Nagy not planning to leave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nagy not planning to leave

First off, let me start by stating that anyone who thinks that Coach Nagy should be let go needs to go to the Doctor for a check-up. He is a GREAT coach (obviously, look at his career record) and people need to realize that. EVERY school except for the top schools in the country have down years A.K.A "Rebuilding Years" And wouldnt you think that transitioning from D2 to D1 would be considered as those years? Any talk of Coach Nagy leaving is not what this team, program, and school need. Coach Nagy seems like a happy camper here at SDSU and I believe he will stay......the only way I could see him leaving is if the faculty made ANOTHER mistake and let him go (I wouldnt put it past them). Last but not least, I believed and or thought about this before hearing the statement of a freind of a freind mentioned that players would not be happy. Said he heard that Holdren and possibly others were henting that they would more than likely leave if Coach Nagy were to not be here anymore. If our Faculty wants the program to go to the dumps, I would say let Coach Nagy go. If they want it to blossom into a solid mid-major program. Give it one possibly two more years and we will be there. Mark my words!

Comment

Can Nagy truly be responsible for the players actions 24/7? How about the parents involvement? How many of us have kids that have done things that totally surprise us? I personally would never blame anyone else for something that my child did!!

But............on the flip side of all this I also want to remind you all that both of the players that are being investigated have alibi's and have given DNA samples willingly. Doesn't that sound like an odd thing to do if one is guilty?

I won't give up on the players. And I wish that the truth will be quick to come and the press will be able to print the whole story.

These are young men, sons of parents just like some of us. If they are guilty they should be prosecuted to the fullest, but if they are not guilty how aweful for those youngs lives.

Side note - I know there are other coaches that have expressed interest in these players......

If only we could fast forward through all of this so SDSU could concentrate on building a competitive D-I team. Stats tell us that it takes years to build a competitive team when going through a transition from 2 to 1. I believe that Nagy has the knowledge, experience and the stick-to-it-ness to get the job done. Time, time, time is what it takes.....

OK, I will get off my high horse now.........

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...603010334/1002

SDSU president says Nagy will return as men's coach

CHRIS SOLARI
        csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 03/1/06, 2:55 am

South Dakota State University president Peggy Miller said Tuesday that Scott Nagy will remain men's basketball coach next year.

"He's the guy for us," Miller said.

Talk that Nagy would not be back at SDSU began after two of his players - Mohamed Berte and Andre Gilbert - were suspended by the university on Feb. 1. The Jackrabbits (9-18 ) also are in the midst of a second consecutive losing season since moving to Division I in the 2004-05 season.

Miller, who said she hadn't heard the rumors about Nagy, wrote a letter to the coach last week and commended him for having "faced the challenges" in a positive manner. With a season-ending injury to sophomore Steve Holdren earlier in the season, the suspensions of the two players forced Nagy to add four football players to the basketball roster for depth.

"(Nagy's) a coach that can face hard times and still model to young men and women what responsible behavior is when the circumstances give you a hard break," said Miller, who will retire at the end of 2006. "What more can you ask from a coach?"

The president added that she also wrote a letter to football coach John Stiegelmeier thanking him for allowing his four players -- Brock Campbell, Glen Fox, Mike Steffen and Chris Wagner -- to help the short-handed basketball team.

The Jacks, 4-3 since the suspensions, have two games remaining - Friday at San Diego State and Sunday at Cal State Fullerton.

"I think the kids who are left are playing hard and have been through a lot," Nagy said last week. "We've had to coach hard, think through things, get guys the ball at the right time. I think these two years will not only make me, but our entire staff, better coaches."

Nagy had 20-plus wins in eight of his first nine seasons, including five straight years before going 10-18 last year. The 39-year-old is 229-95 in his tenure at SDSU, his only head coaching job.

"He's a good guy," Miller said of Nagy. "He'll make it through."

Berte and Gilbert remain suspended as the investigation into an alleged sexual assault of a female student that occurred on campus in December continues. No criminal charges have been filed.

Clyde Calhoon, the state's attorney for Brookings County, said Tuesday that he has received all the files about the alleged assault from the University Police Department. Calhoon said he is reviewing the paperwork, but has no timetable for when or if he will file charges against the men.

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Comment

"(Nagy's) a coach that can face hard times and still model to young men and women what responsible behavior is when the circumstances give you a hard break," said Miller, who will retire at the end of 2006. "What more can you ask from a coach?"
          A quote which bears repeating.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

"He's the guy for us," Miller said. "He's a good guy," Miller said of Nagy. "He'll make it through."
            No wonder us students love her so much Nagy for Prez Johnston for Vice Prez in '08. they gots my vote.

Comment

"I think these two years will not only make me, but our entire staff, better coaches."
              (NAGY)

There is no doubt in my mind that this is a true statement and one that provides insight to the future....

Comment

Working...
              X