Pomeroy, Sagarin, and other ratings 2009-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pomeroy, Sagarin, and other ratings 2009-10

A thread to keep track of the various ratings for the Jacks' men's basketball team.

As of today, Dec. 14, Pomeroy has the Jacks finishing at 15-14 and 10-7 in the conference. That sounds about right to me, given where the team is right now. If they can get their defensive act together better and get some consistent offensive leadership, they might be able to improve on that. Let's hope. Pomeroy rates the Jacks at #217 in D-I.

Sagarin's ratings are here. He has SDSU at #213.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Pomeroy, Sagarin, and other ratings 2009-10

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    A thread to keep track of the various ratings for the Jacks' men's basketball team.

As of today, Dec. 14, Pomeroy has the Jacks finishing at 15-14 and 10-7 in the conference. That sounds about right to me, given where the team is right now. If they can get their defensive act together better and get some consistent offensive leadership, they might be able to improve on that. Let's hope. Pomeroy rates the Jacks at #217 in D-I.

Sagarin's ratings are here. He has SDSU at #213.
    aren't there 18 conference games?

Comment

the best part is they have us marked to win both game against NDSU. I think its possible, but I am going to say this year we split at home. I am excited for confrence play to start so i can try to make a few games, but If we end the year around that mark I will be happy because it is showing improvement.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Yeah, but Pomeroy's formulas do a calculation of predicted success across the entire system, and sometimes the rounding causes a game to be dropped here and there--at least that's my understanding. It's all mathematical and stuff.

Plus, I can't type. He's got us at 11-7. Fer-duh.

The fun part of Pomeroy is all of his underlying stats--offensive/defensive efficiency, etc., etc. You can see at a glance that the Jacks are a slightly better than average offensive team (their offensive efficiency is in the green) but they're worse than average on defense (that has the red background). The greener, the better, the redder, the worse, at Pomeroy's site.
        Last edited by filbert; 12-14-2009, 04:18 PM. Reason: "bdo" is not a word, as far as I know.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Yeah, but Pomeroy's formulas bdo a calculation of predicted success across the entire system, and sometimes the rounding causes a game to be dropped here and there--at least that's my understanding. It's all mathematical and stuff.

Plus, I can't type. He's got us at 11-7. Fer-duh.

The fun part of Pomeroy is all of his underlying stats--offensive/defensive efficiency, etc., etc. You can see at a glance that the Jacks are a slightly better than average offensive team (their offensive efficiency is in the green) but they're worse than average on defense (that has the red background). The greener, the better, the redder, the worse, at Pomeroy's site.
          Also shows Cassady as a significant contributor. So not sure how they calculate everything but its hard to argue with those math guys. They can make it up but i still cant argue it cuz i am aweful at math.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

RealTimeRPI.com has us at 208 with a strength of schedule of 142.

It has us finishing at 9-18 (7-11) in conference play.

BBState.com has us with a ranking of 197 and an RPI of 170, with a strength of schedule at 97.

Comment

Thought I might as well get this out there. Have to admit I don't like it, and there are lots of reasons why it is the way it is, but it ain't good to finish 2 out of 2. TV's blog shows that in the final RPI, SDSU was 233 and USD was 215.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                Thought I might as well get this out there. Have to admit I don't like it, and there are lots of reasons why it is the way it is, but it ain't good to finish 2 out of 2. TV's blog shows that in the final RPI, SDSU was 233 and USD was 215.
                Can't argue with the RPI. USD is better than SDSU.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Pomeroy, SDSU 217 - USD 249

Sagarin, SDSU 226 - USD 230

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Can't argue with the RPI. USD is better than SDSU.
                    RPI has Kansas #1 and they didn't make it out of the first weekend

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/rpi/...ating&cat=team

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                      RPI has Kansas #1 and they didn't make it out of the first weekend

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/rpi/...ating&cat=team
                      NCAA tourney was wrong, RPI is right, Kansas is #1 not Duke.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Jeez people, I never said that it confirmed that USD was a better team than SDSU or that they would win a head to head game. I indicated that there are a number of reasons why they ended up higher than us and I posted it because of two reasons: 1) TV's blogs are usually referenced on the board, and 2) that someone was going to put it up so I wanted to get it up without the smackish crap that often accompanies info like this. My question to you is this, do you like finishing behind them in ANY rating system? I don't and that was my point.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Sagarin is better than RPI anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            My question to you is this, do you like finishing behind them in ANY rating system? I don't and that was my point.
                            How about a rating/ranking of the worst college towns in SD?

Alright, I'm out-of-line, to the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              NCAA tourney was wrong, RPI is right, Kansas is #1 not Duke.
                              This.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                              X