Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can we take from the Paradise weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can we take from the Paradise weekend?

Really, what can we take from the three weekend games?

I guess if I were Nagy, I would focus on the positives. The big negative is obviously that we gave away a big lead. But if you take that away and you have a team that played the #7 team in the country real close...a team that gave top-35 BC a good game....a team that had C-USA East Carolina by 20 points in the first half. Hopefully we take away the positives.

But what kind of measuring stick is a tourney where you play 3 games in 4 days...where you have little time to prepare for your opponent...where you have to worry about fatigue...where you're still trying to figure out your rotation?

Re: What can we take from the Paradise weekend?

Everything that really matters this season lies ahead. For this team its all about the conference season. Making strides against The Summit League is our real measuring stick.

Is there anything in the results of this tournament that leads you to believe that we can't have a successfull season in our league? For me, there is not.
    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

The only thing that would concern me is that we blew another big lead in the last game. That happened on more than one occasion last year and again no player stepped up and got the team refocused. Now it is too early in the year to say that is a problem for the team this year, but that can't happen in conference games.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
        Is there anything in the results of this tournament that leads you to believe that we can't have a successfull season in our league? For me, there is not.
        No....which is why I curiously asked the question....what can we take from last weekend?

Comment

Some people say, "Well, conference play is when we need to start to shine." Others will reply, "We need to play well enough to get into the league tournament. You never know what will happen after that."

Well, every game matters. Attendance, recruitment and excitement for the program rests on one thing ... winning. All in all, fans have been fairly patient. But it's time to start winning.

Comment

Seems like Wolters played pretty well. He seems to be learning quickly.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
              Some people say, "Well, conference play is when we need to start to shine." Others will reply, "We need to play well enough to get into the league tournament. You never know what will happen after that."

Well, every game matters. Attendance, recruitment and excitement for the program rests on one thing ... winning. All in all, fans have been fairly patient. But it's time to start winning.
              I agree. Start winning or start deciding what changes need to be made.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post

This one, right here.

What I take out of this tournament is that this is the same frickin' team of last year. Go get a big win and get all our hopes up (last year Iowa St, this year Wyoming) only to proceed to underachieve (conference road games last year, this tournament this year).

It's early yet, but they better get their stuff together. This was supposed to be the year Jackrabbit men's basketball gets back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                  No....which is why I curiously asked the question....what can we take from last weekend?
                  True. No angst pointed at you Tea. I think I was just anticipating some responses from people who are up in arms thinking that the season is over after an uneven performance in a tough early season tournament.

I am excited about this season but even in my optimistic state of mind I think that something like 17 wins going into the Summit League Tournament would be a success. I believe we had 12 at that point last year. I think that is still attainable.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

What did Coach Nagy say? We are still soft. Talent is improved, the guys are more familiar with each other and at times we play like we might be a top team in our league. The lack of depth in the front court is going to hurt us late in games when teams go on runs (which will happen) and we can't make outside shots or penetrate and score. Sure, the conference schedule will consist of teams not as good as B.C. or Purdue but we'll be playing those teams on their HOME court and we all know how well that has gone since joining the Summit league.

So, we aren't where we need to be which isn't necessarily unexpected this early in the season.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                      This one, right here.

What I take out of this tournament is that this is the same frickin' team of last year. Go get a big win and get all our hopes up (last year Iowa St, this year Wyoming) only to proceed to underachieve (conference road games last year, this tournament this year).

It's early yet, but they better get their stuff together. This was supposed to be the year Jackrabbit men's basketball gets back on track.
                      Huh? We played Big Ten an ACC and a C-USA teams. One was #7 in the nation, another is no sranger to the top 20 and is currently recieving votes. To expect or think or really even HOPE for a win over those two is, well, silly to put it nicely.

Get upset over the ECU loss. I would still dare to say, especially at this time of this year, that ECU was a favorite going into that game. The good news would be that we had a 20-point lead....the bad news is we blew that lead. I think, many more times than not, if and when we build a 20-point lead, we'll win. Hopefully we learned alot from the ECU game.

We have 5 more games (@Nevada, @Minnesota, @ORU, @Oakland, vs. Oakland) where I think we're pretty heavy underdogs, but outside of that we should be pretty even the rest of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        What did Coach Nagy say? We are still soft. Talent is improved, the guys are more familiar with each other and at times we play like we might be a top team in our league. The lack of depth in the front court is going to hurt us late in games when teams go on runs (which will happen) and we can't make outside shots or penetrate and score. Sure, the conference schedule will consist of teams not as good as B.C. or Purdue but we'll be playing those teams on their HOME court and we all know how well that has gone since joining the Summit league.

So, we aren't where we need to be which isn't necessarily unexpected this early in the season.
                        Lack of front court depth is really bothering me right now. I think Palarca is solid coming off the bench playing the point....I think Moss is capable coming in and playing the 2 or 3 and that Grif is even a fairly dependable 2/3 guy....it's the depth in the front court that worries me. I guess I was just assuming that any one or even two of Fiegen, Rader, Cassaday, Engen or Pederson would be able to give us some decent minutes inside. I know we've been outsized in 3 of the 5 games but it appears we're still searching for depth inside. Hopefully by the time conference play rolls around someone like Fiegen will be ready to contribute 10-15 minutes a night.

Comment

Working...
                        X