Conference Road Game Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conference Road Game Strategy

I just watched the post game press conference from the Cal Poly game on GoJacks.com & their head coach offered some interesting perspective on what it takes to get road wins for a struggling road team. Remember that Cal Poly had also struggled to close out road wins for much of the season, but did manage to pull away late at Frost. I know most of our fans like to talk about how we gave that one away, but I hope our team can take their example.

A couple of things I would like to see on this road trip:

1.) Run some full-court man-to-man defense. Not necessarily to try to force tunovers so much as to get our kids thinking aggressively right out of the chutes. Mix it up between full-court press to deny the inbounds pass, trap plays, or just making them work a little harder to get into their offense. If we give up a few easy buckets we can back off, but I like the idea of being aggressive early. I also like it to close out a game when you have the lead.
    2.) Run some offensive set-plays right off the bat. Kind of like the scripted plays for a football team. If our scouting is good, we should be able to script 5 sets or so and get good looks on at least 3 of them. I'm not sure if basketball teams do this, but it seems like a good idea to me. Also helps keep the team focused, & confident. They know ahead of time what we are going to do, and can just relax & execute.
    3.) Play to win down the stretch, especially with the lead. Stay aggressive on both ends of the floor.
    4.) Get the most out of their fouls. This doesn't mean that we play dirty, but want to see fewer 'and-1's' against us. If your going to foul on a layup, make sure they don't make it. Make them earn it at the line. We have better depth this year, don't be afraid to use your fouls wisely. On the road, I'm OK with some offensive fouls, because it indicates we are being aggressive.
    5.) Be confident & find the line between loose, and under control. Have some fun out there, & enjoy what you do. The worst thing that could happen if you play your best is to lose a game. No regrets, there are worse things than losing despite what some fans might think. But the upside to playing your best & winning is that it adds more confidence to the next game.

Re: Conference Road Game Strategy

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
    I just watched the post game press conference from the Cal Poly game on GoJacks.com & their head coach offered some interesting perspective on what it takes to get road wins for a struggling road team. Remember that Cal Poly had also struggled to close out road wins for much of the season, but did manage to pull away late at Frost. I know most of our fans like to talk about how we gave that one away, but I hope our team can take their example.

1.) Run some full-court man-to-man defense. Not necessarily to try to force tunovers so much as to get our kids thinking aggressively right out of the chutes. Mix it up between full-court press to deny the inbounds pass, trap plays, or just making them work a little harder to get into their offense. If we give up a few easy buckets we can back off, but I like the idea of being aggressive early. I also like it to close out a game when you have the lead.
    2.) Run some offensive set-plays right off the bat. Kind of like the scripted plays for a football team. If our scouting is good, we should be able to script 5 sets or so and get good looks on at least 3 of them. I'm not sure if basketball teams do this, but it seems like a good idea to me. Also helps keep the team focused, & confident. They know ahead of time what we are going to do, and can just relax & execute.
    3.) Play to win down the stretch, especially with the lead. Stay aggressive on both ends of the floor.
    4.) Get the most out of their fouls. This doesn't mean that we play dirty, but want to see fewer 'and-1's' against us. If your going to foul on a layup, make sure they don't make it. Make them earn it at the line. We have better depth this year, don't be afraid to use your fouls wisely. On the road, I'm OK with some offensive fouls, because it indicates we are being aggressive.
    5.) Be confident & find the line between loose, and under control. Have some fun out there, & enjoy what you do. The worst thing that could happen if you play your best is to lose a game. No regrets, there are worse things than losing despite what some fans might think. But the upside to playing your best & winning is that it adds more confidence to the next game.

solid points.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post

You forgot #6:

Take a lead pipe to their best player's knees... and maybe take out a couple of their cheerleaders while we're at it, that way they have less team spirit!
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
        You forgot #6:

Take a lead pipe to their best player's knees... and maybe take out a couple of their cheerleaders while we're at it, that way they have less team spirit!
        The Smack detector just went off.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
          You forgot #6:

That's from the Tanya Harding book for skating. Doesn't apply to basketball.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

#0: a) Score more points than the other team; b) keep the other team from scoring more than you.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              #0: a) Score more points than the other team; b) keep the other team from scoring more than you.
              2 very important points.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Must give Madden credit when quoting.....

Comment

I don't remember the announcers, but for a college game this year the following exchange is pretty close to quotes:

Color Guy: As this looks to be a high scoring game, I think each team's offense will try to put up as many points as they can and each defensive unit's main goal is to try and stop the other team from scoring each time they have the ball.

Play-by-Play: Really. You better give a little better analysis than that or this is going to be a long game for me. (laughs as it was said in jest)

I laughed because I couldn't be the play-by-play guy slammed him like that.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                    It was really more of a paraphrase . . .
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                      I believe that Joe Morgan is the co-copyright owner of this breakdown.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                      X