All-Time Tough Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-Time Tough Players

We've had a nice discussion on tough players on the Nevada game day thread and it brought back memories of other mentally tough (and sometimes physically tough) players.

During my collegiate days, you could not replace the toughness that Mark Tetzlaff and Mark Shultz brought. Their physical presence in the paint is a key reason why the Jacks were only a few possessions from winning a national championship in the 80's. Shultz was your classic, in your face tough guy that would have been an awesome defensive end. He was nonstop hustle, would bang inside with anyone, and could bring the house down with one of his jams.

Teztlaff was in a class by himself. He looked like the nice farm neighbor down the road, but he was relentless on the court. A look at the stat sheets would reveal that on a nightly basis, if there was a rebound up for grabs - it was his. He could score in so many ways once he got the ball in the paint. While he lacked the scowl that Shultz would share with the opponents who dared to cross him, Tetzlaff was the main thorn that all opponents tried to stop.

One player that was special to watch for his toughness this decade was Austin Hansen. I still remember his never quit attitude in the 2003 regionals. We live in Kearney, Nebraska and I still have friends that comment on Austin over five years since he played in that regional. That team was destined for a national championship run, but injuries and illness saddled Hansen with having to carry an extra load. In the overtime loss to the University of Nebraska - Kearney, he left everything on the court against a team that had two all-american players on their roster. He knew he could make a play everytime he touched the ball, more importantly - every opponent knew it too.

Re: All-Time Tough Players

Chris Stoebner was pretty tough, I think he did more with less than any Jackrabbit I remember. Not the biggest, fastest, or best leaper on the court at any time he was a Jack, but he chased down a lot of big rebounds and he spent a lot of court time guarding the other team's best player.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Casey Estling and Cody Vollmer

Comment

Calvin Melaney

That guy was one giant dude you didn't want to mess with
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Monte Mosiman. All conference tight end in football player who was seventh or eighth man in bb on Jack teams of the mid-70s. About 6-foot-4 of cowboy rawhide.
          Came into game specifically to make it more physical. Had five fouls to give and never got cheated. He averaged more fouls and rebounds, combined, than points.
          You could close your eyes and still know he was in the game by the sound of bodies crashing to the floor. Would put this nomination up against any.

Comment

Working...
          X