Injuries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injuries...

Here we go again. According to TV's blog, White and Cordova have knee issues. Cordova's doesn't sound serious, White's doesn't sound good.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Re: Injuries...

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    Here we go again. According to TV's blog, White and Cordova have knee issues. Cordova's doesn't sound serious, White's doesn't sound good.
    The difference is that it sounds like we've got some legitimate depth this year. Sounds like Nagy's thinking about *not* red-shirting any of the freshmen because they're looking good enough to play right now.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I take it Fiegen is progressing well and will play this year?

Moss also had a slight ankle issue a couple weeks ago (had to wear a boot).

AC is hopefully nothing too serious. He's the hardest guy to replace on this team.

Is the White injury career threatening? Is it just threatening him playing this year? I can handle him redshirting this year as I think we're fairly loaded at the 2 and 3 spots, but career threatening/altering would be a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        The difference is that it sounds like we've got some legitimate depth this year. Sounds like Nagy's thinking about *not* red-shirting any of the freshmen because they're looking good enough to play right now.
        This is a bit surprising. Carlson probably plays the point. This means that he and Wolters split time there and Palarca takes a reduced role? i just can't see a 3 man rotation at the point and I can't see not redshirting an incoming guy so he can play 3 minutes a game. I like Palarca, but I think his lack of scoring might just keep him on the bench.

White plays the 2 or 3 and possibly even the 1. With Garret, Sarg, Moss and Griff all four playing the 2-3 and all four pretty solid and establiched players, White (and even Carlson who can and probably will see time at the 2) must be pretty impressive so far.

Fiegen is a no-brainer. He and Wolters are the 2 most likely to be starting this year out of the freshman. Fiegen starting moves Kai to the 3, where he sees way more 3-point opportunities. It also means last two years top rebounder is at the 3 position. If Fiegen/Rader/Pederson/Cassaday can rebound well we'll be a real good rebounding team....and White and Moss and Griff and Sarg can get in there and grab some balls as well.

Comment

Couple of things from above:

Kai Williams shooting more 3's is not a good idea 34-127 last year for 27%!

Nagy not redshirting anyone is not a good idea! Do you guys really think Carlson/Pederson/White/Fiegen/Wolters are all going to get 15 minutes a game when we lost nobody from last year?

If you do not get 15 minutes you need to and should request to redshirt!

Do we think we can make the big dance this year or win the conference?
          Nagy is saving his job with the way we recruited this year and if and when we land Dykstra is just awesome! Why not give our freshman the year off maybe except for one and look at the big picture in 5 years!

We should be better than last year even without the freshman, b/c of another year of growth and players that other teams lost.

And if 4 freshman get 15 minutes each: G. Callahan, Palerca will get no minutes and Williams and Moss will get 12 minutes a game!
          Any comments would be appreciated!

Comment

One thought is that playing more guys for fewer minutes--if the quality of the on-court play stays up--means less chance of injury for each individual player, and means that everybody has fresher legs towards the end of the season. It also means if we do have a guy nicked up during the season, it's not quite as big a deal as it has been in previous years as his replacement(s) would be that much more game-ready.

Of course, you can over-do this like you can anything.

But more depth is better.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think we owe those seniors who have stayed with the program through some very tough times the depth that we have so dearly lacked through the entire transition. I would imagine the upperclassman would trade minutes for wins.

Comment

Look at the minutes the guys played last year. You give these guys a little more rest time, and their production is going to go up. I really don't think any of them need to be red-shirted, unless they start the season with an injury.
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post

Nagy not redshirting anyone is not a good idea! Do you guys really think Carlson/Pederson/White/Fiegen/Wolters are all going to get 15 minutes a game when we lost nobody from last year?

Nagy is saving his job with the way we recruited this year and if and when we land Dykstra is just awesome! Why not give our freshman the year off maybe except for one and look at the big picture in 5 years!

We should be better than last year even without the freshman, b/c of another year of growth and players that other teams lost.

And if 4 freshman get 15 minutes each: G. Callahan, Palerca will get no minutes and Williams and Moss will get 12 minutes a game!
                  ON KAI:
                  The year before last Kai was our best 3 point shooter. He was 41-111 (37%). Callahan was 44-135 (33%) and Sarg was 33-103 (32%).

The year before that Kai (33%) was right there w/ Kleinjan (36%) and Yackely (33.3%).

He can hit the three and should have more opportunities this year.

ON THE REDSHIRTING:
                  Carlson and White are probably the only two guys we have the luxury of redshirting. (Pederson is not eligible to redshirt). Wolters could and should be the starting PG on this team, if not from day one, then soon after. His ability to penetrate will be huge for us. His scoring ability and ballhandling will also be very welcomed. This team needs a PG like Wolters. Fiegen is also a guy we sorely need and also a guy who could very well be a starter. The way it looks now we are kind of hurting for big men. Maybe Rader will emerge. Cassaday and/or Pederson, IMO, are limited guys. I think either one could be a good bench player, but an athletic big like Fiegen could really help this team.

And can you blame Nagy for wanting to win now? It was just 7 months ago that many were thinking he'd be gone. This program has struggled for 5 years now. If we get a chance to have a winning record, to rally the fans, to continue to gain interest in this program, to continue to build and if we have to sacrifice a couple kids chance to play 5 years down the road, we have to do it. As for that, I would hope that we continue to progress as to where we're not desperately needing a couple of guys in 5 years. I don't think you redshirt simply to be able to have those kids 5 years down the road, but that's just my opinion. It is very, very important to win NOW.....we can't wait much longer. USD is coming in to this conference soon, we need to take advantage while we still have an advantage. That said, there are a few key guys who could determine who redshirts; Fiegen - if he's good enough to log alot of minutes at the 4 that makes us alot deeper and more versatile as it allows Kai to slide to the 3 position more often. Moss - if he's ready to be a backup PG and SG and can play well, there is no need to use Carlson. Griffin - He actually logged 22 minutes a game last year. If he's improved and more consistent than he could log alot of minutes replacing Callahan and Sarg, a couple guys who should take alot of minutes at the 2 and 3 spots.

ON PLAYERS NOT GETTING ENOUGH MINUTES:
                  Who has proven they should get big minutes? AC, Callahan, Sargent and Kai. After that it's a crap shoot and it should be EARNED. I'm all for redshirting Carlson and White.....ONLY if others have outplayed them. If either are better than say, Griffin Callahan, then they should play regardless of class. I think a HUGE part of our meltdowns late in games (and our meltdowns led to alot of close losses) was fatigue. Nagy even said after the ORU game in Tulsa that the team was just shot. Callahan averaged 34 minutes per game last year. That's just too much, especially when in conference you play 2 games in 3 days.

Let me attempt to break down the minutes as I see it could go this year....

Rotation (10):
                  PG (40 minutes):
                  Wolters - 25 Minutes Per Game
                  Moss - 15 MPG

SG (40 minutes):
                  Callahan - 30 MPG
                  Sargent - 10 MPG

SF (40 minutes):
                  Sargent - 15 MPG
                  Williams - 15 MPG
                  Gr Callahan - 10 MPG

PF (80 minutes):
                  Cordova - 30 MPG
                  Fiegen - 25 MPG
                  WIlliams - 15 MPG
                  Rader - 5 MPG
                  Cassaday - 5 MPG

Outside looking in (5): Palarca, Engen, Pederson, Tivis, Selken,

Redshirt (2): White, Carlson

Comment

Good stuff TeaJackrabbit! Does anyone have some insight into White's injury? I may be reading too much into it, but TV's blog sure didn't sound good...
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                      Look at the minutes the guys played last year. You give these guys a little more rest time, and their production is going to go up. I really don't think any of them need to be red-shirted, unless they start the season with an injury.
                      Clearly we lost several games down the stretch the last couple of seasons because the Jacks players were tired. Coach Nagy mentioned it several times. On the flip side our Lady Jacks won several games down the stretch because they were much deeper than their apponent and wore them down. The men will do the same thing over the next few years. Depth is a really good thing.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post

I'm not sure i would read too much into a comment made before the team has an official practice. Now that it has started, these things have a way of working out. The coaches are going from spending 2 hours a week with the team, to several hours every day.

For the last 3 years i've watched the players during the summer and fall, and every year i have been surprised by 1 or 2 players that i thought looked good end up not playing many minutes during the season.

Depth is a good thing. I think coach Nagy will try different lineups during the non-conference part of the season, but i think once we get into league play, we have a core of about 4 players who will still get the lions share of the minutes.

Comment

One thing that will be interesting to watch this year is how Nagy's in-game coaching changes now that he has a full bench of assistant coaches to help him out.

In the past it seems to me that he has tended to sometimes forget about guys on his bench for long stretches. Also, personally, I hope he can delegate some of the foot-stomping to his assistants and develop into more of the Captain of the Ship sort of thing. I think he's always going to be an emotional guy but I also wonder sometimes if that gets in the way, too.

The addition of 33% more off-court coaching capacity is bound to help the team as well, in lots of little ways--for both the players and for Nagy--that probably won't be immediately obvious.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                            Clearly we lost several games down the stretch the last couple of seasons because the Jacks players were tired. Coach Nagy mentioned it several times. On the flip side our Lady Jacks won several games down the stretch because they were much deeper than their apponent and wore them down. The men will do the same thing over the next few years. Depth is a really good thing.

GBGBGJ
                            Totally agree with you.
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

On Kai and 3-point shooting in general:

When you have 5-6 three-point threats rather than 2-3, you get fresher looks for everybody, the other team can't come in focusing on a single shooter or two, and the offense opens up more for all shooters.
                              How much of our shooting over the last few years was hurt by tired guys trying to make up margins late in games? Makes a huge difference.

Playing for the first time in four years with a team that will, we hope, throw quality depth at any opponent (knock on wood with the injuries) here's one prediction that Mr. Williams will be a real shooting threat in '09-'10.

Go Jacks.

Comment

Working...
                              X