Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chad White Injury

From the Brooking Register Sports twitter feed

Chad White is out with a finger injury and needs surgery, could be out until Feb. redshirt to be decided later.

https://twitter.com/bkgsregsports

Also from Terry V's Live Blog:

freshman Chad White is going to have finger surgery and will miss 5 weeks and maybe more.
    Last edited by mitchell; 12-08-2009, 06:43 PM.

Re: Chad White Injury

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
    From the Brooking Register Sports twitter feed

Chad White is out with a finger injury and needs surgery, could be out until Feb. redshirt to be decided later.

https://twitter.com/bkgsregsports

Also from Terry V's Live Blog:

freshman Chad White is going to have finger surgery and will miss 5 weeks and maybe more.
    If thats the case, missing 5 weeks can really hurt but if he can be a contributor down the strech and the con tourny i hope he returns. If its going to be much more then that hope he gets a red shirt.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I wonder if this leaves any room for redshirting White and removing Carlson's redshirt to get more guard help. Probably would be a last resort. If anything this should give some more playing time for Dale and Griffan.

Comment

Wonder he played through the injury to help the two conference games and will try to take advantage of the break before the rest. I'm sure it's not that simple.

Comment

Honestly, I think we should put the redshirt on Chad and move on. I would tell guys like Dale and Griff and even maybe Rader that they have a few weeks to prove they can handle the extra minutes.

I think we have a pretty solid 9-10 man rotation without Chad. It's nothing against him. I'm real glad he's here and he has a bright future, it's just that he has a senior, three juniors and a soph ahead of him right now.

PG: Wolters/Palarca
          SG: Garrett/Moss
          SF: Sargent/Griff
          PF: Kai/Fiegen
          PF: Cordova/Fiegen/Rader

Comment

Unfortunate injury. Chad has a great future as a Jack. There's no sense rushing him back and wasting a year of his eligibility. This year's team is deep enough to absorb the loss.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Five weeks, you're looking at around 10 games of a 29 games season (and with 8 out of the way before tonight). Probably a good idea to redshirt if there are only 10 more games he could possibly play. I guess it all depends on how the team is playing.
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Maybe I missed this, but shooting hand or other hand?
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                  Five weeks, you're looking at around 10 games of a 29 games season (and with 8 out of the way before tonight). Probably a good idea to redshirt if there are only 10 more games he could possibly play. I guess it all depends on how the team is playing.

Actually, if it really is five weeks it's eight games, only three of them conference, with 12 conference and the Summit tournament l(and maybe something better) left after that... Would have to assume it would be a medical redshirt... is there a different application date for that?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                    Actually, if it really is five weeks it's eight games, only three of them conference, with 12 conference and the Summit tournament l(and maybe something better) left after that... Would have to assume it would be a medical redshirt... is there a different application date for that?
                    Medical redshirt is the only option for getting another year....you check into any game...counts as a year...and I believe the medicals have to be applied for to the NCAA...and are evaluated and approved on a case by case system....usually...not always it's a season ending injury that gets them.
                    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                      Medical redshirt is the only option for getting another year....you check into any game...counts as a year...and I believe the medicals have to be applied for to the NCAA...and are evaluated and approved on a case by case system....usually...not always it's a season ending injury that gets them.

Well, maybe this answers the question: if it's not a season-ending injury red-shirt talk is pretty moot....

Comment

I believe a medical red-shirt can be applied for if an athlete misses a certain percentage of games (not sure what % as I think it varies from sport to sport). While the injury does not have to be season ending in the aspect that it would prevent the athlete from participating in any more games, I don't think the athlete can participate in any more games that season to get the medical red-shirt.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Maybe I missed this, but shooting hand or other hand?
                          He had his right hand (shooting hand) taped up during the Denver game. I assume it is that hand.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            I believe a medical red-shirt can be applied for if an athlete misses a certain percentage of games (not sure what % as I think it varies from sport to sport). While the injury does not have to be season ending in the aspect that it would prevent the athlete from participating in any more games, I don't think the athlete can participate in any more games that season to get the medical red-shirt.

I believe the number is 20%. If Chad doesn't step foot on the court again he will be under that number and qualify.

Personally, I like the thought of red-shirting him and spread out the talent in this year's class. Plus he will have a full 4 years with the Iowa kids.

In past years it would have been a season killer for the team to lose him, how great is it that we can absorb it now?
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              I believe the number is 20%. If Chad doesn't step foot on the court again he will be under that number and qualify.

Personally, I like the thought of red-shirting him and spread out the talent in this year's class. Plus he will have a full 4 years with the Iowa kids.

In past years it would have been a season killer for the team to lose him, how great is it that we can absorb it now?
                              You can play in one-third of regular season games and still qualify for a medical redshirt. As already noted, it's not really a season ending injury so it might be a little iffy.

Comment

Working...
                              X