters is who wins the tournament in Sioux Falls(which is basically home court for the Jacks)

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
                          Regular season, who cares....remember this is the Summitt League, the only thing that matters is who wins the tournament in Sioux Falls(which is basically home court for the Jacks)
                          I have to disagree with the only thing that matters is winning the tournament in SF and getting the auto bid.

IMO, if this teams wins the regular season title that would be HUGE for the program even if they didn't win the tournament. Last year we were all hoping we would make the SL tournament, this year we are talking about contending for the regular season title. That is a lot of progress.

If, and it's a big if, the guys win the regular season this season will be a smashing success even if they didn't follow that up with a tournament title.

Comment

Regular Season conf. champs would be fine. As long as we finish in top 3 and have some hard fought games against Oakland, IUPUI, and ORU along the way.
                            We make the tournament with some confidence, and it is our home advantage...no one disputes that. Jacks will defend this HOUSE!
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

It is amazing how the conversation over this team has turned in a year.
                              When was the last call for Nagy's head, BTW?

Comment

Working...
                              X