Argus Leader Sports Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Leader Sports Web

Argus sports staffers Stu Whitney, Mick Garry, and Chris Solari (along with online editor Cory Beck) recorded their weekly webcast today in my class at SDSU. The guest was Aaron Johnston. I'm sure many listeners will get hung up on Stu's not-so-subtle digs at SDSU, but listen to his interview of Johnston and you'll hear a lot of genuine admiration for what the women's team has accomplished. I was also impressed with how much all of those guys love South Dakota sports. They spent an hour before recording the webcast with my students and spoke with great sincerety and passion about the state and about their appreciation for the sports culture here.

Among the interesting points in the webcast:

-- AJ has spoken to people in the know about the WNIT. He believes that if the team wins out, there is still at least the chance of a WNIT bid. If a bid is offered, SDSU will get a chance to make the case for a home game based on our stellar attendance figures. I wouldn't say he's optimistic about a WNIT bid, but the possibility still exists.

-- AJ notes that the women's team GPA for the fall semester was better than 3.6, which is even better than last year's team GPA that ranked the team #2 in the nation. (As a professor, I thought that was the most important and significant thing AJ had to say. That is just an amazing GPA and we should all congratulate the team and be very proud of that performance.)

-- Stu poked around for a response to the men's team controversy, but AJ wasn't biting. I think he gave sincere and honest answers to those questions and said the controversy hurts everybody at SDSU.

-- In response to a question about Heather Seiler, AJ talked about what she has meant to this program, reflecting on the fact that she (and Christina Gilbert) only have six games left in their careers. He also spoke about Megan Vogel's remarkable career to this point.

All in all, it was a pretty interesting day. I know that the 25 or so students in attendance enjoyed spending time with 3/7 of the Argus sports staff and 100 percent of their online staff. I am grateful to them for taking the time to visit for an hour with our students before the webcast recording session. I came away more convinced than ever that we're lucky to have a daily newspaper in Sioux Falls with so much sportswriting talent.

I hadn't met AJ before, either. I came away tremendously impressed with him. The guy just personifies quality and commitment.

Here's a link to the webcast:

http://interface.audiovideoweb.com/l...20806.mp3/play

Re: Argus Leader Sports Web

Either I got a bad dial up server or the webcast file is corrupt as you get into about 7 minutes and it times out and the file is not available. None-the-less 7 minutes of Stu was all I could take. What a Jerk. I would not be afraid to say so to his face. This guy, you wonder where in the world he came from. He mentions the superbowl celebration and use this to bring up the SDSU student riot of 1990. Its not funny and just because he gave two hours plus travel time to SDSU, does he still have the right to be so insulting in a subtle manner?  I dont plan to take any journalism classes any time soon so I can do without Stu's valuable knowledge. Stu will  always think of SDSU in a negative manner no matter what we do, so I guess I will just consider the source, and think that horse manure might be more valuable. With horse manure, you can at least grow good rhubbarb.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
      Either I got a bad dial up server or the webcast file is corrupt as you get into about 7 minutes and it times out and the file is not available. None-the-less 7 minutes of Stu was all I could take. What a Jerk. I would not be afraid to say so to his face. This guy, you wonder where in the world he came from. He mentions the superbowl celebration and use this to bring up the SDSU student riot of 1990. Its not funny and just because he gave two hours plus travel time to SDSU, does he still have the right to be so insulting in a subtle manner?  I dont plan to take any journalism classes any time soon so I can do without Stu's valuable knowledge. Stu will  always think of SDSU in a negative manner no matter what we do, so I guess I will just consider the source, and think that horse manure might be more valuable. With horse manure, you can at least grow good rhubbarb.
      I certainly understand your sentiment, SDSUFAN, and you're entitled to it. Stu often deserves it, and I think he enjoys annoying people. I just don't think it's healthy or productive to get angry with the media. They have a job to do, and it doesn't necessarily include looking at SDSU in the same way we, a bunch of fans and supporters on a pro-SDSU bulletin board, look at the institution.

This sort of interaction is not just good for the students, it's good for SDSU. Those guys get to see another side of the institution... the best side... the students. They get a sense of what we do here. They get to meet students, faculty, and administrators in a different setting. It can't help but fill in the picture of SDSU for them and that's good for us. We have a good story to tell, and we rely on them to help us tell it.

One thing I forgot to mention before that I didn't know until the other day. SDSUFAN's nemesis on the Argus forums, Cory Beck, the guy who banned him from those forums, is an SDSU graduate. He's from DeSmet and is no relation to the Argus editor. You probably knew that already, but I didn't realize it. FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
        I certainly understand your sentiment, SDSUFAN, and you're entitled to it. Stu often deserves it, and I think he enjoys annoying people. I just don't think it's healthy or productive to get angry with the media. They have a job to do, and it doesn't necessarily include looking at SDSU in the same way we, a bunch of fans and supporters on a pro-SDSU bulletin board, look at the institution.

This sort of interaction is not just good for the students, it's good for SDSU. Those guys get to see another side of the institution... the best side... the students. They get a sense of what we do here. They get to meet students, faculty, and administrators in a different setting. It can't help but fill in the picture of SDSU for them and that's good for us. We have a good story to tell, and we rely on them to help us tell it.

One thing I forgot to mention before that I didn't know until the other day. SDSUFAN's nemesis on the Argus forums, Cory Beck, the guy who banned him from those forums, is an SDSU graduate. He's from DeSmet and is no relation to the Argus editor. You probably knew that already, but I didn't realize it. FYI.
        Cory Beck is also Rabbitinvermillions good friend as well. FYI. Also I dont consider Cory Beck a nemisis. He had the power and did what he felt was necessary to keep his job. Why make him a bigger enemy to me than he really is? I dont have an opinion of Corey Beck other than what you said, an SDSU alum. I gave you my opinion of Stu Whitney and no need to repeat that. Chris is the only descent guy in the bunch as far as I am concerned, but somehow we are suppose to kiss up to these Argus guys? I dont think so.

Comment

Cory Beck is also Rabbitinvermillions good friend as well. FYI. Also I dont consider Cory Beck a nemisis. He had the power and did what he felt was necessary to keep his job. Why make him a bigger enemy to me than he really is? I dont have an opinion of Corey Beck other than what you said, an SDSU alum. I gave you my opinion of Stu Whitney and no need to repeat that. Chris is the only descent guy in the bunch as far as I am concerned, but somehow we are suppose to kiss up to these Argus guys? I dont think so.
          The mature response to something you don't like in the newspaper is to fold up the thing and line your bird's cage with it. The sun will come up tomorrow, and another paper will hit the doorstep. It's not the end of the world. Another mature response is to engage those people with whom you disagree in some constructive way and try to change their minds or show them another facet of the story. Since I know those guys, I thought I might try that.

Wow, this is really becoming an unpleasant bulletin board. I thought maybe the women's team's 3.6+ GPA might be a nice thing to mention but a couple of angry posts by SDSUFAN later it devolves into this. Yikes. This used to be a fun diversion. It's not so much fun anymore.

Comment

The mature response to something you don't like in the newspaper is to fold up the thing and line your bird's cage with it. The sun will come up tomorrow, and another paper will hit the doorstep. It's not the end of the world. Another mature response is to engage those people with whom you disagree in some constructive way and try to change their minds or show them another facet of the story. Since I know those guys, I thought I might try that.

Wow, this is really becoming an unpleasant bulletin board. I thought maybe the women's team's 3.6+ GPA might be a nice thing to mention but a couple of angry posts by SDSUFAN later it devolves into this. Yikes. This used to be a fun diversion. It's not so much fun anymore.
            It is what people make it.

If you (the general "you." not you OK_Jackrabbit) want to dwell on the negative, harp, complain, and generally be bitter and unpleasant, well then you go right ahead. Someone here (or elsewhere) will let you know when you get out of line. Then you can be negative, bitter, and unpleasant to "us" too.

I think the women's team's GPA is a fantastic thing, which really needs to be celebrated more. It's sad that (from a certain point of view) what should be a positive story gets hijacked by the bad attitude of a media guy and the possibly oversensitive responses by the SDSU fandom. Sad but by no means surprising.

I also think that media guys can be biased and snarky and generally unpleasant (and some actually get paid for it). Really, they're no different in that respect than bulletin board posters, and pretty much every other creature that's had human DNA since the dawn of time.

I choose to (for the most part) not let that ruin my day, or if I'm lucky, have some fun at the snarky people's expense.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Some more semi-random comments re: unpleasant/angry postings:

Well-written ridicule sometimes works . . . ;D

Some people are letting the current men's BB trainwreck affect their thinking/mood/posting too much.

Come on, y'all, it will work out. Chill. Go watch the truly weird and amazing Winter Olympics opening ceremony. You think we got problems . . .
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Actually, I haven't talked to Corey since we golfed and partook in traditional bachelor party activities at my brother's bachelor party last summer in Webster.  Man, that was a blast...at least I think it was a blast ;D

Comment

Gosh I am sorry I messed up media day here. Being honest somehow translates into anger, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. ;D ;D ;D I dont feel anger, just resent Stu Whitney's sarcastic remarks. But gee since he came to SDSU to talk to students, we are suppose take that and shut up because he is a paid bully? :-X ;D

Comment

Gosh I am sorry I messed up media day here. Being honest somehow translates into anger, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. ;D ;D ;D I dont feel anger, just resent Stu Whitney's sarcastic remarks. But gee since he came to SDSU to talk to students, we are suppose take that and shut up because he is a paid bully? :-X ;D
                    Adding smileys to angry statements and declaring them "honest" doesn't make this any more fun. You have spoken here many times about your poor GPA in college. Any thoughts about the women's team's 3.6+ GPA? Or does that just make you mad at Stu Whitney? The WNIT? More frustration with Whitney. Heather Seiler? Just reminds you of how much you hate Stu Whitney. Journalists taking time to help educate SDSU students? Stu Whitney is a jerk. Me posting anything about the media? More Stu Whitney. Stu Whitney speaking of his admiration for the SDSU women's team? Just makes you mad at Stu Whitney.

Maybe you should just publish your "Not-Yellow-and-Blue-Enough: Enemies List of People You Have Never Met" here on the board and we can all try to avoid discussing any of those people in any context at any time. I volunteer to be the first name on that list. Maybe those of us on the list should wear scarlet U.'s on our chests since we're all obviously deranged USD-lovers. : 8) ??? ;D

Comment

Adding smileys to angry statements and declaring them "honest" doesn't make this any more fun. You have spoken here many times about your poor GPA in college. Any thoughts about the women's team's 3.6+ GPA? Or does that just make you mad at Stu Whitney? The WNIT? More frustration with Whitney. Heather Seiler? Just reminds you of how much you hate Stu Whitney. Journalists taking time to help educate SDSU students? Stu Whitney is a jerk. Me posting anything about the media? More Stu Whitney. Stu Whitney speaking of his admiration for the SDSU women's team? Just makes you mad at Stu Whitney.

Maybe you should just publish your "Not-Yellow-and-Blue-Enough: Enemies List of People You Have Never Met" here on the board and we can all try to avoid discussing any of those people in any context at any time. I volunteer to be the first name on that list. Maybe those of us on the list should wear scarlet U.'s on our chests since we're all obviously deranged USD-lovers. : 8) ??? ;D
                      Whose is angry here? I am not. Please have a good day.
                      BTW I am glad we have good students at SDSU, not so sure about the profs though. ;D MY GPA? Why is that relevent? Also Stu will be Stu, I can not change that, but I can use his columns for bird cage bottoms. ;D

Comment

Whose is angry here? I am not. Please have a good day.
                        BTW I  am glad we have good students at SDSU, not so sure about the profs though. ;D MY GPA? Why is that relevent? Also Stu will be Stu, I can not change that, but  I can use his columns for bird cage bottoms. ;D
                        Can we just drop the whole Stu Witney thing please, this is just plain stupid. If you have a problem with a guy, thats your prerogative, but stop reminding us about it every day. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is sick of hearing about it. Thanks

Comment

Its really as easy as this:

Stu is Stu.
                          Sid is Sid.
                          SDSUFAN is an internet name used by a person who has a well-established opinion about things and isn't afraid to speak his mind. He is not about to change regardless of anyone's opinion of what he has to say.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I do not have any resemblence to the late Joe McCarthy, once US Sentator from Wisconsin. There are no yellow and blue loyality lists that I know of nor would I have reason to create one. I will drop Stu in a second and I dont believe I have brought him up on a daily basis as Jack02 implied. He would never be brought up if it were up to me. ;D

Comment

Working...
                            X