Minnesota  Mr and Ms Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota  Mr and Ms Basketball

The Jacks landed two incoming football recruits on the Mr Basketball All State Senior Team (Domino and Minett) and two Ms Basketball candidates (Nielson and Boever)

February 27, 2006, Bloomington, MN - The Mr./Miss Basketball of Minnesota Committees are pleased to announce their All State Senior Teams for 2006. From this list of awardees, the Five Finalists will be named prior to their respective State Tournaments.

From the named Five Finalists, the winners will then be crowned at the 32nd Annual Awards Banquet which will be held on Sunday, April 9th at the Minneapolis Sheraton West.

Mr. Basketball All-State Senior Team 2005-06

Name School
    Parker Skophammer, 6-7 Albert Lea
    Ben Kreklow, 6-3 Blaine
    Steve Wheeler, 6-5 Bloomington efferson
    Isaiah Dahlman, 6-7 Braham
    Elijah Poindexter, 6-2 Burnsville
    Josh Peltier, 6-4 Cretin-Derham Hall
    Cameron Rundles, 6-0 DeLaSalle
    Cory Johnson, 6-6 Duluth East
    Alex White, 5-10 Eastview
    Ryan Wittman, 6-6 Eden Prairie
    Tyler Macomber, 6-4 Elk River
    Josh Roysland Fosston
    Doug Plumb, 6-2 Hastings
    Steve Duncan, 6-5 Hopkins
    Dan Vandervieren, 6-10 Hopkins
    Chop Tang, 6-6 Mankato East
    Tommy Saffert, 6-1 Mankato West
    Mike Lochner, 6-10 Maple Grove
    Stephen Hanson, 6-6 Maranatha Christian
    Robert Eppinger, 6-7 Mpls. Henry
    Romain Martin, 6-3 Mpls. North
    Ricky Batsell-Parks, 6-6 Mpls. North
    Paul Hill, 6-1 Mpls. North
    Stavon Williams, 6-4 Mpls. Roosevelt
    Todd Herman, 6-4 New London-Spicer
    Taylor Huseby, 6-6 Pelican Rapids
    Jon Cassens, 6-1 Prior Lake
    Dwayne Hardy, 6-5 Richfield
    Tyler Cain, 6-6 Rochester John Marshall
    Kyle Minett, 5-11 Russell-Tyler-Ruthton
    Brett Newton Russell-Tyler-Ruthton
    Derek Domino, 6-4 Spring Lake Park
    Denote Roberts, 6-4 St. Bernards
    Freddy Coleman, 6-4 St. Paul Johnson
    Bryce Webster, 6-10 St. Thomas Academy
    David Hicks, 6-2 St. Thomas Academy
    Kwadzo Ahelegbe, 6-2 Tartan
    Matt Janning, 6-4 Watertown-Mayer

Miss Basketball All-State Senior Team
    2005-06

Candidate School
    Jenna Smith Bloomington Kennedy
    Emily Neal Breck
    Kelly Jo Mullaney Breck
    Cory Montgomery Cannon Falls
    Katie DeWitt Centennial
    Sarah Ingison Concordia Academy (Roseville)
    Lindsay Laur Cretin-Derham Hall
    Kylee Smith Cromwell
    Cassie Johnson Eastview
    Krista Opheim Eden Valley-Watkins
    Kari Olstad Elgin-Millville
    Renee Frericks Forest Lake
    Anna Bjorlin Hermantown
    Anna Matetich Hibbing
    Tara Dillon Hill-Murray
    Amy Storer Hill-Murray
    Jessica Miller Holy Angels
    Jillian Schurle Hopkins
    Abby Greene Hopkins
    Jamie Jones Irondale
    Jill Zaruba Monticello
    Alison Anderson NHREG
    Megan Mileusnic Orono
    Brittany Quistorff Osakis
    Amy Beggin Roseville
    Megan Foley St. Cloud Tech
    Breanna Salley St. Francis
    Katie Jamnick Tower-Soudan
    Jenny Van Kirk Waconia
    Tressa Beckel Waseca
    Laura Nielson Willmar
    Zoraa Quoie Woodbury
    Maria Boever Worthington

Re: Minnesota  Mr and Ms Basketball

Unlike our state MN does their Mr./Miss Basketball selection process the right way. For starters they have a selection committee of approximately 5 people who make the nominations and selections instead of sending out post cards to HS coaches all over the state (many who never see athletes outside of their geographical region) and other bball people around the state, which basically gives over 100 people a vote in who wins the award.

MN holds their awards banquet in a respectable hotel in Minneapolis while SD holds theirs in a place called the "Barn" in Huron.

Sad to say but the Mr./Miss Basketball award in SD is more of a popularity contest rather than the award going to the most talented basketball players in the state. It also has lost it's luster over the years and is overshadowed by the Argus POY and other newspaper awards. In my opinion the Gatorade Player of the Year award is the most prestegious award handed out in the state each year. It has consistantly been given to the best basketball player the state has produced each year.

Comment

No longer the Barn in Huron, it has been torn down for a Super Walmart.

I believe it was held there because the originator was from Huron. Might be wrong but it explains why it is held in Huron.

As far as the way their picked...I agree, it should be by a committee, not by a popularity contest.

Comment

Does anyone know what former SDSU football player won the Mr. Basketball award in the state of MN?

Comment

Todd Bouman.

Comment

You mean Shane Bouman, who quarterbacked the Jacks and is now the current Jacks softball coach. His brother Todd played at St. Cloud before catching on in the NFL.

Comment

Nope ... Todd played his freshman year of basketball as a Jackrabbit, then transferred to St. Cloud.

Comment

The guy I'm thinking of played defense. I believe he also holds the record for sacks in a single game at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                  Nope ... Todd played his freshman year of basketball as a Jackrabbit, then transferred to St. Cloud.
                  We should have let him be a two sport athlete here. As I understand it, that's why he transferred to St. Cloud.

Comment

That and he had a hard time passing any classes.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                      That'll do it....

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                        The Bouman family has contributed much to SDSU, with their athletic and coaching prowess, as well as many other ways. For that I am grateful.

With all respect to Todd, 2 sports and keeping up academically at SDSU, just wasn't in the cards. Sure seems things have worked out just fine for him. Just goes to show, if you work hard and find the right niche, you will succeed.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have mucho respect for Todd as an athlete and will give a couple quick stories about him.

First - My redshirt freshman season the first game I ever started was against St. Cloud. Bouman was the QB and they had a TE who was all-NCC. My first "welcome to college football, son" moment came on a little 10 yard hook route by the TE on our 30-40 yard line. I made my read and dropped back into my hook zone. I knew the TE was there and purposely hung back about 2 yards off of him hoping to bait Bouman to throw it to him so I could make a break and have a sure INT. Well, Bouman took the bait and threw it to the TE. I was ready and was mentally preparing my dance on the sideline as I made my break on the ball. Bouman threw the ball so hard I just made it in time to tackle the TE before turning into a REALLY big play. That was the last time I ever "baited" a QB into completing a pass. Bouman could wing it. I will never forget that play and can still remember Stig giving me a hard time watching the films of the play.

Second. During Bouman's last season as a baskeball player they were playing at Frost and losing a good game to the Jacks. He fouled out with a couple minutes to go in the 4th and we Jacks' fans started the "LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT" chant as he walked towards the bench. Bouman made it to his bench and started hopping on his left foot prompting us to chant "LEFT, LEFT, LEFT, LEFT". Everyone cracked up about it including Bouman who was smiling as he did it. I still crack up about it today. Again, another moment I'll never forget.

Academic problems aside, Todd Bouman was/is one hell of an athlete. (He also ran a sprint option on a 3rd and 2 down by our endzone which lead to their final score and our eventual defeat. It may have been the only sprint option they ran all year and totally caught us off guard as Bouman never ran the ball. Ahh, memories.)
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                            Does anyone know what former SDSU football player won the Mr. Basketball award in the state of MN?
                            Why am i thinking Mark Dunbar?
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979

Why am i thinking Mark Dunbar?
                              You'd be right. Sioux Valley Mafia rises again ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X