How big was the ORU win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big was the ORU win?

If we lose we go to 6-8 and 1-3 and the negativity continues. It takes two wins just to get back to .500. Now, with Centenary coming in, it looks like all of the sudden we'll be 9-8 an 4-1. An overall record above .500 this late and three games over .500 in league...has that happened in the D1 era before? I just hope this win gives us some confidence and momentum for awhile, if not the rest of the year.

ORU's last win.....a 12-point win over #13 undefeated New Mexico...they also beat Missouri to give the Tiggers just their 3rd loss on the year and won at Stanford.

SDSU is on a 2-game win streak versus league power ORU, something that is driving their egotictical, "we're so above the Summitt League" fanbase friggin' nuts!

There are 15 games left and the good news is we have already played two road games and have already played 2 of the top 2-3 teams in the league in ORU and IUPUI. We have four real tough games left (@OU, @ORU, OU, IUPUI) and after that everything else is winnable. An 12-6 league record is not out of the question. That would put our overall at 17-14 heading into the Summit Tourney.

Re: How big was the ORU win?

Personally, I think the win itself is less important than the winning streak it could potentially spark. I know this team can play with anyone in the Summit League on any given night; but can they consistently play good basketball during the conference season? We haven't seen a 5 or 6 game winning streak in a long time and I think to turn the corner as a program, winning games we aren't expected to win is less important than winning the games we are suppose to win.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
      If we lose we go to 6-8 and 1-3 and the negativity continues. It takes two wins just to get back to .500.
      We are 6-8 now after the win. We are 2-1 in conference.

Comment

We need every win we can get so they are all big. The energy appeared to be very good again. I never expected us to outrebound ORU by as much as we did. Proved to be a major difference in the game.

Comment

The win is big if the Rabbits follow it up with a victory Saturday night. Fun game. It was a great way to end 2009. Go Rabbits!

Comment

Obviously ORU choked big time, and didnt have any effort whatsoever to rebound the basketball. I am ashamed of how they actually played, the summit league needs ORU to run the table in league and get into the ncaa tourney this year with their marquee wins so far this year. I cant imagine how disappointing this loss was to the summit league officials. Everyone knows this league is ORU, OAKLAND this year.

Comment

CCdeville = Scott Sutton?
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
                Obviously ORU choked big time, and didnt have any effort whatsoever to rebound the basketball. I am ashamed of how they actually played, the summit league needs ORU to run the table in league and get into the ncaa tourney this year with their marquee wins so far this year. I cant imagine how disappointing this loss was to the summit league officials. Everyone knows this league is ORU, OAKLAND this year.
                That was their attitude last year too.

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post

Why the smack?

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                    We are 6-8 now after the win. We are 2-1 in conference.
                    Since it's a double header on Saturday, both potential wins would count for the men. That's how you get the numbers he did. :-)

I don't know if it was so much the effort being put in by ORU or the hustle put in by the Jacks. I was at the game last night and the Jacks were really after the ball (esp. in the first half). They were able to build the huge lead in rebounds in the first half (up by 14 I believe). The rotation on defense looked so much better (first 2 minutes of the second half wasn't good but they picked it up after that).
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Here we go again jumping the gun again as fans. This was indeed a very good win. Probably the best of the year as it was against a conference team that had probably moved itself into the favorite position to be the best team in the Summit League after the non-conference season.

However, the roller coaster ride known as SDSU MBB has made this fanbase ill with its ups and downs and I am as guilty as the next guy.

Let's just sit back and watch because nothing, and I mean nothing, is predictable with this team. They could reel off 5, 7, 10 straight wins, who knows what could happen if the intensity could stay in these guys on a consistent basis. OR they could lose to Centenary tomorrow and bring us all back to the edge of the cliff that we move back and forth from enough that it has worn the soles of my shoes off. Then they could win the next three games on the road and here we are back in the same spot we're at right now.

I'm finally going to get to see this team in person tomorrow night. I am very interested in what they are going to bring to the table. Of course after last night, I'm expecting a solid home win.

Comment

I think the win was big in terms to what it does to individual players on the roster. It is going to build confidence and make them more motivated to hit the court on Saturday Night. NDSU is down to 9 or 10 players wth the off campus incident and injury to Mike Felt makes the Bison as a team a little short handed. Not to digress but NDSU has struggled with Dickenson State on their own home court and have only 4 wins before the Thursday game.

If NDSU was able to handle Centenary by 14, I would think SDSU will have to come out very flat in order to drop a game to Centunary which too me seems unlikely. Building confidence at this point in time is a crucial factor in the teams progress, so yes the ORU win was big for the improvement of team confidence if nothing else.

Comment

I think the law of averages is evening out this year...when ORU was ahead by 5 pts late in the game, instead of giving us the "coups de gras" so to speak, don't quote me but, first didn't make points on some pocessions and then turned the ball over on pocessions.Last year, these teams would have done exactly that, slammed the door shut on us.Hopefully , we get a winning streak going, & this is a completely different team, one that plays with confidence & with intensity.

Comment

TV asked Nagy this question, pretty much, and Nagy started laughing and said something like, "you keep looking for that symbolic win," then added later, "I don't think this has any symbolic meaning at all, other than that we beat a good basketball team."

And the more the team thinks that way, and the more that fans look at it that way, the better off we'll all be.

C'mon, people, this ain't a Disney movie!!

Comment

It was an important win -- of course, ANY win is an important win for the men's program right now.

One thing it did is that it demonstrated that the Summit League Tournament win wasn't a fluke--we've beaten ORU twice in a row, now.

A constant refrain during the dip in the men's program has been that the guys just didn't seem to play with confidence. A win like this, and the way they did it--basically grinding one out and winning by sheer toughness and superior "want-to"--should give them confidence. (If it doesn't, there truly is no hope!)

But on the other hand, in college basketball, you're supposed to win pretty much all of your home games. It's one of the most difficult sports around to win on the road.

So, it was a win. Any win is good.

It was a conference win. Conference wins are better than good.

It was a home conference win. Home conference wins should be expected.

It was a win vs. ORU. That may be especially important for seeding in the conference tournament.

It was a win that got the Jacks to 2-1 in the conference. So far, so good.

It was a win that's now in the past. It won't mean anything if the guys don't come out, defend the home court, and beat Centenary tonight. If they out-rebound the Gents by eighteen and out-hustle them like they did vs. ORU . . . "I think we'll be OK."
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X