• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Blue Ribbon Preview

ESPN previewing all DI teams.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insid...3fid%3d4536718

See if you can guess who this paragraph is about:

"He's a very good athlete, but he needs to improve because the guys behind him are coming," Nagy said. "He understands he needs to be more of a leader. He's very efficient. He doesn't take a lot of shots, but he needs to take more of an aggressive role for us."

COACH AND PROGRAM

From the moment South Dakota State announced its five-year plan to move to Division I, Scott Nagy did his best to have the Jackrabbits ready to run for the program's first year of full D-I privileges.

Based on South Dakota State's history of success in Division II, there was every reason to expect a smooth transition.

But while everything worked out last season for neighboring North Dakota State -- which qualified for the NCAA Tournament in its first opportunity to do so -- everything went south for South Dakota State.

South Dakota State Jackrabbits
    Last Season 13-20 (.394)
    Conference Record 7-11 (7th)
    Starters Lost/Returning 0/5
    Coach Scott Nagy (Delta State '88)
    Record At School 256-162 (14 years)
    Career Record 256-162 (14 years)
    RPI Last 5 years N/A-276-329-328-284

Among the issues strewn along the Jackrabbits' road from Division II to Division I were two players put on trial for rape and, though found not guilty, the players never suited up for SDSU. During that same time frame, a standout freshman decided to punt his scholarship and transfer home to play as a walk-on for the University of Illinois. Last year, SDSU lost a potential all-conference center when 6-10 Anthony Davis was diagnosed with transverse myelitis -- a neurological disorder of the spinal cord that affects his legs.

"It's been a mess," Nagy said. "We've lost at least 11 players over four years to the process. Anything that could go wrong has gone wrong."

But now it appears time for everything to go right. With so few seniors on the roster over the last few years, Nagy and SDSU finally get to reap the benefit of playing so many youngsters: The Jackrabbits welcome back everyone who made an impact in 2008-09 -- and there are at least two freshmen who'll contribute immediately.

"It's been awhile since we had a team that had some depth," Nagy said. "Now we have it. We've had to play a little slower than I like to play, but this year we can push it."
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: ESPN Blue Ribbon Preview

Kai?

Comment

Weird.

Who told ESPN what Anthony Davis had?

Comment

Wow, that's probably the most accurate write-up for an SDSU team from a national media source.

Comment

I thought it was really interesting to see what Nagy had to say about the players. It seems inevitable that Wolters is going to be the starter (at least by mid season). I thought Fiegen would be more of a player this year, but maybe White will be. Although this information may have been received before he started having problems with his knee again.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Terry made it sound like White's knee is fine..... I think Feigen would utilize a redshirt more then White... however I think with White is if he is going to have knee problems have them taken care of... With Nagy I don't read to much into starters and bench players.... he starts the guys who are hot but plays the hot guys in the game, utilizes match ups a lot also.... will be interesting to see how he does with a deep bench this year, last year we saw some of it...

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              Terry made it sound like White's knee is fine..... I think Feigen would utilize a redshirt more then White... however I think with White is if he is going to have knee problems have them taken care of... With Nagy I don't read to much into starters and bench players.... he starts the guys who are hot but plays the hot guys in the game, utilizes match ups a lot also.... will be interesting to see how he does with a deep bench this year, last year we saw some of it...
              White's knee problem is with the "other" knee, not the one he had operated on after his water-skiing accident. And it doesn't sound like it was much of a problem, just tweaked it, and he seemed to run just fine in the DSC game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                in the DSC game.
                At least you didn't call it General Beadle----that'd really show your age

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  At least you didn't call it General Beadle----that'd really show your age
                  Hey DSU is still General Beadle to me. I believe the General still has a statue on campus, plus the General helped a great deal in getting public education started in South Dakota during the early days of this wonderful state. Also DSU was also called Eastern State Techers College. I noticed that reference in obituaries recently. They trained a ton of one room school teachers including one of my sisters, but since their focus and mission has changed and now is big in computer science. none of the old names apply. So yes, its now the one and only Dakota State University.

Comment

Working...
                  X