Women's Basketball: SDSU vs. Texas A&M-Corpus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women's Basketball: SDSU vs. Texas A&M-Cor

I see there were only 6 turnovers in the game by the Jacks. I wander if that is a record? I know when I was playing we usually had a bit more than that... Wow, that is impressive!

Comment

from news at STATE

01/26/2006

SDSU Outguns Corpus Christi 68-45

BROOKINGS, SD - South Dakota State opened a 20 point lead in the first 13 minutes and the Jackrabbits went on to defeat Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 68-45 in women’s basketball Thursday night at Frost Arena.

The Jacks opened the game with three point field goals by Andrea Verdegan, Ashlea Muckenhirn and Megan Vogel, and by the time Heather Sieler scored on a layup after a steal, the Jacks were up 27-7 with seven minutes left.

SDSU is now 11-8 for the season and will play at Florida International Saturday. Florida International is 12-6 and shares the lead in the Sun Belt Conference Eastern Division with Middle Tennessee State, each at 5-1 in league play. Middle Tennessee defeated SDSU 79-72 earlier this year.

Corpus Christi, now 10-8, will face North Dakota State in Fargo Saturday.

SDSU led 31-15 at halftime and had just three turnovers at the break. Each team shot 35 per cent for the game, and TAMCC had a 45-43 rebounding advantage, but SDsU was plus 13 in turnovers, 19-6.

Vogel led the Jacks with 17 points while Verdegan and Sieler scored 13 each. Vogel and Verdegan had three three-point baskets each while Muckenhirn had two.

Corpus Christi was led Terra Andrews, the 2005 NCAA Division I Independent Player of the Year who had 17 points and 13 rebounds. The other four TAMCC starters combined had just 11 points.

South Dakota State 68, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 45
      TAMCC (10-8)
      Jenesis Shaw 0-3 0-0 0, Terra Andrews 8-16 1-2 17, Lindsey Van Dorn 1-7 0-1 2, Mercedes Cooper 1-3 5-6 7, Nicole Duncan 1-3 0-1 2, Brittany Fowler 0-2 0-0 0, Kirbria Lewis 3-7 0-0 6, Monica Pena 1-4 0-0 3, Jullianne Duffey 0-3 0-0 0, Sarah Davidson 0-1 0-0 0, Elisa Beagle 4-6 0-1 8, Brooke Massey 0-0 0-0 0. Total 19-55 6-11 45.

SDSU (11-8)
      Megan Vogel 5-14 4-6 17, Christina Gilbert 1-7 0-0 2, Ashlea Muckenhirn 3-10 0-0 8, Andrea Verdegan 4-9 2-2 13, Heather Sieler 5-9 2-3 13, Natalie Carda 0-0 1-2 1, Morgan Meier 1-4 0-0 2, Stacie Oistad 0-2 3-6 3, Jennifer Warkenthein 2-4 1-1 5, Courtney Grimsrud 1-4 2-4 4. Totals 22-63 15-24 68.

Halftime: SDSU 31, TAMCC 15.

FG% - TAMCC .345, SDSU .349. 3-pt FG - TAMCC 1-6 (Pena 1-3, Fowler 0-1, Van Dorn 0-2), SDSU 9-28 (Verdegan 3-7, Vogel 3-9, Muckenhirn 2-6, Sieler 1-3, Meier 0-1, Oistad 0-1, Warkenthein 0-1). Rebounds - TAMCC 45 (Andrews 13), SDSU 43 (Vogel 7, Gilbert 7, Muckenhirn 7). Fouls - TAMCC 19, SDSU 18. Fouled out - none. Assists - TAMCC 6 (Lewis 2), SDSU 15 (Verdegan 4). Steals - TAMCC 3 (Andrews, Cooper, Duncan), SDSU 9 (Vogel 3). Blocked shots - TAMCC 4, SDSU 2 (Muckenhirn, Oistad). Turnovers - TAMCC 19, SDSU 6. Attendance 1,788.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...601270328/1002

Jacks bounce back
        SDSU women pounce on Corpus Christi

Chris Solari
        csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 01/27/06, 2:55 am

BROOKINGS - A certain gleam emanated from the young Jackrabbits' eyes Thursday night, the kind of focus that some of South Dakota State's best teams possessed the last few years of glory.

Maybe it was the Women's National Invitation Tournament berth that visiting Texas A&M-Corpus Christi earned last year, something the Jacks want to experience. Or perhaps it was the sting of Sunday's loss at Brown, an Ivy League school in Providence, R.I., to whom SDSU felt they had no good reason to lose.

Whatever the case, the Jackrabbits played 13 of their fieriest minutes of the season to open a 20-point lead at the outset of Thursday night's game, maintaining their passion throughout a 68-45 victory over the Islanders.

"From a mental standpoint, this is the best game we've played all year," said Coach Aaron Johnston, whose Jacks improved to 11-8. "I thought we were into every possession on offense and defense."

Aided by a barrage of 3-pointers, SDSU immediately sent the veteran Islanders (10-9) onto their heels. Andrea Verdegan, Ashlea Muckenhirn and Megan Vogel all hit from behind the arc for the Jacks' first three buckets, forcing Corpus Christi coach Jodi Kest to burn a timeout less than five minutes into the contest.

"I tried to tell my kids over and over again how good South Dakota State was," said Kest, whose team has already played Top 25 teams Baylor and LSU. "They needed to come out and match their intensity, and we did not do that in the first five minutes."

Junior Vogel had 10 of her 17 points in the early run, including another 3-pointer after the timeout. Verdegan swished a deep trifecta from the right wing, then followed it up by driving through the lane to split the Islanders' defense for a double-clutch layup.

"It helped that we were making our shots," sophomore Verdegan said. "Then, it made them close out on us a little harder, and then you could go right by them."

Seconds after Verdegan's highlight-reel basket, senior Heather Sieler ripped one of SDSU's nine steals and drove in for an uncontested fast-break layup and a 27-7 lead.

The Jackrabbits made 11 of 28 shots in the first 13 minutes, including 5 of 12 3-pointers. SDSU, which forced 19 turnovers while committing just six in the game, led 31-15 at half and by double digits virtually the entire way.

"I thought we got really quality shots, either in transition or in the halfcourt offense," Johnston said. "Defensively, we were solid. They are a very good team with very good players. We did a good job making them take some tough shots."

Verdegan and Sieler each finished with 13 points. Vogel, Muckenhirn and Christina Gilbert all had seven rebounds.

Reigning Division I Independent Player of the Year Tessa Andrews was the only Islander in double figures with 17 points and 13 rebounds. Corpus Christi, which returned four starters from last year's second-round WNIT team, had won three straight and four of its last five.

Returning to the road Saturday at Florida International, the Jackrabbits have a chance to maintain their momentum. With just two seniors and one junior in the regular 10-player rotation, the young SDSU lineup has struggled with consistency in back-to-back games.

"Mostly, we just need to jumpstart our season, turn the corner and now focus on playing like this every single night and putting a string of games together," Vogel said.

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Comment

Nice win by the Jacks. Keep it up ladies!!

Comment

I agree very nice win. I didn't think they were as crisp as the Texas St. game, but still very good. I agree about the comments on their shooting being off. I felt they were forcing shots, including 3's for awhile. Without the early 20pt lead this game was more even. Would be another huge win to win in Texas.

I also agree we might want to get an early verbal on #15, very impressive for her size.

Nice to see the students back as well...

Comment

Working...
            X