Attendance Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attendance Observations

I for one have been watching attendance numbers particularily this year since we had D1 opponents come to Frost which did not happen last year. I was curious to see how they would respond to better competition.

For the men, to date we have had 9 home games with a total attendance of 16,984 or an average of 1887 per game. The total attendance for 2004-05 was 17,773 for 11 games with an average of 1617. So attendance for men's games despite all the setback is still up over last year.  The men will surpass 2004-05 this monday with NDSU and Texas Pan American to still come to Frost.

The women who definitely have a better product on the floor this season has drawn only 12, 401 or an aveage of 1550 per game.

When you add both men and women together, the total for the year is 29,385 and roughly 1716 per game.

When you back and look at D2 where men and women are combined in a double hitter, it makes comparison difficult if not impossible.

Here are the men figures and I think they are relevant as we have had long time fans who have loved the double hitter.
    2003-04   57,383 average 3375
    2002-03   59,357 average 3492
    2001-02   75, 633 average 4449
    2000-01    52, 707, average 3765

The thing to remember is both women and men not only played double hitters, but both were competing for conference championships.

Not are we only missing the casual fans these two past seasons, but we seem to be missing that fan who loves a women's game followed by a men's game. Incomes and family size could be playing a role here.

I think its going to take some time for this love of a double hitter element to be recaptured or replaced with some other features to draw 4000 to 5000 on a regular basis. A conference you would think would allow more opportunities for double hitters, but maybe not. D1 seems to do things on a more elaborate manner and men and women travel and play separately.

Since the smack thread comparing attendance of SDSU and USD got out of hand and was apparently dropped by our thoughtful moderator, I will just point out where to date we stand in terms of games, total attendance and average. BTW, 89, I glad you dropped the thread especially after this week

Last night USD drew something like 3313 and their todate total is 18, 474, with two more NCC home game to be added to this total. USD has played 11 games and their average is 1679 and improving.

SDSU as indicated above stands at 16,984 for 9 game and an average of 1887. SDSU is roughly short 1500 people with two less games played at home.

The bottom line is that our attendance will only get better with each game next year. Also we are at such a weak bargining position for putting together a better schedule. Again time will correct that too.

I like to see the students involved and the plans for getting student leaders is a very good idea.  One encouraging thing I saw last night when coming in the west entrance of Frost was the stream of students coming from the dorms and other places on campus and looking to have good time at the game.

Re: Attendance Observations

Nice work and well done!

With a year like this year and see the stats above, makes you wonder what will happen when everything is hitting on all cylinders (success, schedule, conference etc.)

It's worth noting, that the NDSU games are still on there way...

Comment

Working...
    X