Midnight Madness on ESPN for NDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight Madness on ESPN for NDSU

Over on bisonville they are excited about NDSU being a part of their coverage on ESPN for midnight madness. This would have been great for us to have....oh wait, we don't have midnight madness this year. This will help NDSU with recruiting...at least it won't hurt.

Re: Midnight Madness on ESPN for NDSU

No midnight madness...what?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
      No midnight madness...what?
      Go to gojacks.com and find out more regarding the showcase, or whatever they are calling it. As for NDSU being on ESPN for midnight madness, they show about 10 seconds of a school.
      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
        As for NDSU being on ESPN for midnight madness, they show about 10 seconds of a school.
        I think this is a huge deal whether it's 1 second, 10 seconds, or 10 minutes. This is publicity that I wish we could be getting. Each time your program/school is in the public eye like this it is a positive. It would be a great thing to be able to tell a recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
          I think this is a huge deal whether it's 1 second, 10 seconds, or 10 minutes. This is publicity that I wish we could be getting. Each time your program/school is in the public eye like this it is a positive. It would be a great thing to be able to tell a recruit.
          Like when ESPN did the selection show for the NCAA Women's Basketball Championships and had live shots from Brookings, Tennessee, and UConn?

Comment

I think the impact to a prospective recruit is marginal at best. I'd hope the coaches/program/tradition is more important to an athlete than whether or not a shot of the school's midnight madness is shown for a few seconds on ESPN.

Comment

OBVIOUSLY the university itself, the coaching staff, the community, etc. plays a bigger role to recruits than midnight madness on espn. BUT, having your midnight madness on ESPN, for however long, is something to be excited about. I bet we would all be excited if they were at Frost for a midnight madness, wouldn't we? The big picture is that it's a good thing for the Summit League that espn is paying attention to someone in the conference.

Comment

OBVIOUSLY the university itself, the coaching staff, the community, etc. plays a bigger role to recruits than midnight madness on espn. BUT, having your midnight madness on ESPN, for however long, is something to be excited about. I bet we would all be excited if they were at Frost for a midnight madness, wouldn't we? The big picture is that it's a good thing for the Summit League that espn is paying attention to someone in the conference.

You bet its a big thing. Its one of those exposure things that you simply cannot put a value on. But, it is valueable. When the Lady Jacks were on ESPN for the selection show they were the talk of the sorrounding area. It has to have an impact on any potential recruit.

GBGBGJ

Comment

NDSU got some major airtime tonight with ESPNU. Midnight Madness on ESPNU is a four hour program and they went to Fargo several time for interviews etc. The interviewed Saul Phillips, talked about the Summit League. The ESPN guy said that they get 30,000 in the Fargo dome though for football. Wonder where he got his numbers.

It really bums me out that we did not have midnight madness this year. Everyone all over the country has one and we don't. What a bad way to start the season.
                  Last edited by 22jack; 10-16-2009, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                    NDSU got some major airtime tonight with ESPNU. Midnight Madness on ESPNU is a four hour program and they went to Fargo several time for interviews etc. The interviewed Saul Phillips, talked about the Summit League. The ESPN guy said that they get 30,000 in the Fargo dome though for football. Wonder where he got his numbers.

It really bums me out that we did not have midnight madness this year. Everyone all over the country has one and we don't. What a bad way to start the season.
                    Would it have been nice to be on ESPNU yes. However I could not disagree more on Midnight Madness. I think its a lot of hype about nothing and a fad that has lost its luster and has no real value.

Comment

Midnight Madness is a lot of hype. I don't think it is built up to be anything but that, and the schools/programs would admit that probably. BUT, I would disagree that it's just a fad and has lost it's luster. Did you see all those fans a the BSA in Fargo? How about those other college arenas that were on ESPNU? Maybe there wouldn't have been as many fans there if ESPN wasn't there covering it, but I know for a fact it is a big deal at a lot of campuses. Many include contests, games, etc for fans that makes it fun and gets them involved. I like Midnight Madness and think it's here to stay. A Kansas player noted in an interview that it was their 25th Midnight Madness. That is longer than a fad.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        Would it have been nice to be on ESPNU yes. However I could not disagree more on Midnight Madness. I think its a lot of hype about nothing and a fad that has lost its luster and has no real value.
                        Agreed. The exposure would be nice but the whole thing is overdone, to the point of being silly.

Comment

Over 20k fans at Kentucky were there. Over 20k fans were at Michigan St. It is not a fad and it is not dying out. It is entertaining for fans. If you did not like it, you had the option of not going. Now none of us have the option. It has become a tradition. Some people think having a parade on homcoming is dumb and pointless but yet people come and watch it every year even though it is the exact same as the previous year.

I am not one that thinks the parade is dumb or pointless.

Comment

Midnight Madness is silly, but that's exactly the point. Its a way for the students to get excited about the upcoming basketball season. Its a way for people to reconnect with the basketball team in the middle of the volleyball and football seasons. Its a way for the coaches to showcase their new players. Its a way for the players to let loose on the court and have some fun. Slam dunk contest, 3-point contests and scrimmages allow the players put on a fun show for the crowd. I enjoyed it all 4 years that I went @ NDSU and was disappointed that I was not able to attend this year. But I did see some it on at Cubby's and have also seen highlights on YouTube and agree it is great for the conference to get some recognition.

Comment

Working...
                            X