X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Guard Play

Nate Wolters: 17.5 mpg, 1.5 rpg, 2.5 apg, 5 ppg

Michael Palarca: 20.5 mpg, 4.5 rpg, 6 apg, 4.0 ppg

Chad White: 9.5 mpg, .5 rpg, 1 apg, 7 ppg (in fairness, not a lot of his minutes have been at PG)

I have been particularly impressed with the play of Palarca so far this (early) season. If he keeps playing like he has been, I look for him to challenge for a starting spot soon.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: Point Guard Play

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Nate Wolters: 17.5 mpg, 1.5 rpg, 2.5 apg, 5 ppg

Michael Palarca: 20.5 mpg, 4.5 rpg, 6 apg, 4.0 ppg

Chad White: 9.5 mpg, .5 rpg, 1 apg, 7 ppg (in fairness, not a lot of his minutes have been at PG)

I have been particularly impressed with the play of Palarca so far this (early) season. If he keeps playing like he has been, I look for him to challenge for a starting spot soon.
    Having Palarca and Wolters play point allows Garret and Clint to focus on getting open for 3's which seems to be the strength of this team - outside shooting. They are good compliments to one another too - Parlaca is very quick and a good passer also plays good defense. Walters has the size but still the ability to beat his man off the dribble. I have high hopes for this season!

Comment

I like Palarca coming off the bench actually. Its nice to have a steady hand coming in with the second group or if Nate struggles he can come in right away and run the pt with the first group without missing a beat.
      It really is awesome to have depth this year!
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        I like Palarca coming off the bench actually. Its nice to have a steady hand coming in with the second group or if Nate struggles he can come in right away and run the pt with the first group without missing a beat.
        It really is awesome to have depth this year!
        I like the fact that the Jacks actually have 2 true point guards. Period.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Both points guards allow Nagy and the Jacks to be able to push the ball up the court. Both seem to have good vision on the break. Wolters last night showed the ability to be able to get in the lane, but couldn't finish. But he created opportunities for his teammates with four assists. He also showed his skills of being a defender on the ball. I'm looking forward to the up-tempo play of the Jacks this season.

Comment

Some good posts here.

I also like the steady Palarca on the bench for when and if Nate gets a little out of hand. That's not a knock on him, he's a true frosh after all.

I love our outside shooting. I have watched about half of last nights ORU vs. Northwestern Ok (NAIA) and ORU's outside shooting is not good. Thier inside game looks strong though....can you say zone defense?!?!?!

Speaking of ORU...once again I watch a game at the Mabee where it looks like they have about 400 people in there. But their attendance numbers are always so high. What gives? I hear they don't count heads but ticket sales or something kind of shady. Not accusing them, just saying what I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
              Some good posts here.

I also like the steady Palarca on the bench for when and if Nate gets a little out of hand. That's not a knock on him, he's a true frosh after all.

I love our outside shooting. I have watched about half of last nights ORU vs. Northwestern Ok (NAIA) and ORU's outside shooting is not good. Thier inside game looks strong though....can you say zone defense?!?!?!

Speaking of ORU...once again I watch a game at the Mabee where it looks like they have about 400 people in there. But their attendance numbers are always so high. What gives? I hear they don't count heads but ticket sales or something kind of shady. Not accusing them, just saying what I heard.
              I think when it comes to ORU's attendance its a number of factors... one is there arena configuration makes it look less then it really is, second I'm sure they are counting paid attendance and not actual, which includes promotional give aways and season tickets...

Comment

As long as the Point Guards guard the point, that's all that matters.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

ORU counts the faithfully departed fans because God and Oral Roberts still have season tickets and bring them all to fill the what appears to be empty seats.

Comment

Very few programs count actual attendance. It's not like it's something a program can brag about in its media guide, or elsewhere, and it's always smaller than the number of tickets distribtued.

Comment

If the point guards have similiar skills,6'3" will trump 5'10" every time. A 6'3" point guard will create matchup problems for a high % of the teams the Jacks play.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        If the point guards have similiar skills,6'3" will trump 5'10" every time. A 6'3" point guard will create matchup problems for a high % of the teams the Jacks play.
                        I agree 100%, especially if NW is going to post up in some sets the way Clint has the last few years. If he is going to play primarily on the perimeter, I'm not sure what 5'10" PG in the league couldn't keep up with him.

So far (a very young season to be sure), Palarca has pretty solid stats comparatively, especially for someone who a lot of posters wrote off as a 15 minute or less guy. And he plays with the "second team" a lot of the time he is out there, which should make it more difficult to get decent assist numbers.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Palarca brought a nice energy to the game vs. Mayville. Of course that was Mayville. So it's hard to draw any conclusions from that.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Palarca has really started taking some big steps at the end of last year after Sargent went down with the ankle injury and continued to improve his game over the offseason. His aggressive play has really sparked the Jacks in first two games of the season, and he really has made himself a valuable asset to the team.

I do, however, think he'll be relegated to a backup role throughout his career due to a couple of disadvantages.

First is that of his height, which really isn't that big of deal on the offensive end due to his play style, but it can pose difficulties for the Jacks on defense, especially against teams with taller guards who can consistently knock down 3's. Don't be surprised to see him play a lot in one game and not so much in the next due to favorable and unfavorable match ups on the defensive end.

Second, he doesn't shoot particularly well from behind the arch, which can make him a liability on the offensive end as well if he doesn't get his shot going early.

I think he'll continue to be a good role player though, and will find a way to contribute to the team in some way, shape, or form throughout his career at SDSU.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                              Palarca has really started taking some big steps at the end of last year after Sargent went down with the ankle injury and continued to improve his game over the offseason. His aggressive play has really sparked the Jacks in first two games of the season, and he really has made himself a valuable asset to the team.

I do, however, think he'll be relegated to a backup role throughout his career due to a couple of disadvantages.

First is that of his height, which really isn't that big of deal on the offensive end due to his play style, but it can pose difficulties for the Jacks on defense, especially against teams with taller guards who can consistently knock down 3's. Don't be surprised to see him play a lot in one game and not so much in the next due to favorable and unfavorable match ups on the defensive end.

Second, he doesn't shoot particularly well from behind the arch, which can make him a liability on the offensive end as well if he doesn't get his shot going early.

I think he'll continue to be a good role player though, and will find a way to contribute to the team in some way, shape, or form throughout his career at SDSU.
                              I think Palarca and Moss are better off the bench not because they are any worse or better then the starter but because they bring that spark off the bench that has been missed in the past.... It use to be when we went to the bench it was hold your breath now its lets see if they can give the team a spark....

Comment

Working...
                              X