Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Montana State

Nagy post-game:

Gotta give some credit to their kids, they were seniors. I told the players we made a lot of mistakes, but as I watched out on the floor, I made some bad decisions during the game, didn't call a time-out when we needed it. Haven't had enough time to practice end-of-game situations, our kids aren't as prepared as they ought to be.

First half, with the foul trouble we were in, we were pretty pleased. Fifteen turnovers at the half, if we just take care of the basketball . . . we're going to continue to feel like this until we learn how to handle the ball. Everybody has to touch the ball on offense though.

Ben played really well, looked like how he played last year, getting his shooting touch back. Need to get Ben & Cadwell to take shots when he's open. Matt has the freedom to do what he wants because generally good things happen. He needs to shoot more when he's open.

Put Matt back in, might as well play the minutes, the game was slipping away from us.

We ran some plays at the end but our kids didn't make the right decisions, that's my fault, it goes back to practice, I'm not getting the job done in practice, that's clear to me.

We just don't have the guard experience yet, but players can only use that excuse for so long before they step up. I'm proud of how players have come back, especially after the Minnesota and Butler losses. Other than the turnovers, we played good tonight. Defense gave up 52%, needs to get better.

Very few times I feel we got the screws put to us by officials, but this was one of those times. Our kids did a good job of fighting through that. Our kids competed, I'm proud of them.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Ben scored 20 of his 24 points in the second half.

.....last lead of the game was 71-70

SDSU 27/55 (from field)
      5/13 (3's)
      14/17 (free throws) Ben 9-9

Comment

Great effort by our guys and cant ask for more except maybe less turnovers and coach kind of thumped on that one a great deal during the post game interview.
        Its amazing Montana State has two guys 6-10 and 6-11 and we still outrebound them 36 to 25. We must have been boxing out much better tonight than say the Butler game.

I did not enjoy sitting through Butler either, but I saw what our team could be in maybe two years. Fundamentally strong, a hellva passing game, good defense and good shooting. Anyone who came to the Butler game expecting to win had unrealistic expectations. That was a game that matched senior vs freshman experience. The fairweather fans will never know this because they went somewhere else other than to Frost Arena that evening.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...601030323/1002

Montana St. stops Jacks

Staff and wire reports

Article Published: 01/3/06, 2:55 am

BOZEMAN, Mont. - Derek Edmonds scored six points in the final minute and 19 in the game to lead Montana State to a 78-73 come-from-behind win Monday night over South Dakota State.

Montana State (7-7) trailed SDSU (3-11) 62-53 following a pair of free throws by Ben Beran with 9:56 left.

The Bobcats outscored the Jackrabbits 13-1 over the next 4:20 and took a 66-65 lead on a free throw by Ted Morris with 5:36 remaining.

South Dakota State went up 71-68 on Beran's steal and layup with 3:10 left, but a dunk by Al Beye at the 1:56 mark cut the lead to 71-70. A layup by Edmonds with 52.4 seconds left gave MSU a 72-71 lead.

A turnover on the ensuing inbound pass led to a 15-foot baseline jumper by Beye with 18.3 seconds remaining and gave MSU a 74-71 lead.

Mohammed Berte tipped in a SDSU miss to pull the Jackrabbits to 74-73 with 5.7 seconds remaining, but Edmonds hit four free throws in the final seconds to ice the win.

Beran led SDSU with 24 points. Matt Cadwell scored 16, and Andre Gilbert had 11 for SDSU.

Ja'Ron Jefferson led the Bobcats with 21 points. Edmonds finished with 19, and Beye had 13 for MSU.

S. DAKOTA ST. (3-11)

Cadwell 6-15 3-4 16, Berte 2-3 1-3 5, Beran 7-14 9-9 24, Heien 1-3 0-0 2, Kleinjan 1-1 0-0 3, Casey 1-2 0-0 3, Frias 0-1 0-0 0, Gilbert 5-12 0-0 11, Loney 4-4 1-1 9. Totals 27-55 14-17 73.

MONTANA ST. (7-7)

Dissly 0-1 0-2 0, Moss 2-5 1-2 5, Beye 6-8 1-2 13, Durham 1-6 1-2 4, Jefferson 8-10 2-3 21, Wilson 3-3 0-0 9, Edmonds 5-8 6-6 19, Durr 0-7 0-0 0, Pratt 0-1 0-0 0, Morris 3-4 1-3 7. Totals 28-53 12-20 78.

Halftime-South Dakota State 32-29. 3-Point Goals-S. Dakota St. 5-13 (Kleinjan 1-1, Casey 1-2, Cadwell 1-3, Gilbert 1-3, Beran 1-3, Heien 0-1), Montana St. 10-27 (Wilson 3-3, Jefferson 3-5, Edmonds 3-6, Durham 1-6, Dissly 0-1, Durr 0-6). Fouled Out-Cadwell. Rebounds-S. Dakota St. 36 (Beran 7), Montana St. 23 (Moss 6). Assists-S. Dakota St. 9 (Beran, Cadwell, Casey, Heien 2), Montana St. 21 (Jefferson 7). Total Fouls-S. Dakota St. 24, Montana St. 20. A-3,072.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

The real SDSU fans have never left.  THose that did were probably very fairweather fans, who understand winning and nothing else.
            I think we all might be confusing fair weather fans with casual fans. Fair weather fans show support only when a team is winning. Casual fans show support more when a team is winning.

The success of NASCAR and NFL the last few years is because of their ability to draw in casual fans. The NHL, on the other hand, has pretty much said, “Loyalists, you are welcome to watch. Casual fan, become a loyalist, and you will understand the great sport of hockey.” The NHL has struggled because of their inability to draw casual fans. Here’s a definition:

Casual (noun): One that serves or appears at irregular intervals.
            Fan (noun): An ardent devotee; an enthusiast.

So the casual fan is devoted, but they are unwilling or unable to alter their lives to show support, and appear at games at irregular intervals. They may not be able to afford to go to a lot of games (a concept hard to comprehend for some on this board, I’m sure ;D). They may have families, jobs, etc which prevents them from attending on a regular basis. The casual fan attends 1-5 games/events per calendar year, donates little or no money to the university, and has little clothing or merchandise displaying their support. They typically do not wear face paint or bring a cowbell to the games they attend. Casual fans drive attendance.

Of course the casual fan will attend more games when a team is winning as it is more entertaining. They are still loyal to one team, but they enjoy watching, listening to, and talking about several teams. I think this is probably why State has been on WNAX for so long. It has a large listening area with a large number of casual fans, not hard core supporters.

State’s casual fans may not be able to afford to go to games (a concept hard to comprehend for some on this board). They may have families or jobs which prevent them from driving to games. Remember, in a state like SD, many of our fans are farmers and rural folk (ever wonder why games are on WNAX, a station geared toward farmers?) who feel like they have better things to do than watch a bunch of city boys play bad fundamental basketball (over 20 turnovers per game?). Disagree if you want to, but I have heard these sentiments expressed throughout the state.

Close games like Manhattan and Montana help, but unfortunately, progress has been slow. The casual fan will return, it takes some time. We did lose the attention of a lot of casual fans with the loss of the USD, Augustana games. Unfortunate, but true.

I would say I am a hardcore fan, and I will continue to attend as many games as possible (5 football, 11 MBB, 3WBB, so far). But don’t knock people who can’t attend a lot of games to watch a losing team. In my experience, casual fans have a much better feel for the direction the program is going. They aren't as patient, but they don't drink the Kool-Aid, so their perspective isn't as skewed.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan

I think we all might be confusing fair weather fans with casual fans.  Fair weather fans show support only when a team is winning.  Casual fans show support more when a team is winning.

The success of NASCAR and NFL the last few years is because of their ability to draw in casual fans.  The NHL, on the other hand, has pretty much said, “Loyalists, you are welcome to watch.  Casual fan, become a loyalist, and you will understand the great sport of hockey.”  The NHL has struggled because of their inability to draw casual fans.  Here’s a definition:

Casual (noun):  One that serves or appears at irregular intervals.
              Fan (noun):  An ardent devotee; an enthusiast.

So the casual fan is devoted, but they are unwilling or unable to alter their lives to show support, and appear at games at irregular intervals.  They may not be able to afford to go to a lot of games (a concept hard to comprehend for some on this board, I’m sure ;D).  They may have families, jobs, etc which prevents them from attending on a regular basis.   The casual fan attends 1-5 games/events per calendar year, donates little or no money to the university, and has little clothing or merchandise displaying their support.  They typically do not wear face paint or bring a cowbell to the games they attend.  Casual fans drive attendance.

Of course the casual fan will attend more games when a team is winning as it is more entertaining.  They are still loyal to one team, but they enjoy watching, listening to, and talking about several teams.  I think this is probably why State has been on WNAX for so long.  It has a large listening area with a large number of casual fans, not hard core supporters.

State’s casual fans may not be able to afford to go to games (a concept hard to comprehend for some on this board).  They may have families or jobs which prevent them from driving to games.  Remember, in a state like SD, many of our fans are farmers and rural folk (ever wonder why games are on WNAX, a station geared toward farmers?) who feel like they have better things to do than watch a bunch of city boys play bad fundamental basketball (over 20 turnovers per game?).  Disagree if you want to, but I have heard these sentiments expressed throughout the state.

Close games like Manhattan and Montana help, but unfortunately, progress has been slow.  The casual fan will return, it takes some time.  We did lose the attention of a lot of casual fans with the loss of the USD, Augustana games.  Unfortunate, but true.

I would say I am a hardcore fan, and I will continue to attend as many games as possible (5 football, 11 MBB, 3WBB, so far).  But don’t knock people who can’t attend a lot of games to watch a losing team.  In my experience, casual fans have a much better feel for the direction the program is going.  They aren't as patient, but they don't drink the Kool-Aid, so their perspective isn't as skewed.
              I am sorry I brought this topic up as it shows how little I know. : Farmers in SD? I did not know that.

Comment

It is my opinion that you don't have to attend a game live to factor into how big a fan you are. Listening on the radio, watching scores on the web, or checking espn.com at the first opportunity rank right up there.

As far as sports go my #1 team is the Jacks. However everyone has priorities in life, and my top 3 or so do not involve sports. If that makes me a fairweather, casual or lame fan that I'm proud to wear that tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                  It is my opinion that you don't have to attend a game live to factor into how big a fan you are.   Listening on the radio, watching scores on the web, or checking espn.com at the first opportunity rank right up there.  

As far as sports go my #1 team is the Jacks.  However everyone has priorities in life, and my top 3 or so do not involve sports.    If that makes me a fairweather, casual or lame fan that I'm proud to wear that tag.
                  Why is everyone so parinoid about my comment about being fairweathered? geez I am sorry I brought it up. Now can we move on.

Comment

And talking about fairweather fans----

LOL Just kidding. No one knows more about fairweather fans than the Vikings. I have some friends that are soooooo bad. I love watching the swings they go through with the Vikings winning and losing.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I'm not paranoid, just wanted to clarify things. I know the comments were likely sarcastic or only meant generally.

I feel sometimes we all (myself included) put too much emphasis on attending games. They still "games".

Comment

Highlights from Bozeman newspaper. On the Jackrabbit report today, Nagy commented that his experienced teams of the past would have handled MSU fairly easily - this team is just young and inexperienced.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com...orts/02men.txt

It was supposed to be a confidence-builder entering Big Sky Conference play.

All it really did for the Montana State men's basketball team was raise more questions.

In the first game of the new year, the Bobcats played as if hung over for the first 30 minutes, then regrouped in time for a 78-73 victory over feisty South Dakota State in front of an equally hung-over crowd of 3,072 at Brick Breeden Fieldhouse.

For the fifth straight game, the 'Cats (7-7) went to the wire, their faithful unable to breathe easily until junior guard Derrick Edmonds hit two free throws with 1.1 seconds to play.

Until then, a South Dakota State (3-11) team in the second year of a transition from NCAA Division II to Division I hounded the 'Cats defensively, outscrapped them on the boards and led by as many as 10 points in the second half despite constant foul trouble.

"I'm really shocked with the way we played," MSU coach Mick Durham said, conceding that SDSU probably deserved to win.

After all, Durham had given the team a dressing down after its lackluster 75-71 win over San Jose State on Friday. He was certain the 'Cats would return with a renewed sense of purpose.

Instead, senior forward Marvin Moss and junior wing Nick Dissly continued to struggle mightily, with Moss registering as many turnovers as points (five) in 22 minutes and Dissly drawing a blank and committing three turnovers in 14.

Neither played much in the second half as Durham for the first time this season started junior Carson Durr for Moss and Edmonds for Dissly.

"I'm very surprised with how Marvin and Nick played," Durham said. "I don't understand that. Obviously, we're not going very far with those two guys playing like that."

Filling the void were senior guard Ja'Ron Jefferson, who had a team-high 21 points, Edmonds (19), senior center Al Beye (13) and freshman guard Jacques Wilson, whose career-high nine points all came in the first half on 3-point shots.

Jefferson had a hand in every basket of a 10-point, 85-second spurt that turned a nine-point deficit into a 63-62 lead with 8:08 to play.

He had a fast-break layup after a steal by sophomore guard Casey Durham, a steal and assist on an Edmonds 3-pointer, a 3-pointer off a pass from Durham and a slick pass to junior center Ted Morris for a layup to finish the binge.

"I think we're just struggling a little with chemistry again," said Jefferson, who also had seven assists and three steals. "We had it going a little, and now it's gone away. I think it'll come back when conference starts."

So much to do, so little time.

The glass-half-full outlook has MSU has winning five of six at home, finding ways to win at the wire except for Thursday's one-point loss to North Dakota State, and in far better shape now than a year ago entering league play.

The glass-half-empty outlook has the 'Cats still trying to find their way offensively at times, defensively at other times and yet to shoot the ball well from the perimeter.

"Yeah, offensively it's been tough," said Edmonds, whose two free throws at :4.8 gave MSU a 76-73 lead. "We've been trying to concentrate on getting everybody involved and not let it be an individual thing.

"It's not pretty, but it's coming."

Somehow, though, they make good things happen when it's absolutely necessary.

Case in point: Beye's 15-foot baseline jumper with the shot clock winding down, giving MSU a 74-71 lead with 18.3 seconds to go.

Still, South Dakota State led 71-68 at 3:13 and had the ball. The Jackrabbits also had a chance to tie with 4.8 seconds to go and the score 76-73, but forward Michael Loney's pass from halfcourt was behind Andre Gilbert on the wing and went out of bounds.

Center Ben Beran led SDSU with 24 points, 20 in the second half as the Jackrabbits attacked the offensive glass, finishing with 14 offensive rebounds. Guard Matt Cadwell added 16 for the Jackrabbits, who paid dearly for their 24 turnovers.

The 'Cats, meanwhile, had 21 assists but also had 18 turnovers and were outrebounded 36-23. Their solution for being unable to stop SDSU until the final 10 minutes: Score 49 second-half points, a season high.

"Basically, we couldn't stop them so we outscored them," Durham said, adding that the 'Cats will review their non-conference performance today before preparing for Weber State at home Thursday.

"We need to regroup," he said. "It's a new season."

Comment

Originally posted by jack100
                          Highlights from Bozeman newspaper.  On the Jackrabbit report today, Nagy commented that his experienced teams of the past would have handled MSU fairly easily - this team is just young and inexperienced.

Not ready to win, inexperienced, etc.. If we can keep this team together through the growing pains, add the redshirts and a couple of more recruits, they will start winning and the people will come.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                          X