Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Davis, Selken, Rader, Pederson, Fiegen, White & Carlson...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis, Selken, Rader, Pederson, Fiegen, White & Carlson...

Anthony Davis - any updates on his health? What are the chances he is able to play next year?

Nick Selken - I liked him at Lincoln but was still surprised State would have interest in him. What is his future on this team?

James Rader - was a pretty decent player in Colorado and his size (6'7 220) could help us. What are you hearing from him and what are the chances he contributes next year?

Dwight Pederson - don't really know much about him other than he was a pretty solid player for Sioux Valley. Any idea what his future holds with state?

Fiegen, White and Carlson - who do you see playing next year? We might need Fiegen inside, especially if Davis is out. Either White or Carlson should redshirt and I'll bet it's Carlson (even though I think he's going to be the better player).

Re: Davis, Selken, Rader, Pederson, Fiegen, White & Carlson...

NEXT YEAR....

STARTERS:
    G - Ga. Callahan (6'1 (SR) -hopefully improves even more
    G - C. Sargent (6'4 JR) -primed to be leading scorer
    F - K. Williams (6'6 SR) -hopefully his best year is his last
    F - A. Cordova (6'7 JR) -solid big man, pleasant surprise
    C - A Davis (6'10 JR) -just hope the guy is able to play

BENCH:
    G/F - D. Moss (6'4 JR) -the way he's been playing lately he could start!
    G - Gr. Callahan (6'4 (SO) -should be ready to be a nice bench player
    G - M. Palarca ( 5'10 JR) -will Calahan and Moss cut into his minutes?
    F - T. Fiegen (6'8 FR) -could really use his size if he's ready to play
    C - M. Engen (6'10 SR) -five minutes a game?

OTHERS?
    F - James Rader (6'7 rFR) -can he contribute?
    G - B. Carlson (6'4 FR) -redshirt?
    G - C. White (6'6 FR) -redshirt?
    F - J. Cassaday (6'6 SO) -will Moss or others steals the few minutes he gets?
    F - D. Pederson (6'8 SO) -see Rader

Comment

If I remember correctly it was already announced that Carlson would be red-shirting next year. As for White/Fiegen I would guess that Fiegen would be red-shirted before White because of their positions. I'm thinking White is more physically ready to play guard than Fiegen is ready to play forward.

I don't think we should be counting on Davis next year. Terry said in the chat today that they still don't have any idea if he'll be able to play and Davis and the coaches are going to have to sit down in the offseason to discuss his future.

Will definitely be interesting to see how everything comes together next fall. We have every major player back and will have some new guys in the mix. Should be fun!

Comment

Enough talk about next year! Talk about the next game and how we get to the tourney!

Ok, EVERYONE SHOULD REDSHIIRT! No questions asked!

Comment

I see Pederson playing "pick-up" ball almost everytime I go to the Wellness Center to workout. He's the best player on the court.....which he should be.

The kid is working hard to improve his game. Hopefully all his hard work can translate onto the D1 basketball court.
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Dwight will see plenty of mins next year and might even get a scholly if Davis doesnt pan out so i hear. He has improved alot and he dominates in practice.

Comment

Both Selken and Pederson played at NAIA USF and couldn't get any playing time. They jumped right up to major DI. Another great move by our staff.

Comment

Both Selken and Pederson played at NAIA USF and couldn't get any playing time. They jumped right up to major DI. Another great move by our staff.
                Not true.

First of all, both were true freshman, playing on a somewhat deep team, a team coming off success. Selken played in 20 games, averaging 12 minutes a game. Pederson played in every game, made one start and averaged 15 minutes a game (averaged 6 ppg) .

And, neither player recieved a schollie. Both were brought in b/c they want to be here and to add depth at the end of the bench/practice. Pederson is 6'8 and his size could serve well in the future to steal a few minutes a game (though I hope we're bigger than we are this year in the future). Selken is a good point guard who can really play dee. I could see him handle a team down the road like Palarca did last night if an injury comes into play. Selken could actually be a guy who plays himself into some game minutes down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post

Kind of what i was thinking as well, but not every body develops in high school. Perhaps one or both are late developers. Pretty unlikely, but I neither has a scholarship for now. It's at least nice to have them around for practice and such.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I'm hoping Pederson has a game similiar to Ben Beran. We need a rugged rebounder!

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                      NEXT YEAR....

STARTERS:
                      G - Ga. Callahan (6'1 (SR) -hopefully improves even more
                      G - C. Sargent (6'4 JR) -primed to be leading scorer
                      F - K. Williams (6'6 SR) -hopefully his best year is his last
                      F - A. Cordova (6'7 JR) -solid big man, pleasant surprise
                      C - A Davis (6'10 JR) -just hope the guy is able to play

BENCH:
                      G/F - D. Moss (6'4 JR) -the way he's been playing lately he could start!
                      G - Gr. Callahan (6'4 (SO) -should be ready to be a nice bench player
                      G - M. Palarca ( 5'10 JR) -will Calahan and Moss cut into his minutes?
                      F - T. Fiegen (6'8 FR) -could really use his size if he's ready to play
                      C - M. Engen (6'10 SR) -five minutes a game?

OTHERS?
                      F - James Rader (6'7 rFR) -can he contribute?
                      G - B. Carlson (6'4 FR) -redshirt?
                      G - C. White (6'6 FR) -redshirt?
                      F - J. Cassaday (6'6 SO) -will Moss or others steals the few minutes he gets?
                      F - D. Pederson (6'8 SO) -see Rader
                      Personally, I feel if an incoming freshman is not going to get 15+ minutes a game next year they should be redshirted. I say White would be the most likely candidate to play as a true freshman, mainly because it is easier to go straight from high school to college playing his position and he is an extraordinary talent.

As far as Fiegen is concerned, I'd guess he will redshirt to get a full year of college weight training under his belt to better prepare him to be a D1 power forward, especially if Davis can play next year. Another factor on whether Fiegen redshirts is how Cassaday develops in the offseason. I was kinda down on Cassaday early in the season because he looked so terrible on offense and looked lost out on the court, but the last couple of games, in limited playing time, he has been one of our best rebounders. If he can make the kind of strides Cordova did offensively in this offseason, he could be a very valuable asset to the team.

Carlson will redshirt, as I believe I read it in an article that is what the coaching staff already has in plan for him.

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
                      Umm... It was not a "great"(yes, I am noting the sarcasm) move by the coaching staff, it was a "no-brainer." Local kids who had some high school success who are effort players, want to be here, and will do it without taking up a scholarship; what do you have to lose by picking them up?
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Does anybody have any information on Anthony Davis's injury?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          Does anybody have any information on Anthony Davis's injury?
                          Question was asked in Terry's live chat and he said there has been no new updates.
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

Latest I've heard (on the board here) on Davis is that they still don't know if he'll be able to play at all.

Based on that, I don't think it would be prudent to count on him contributing next year. If he can go, then you're that much stronger and deeper, but based on what we've heard all year about Davis, I think the coaches should be planning for his absence.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                              Not true.

First of all, both were true freshman, playing on a somewhat deep team, a team coming off success. Selken played in 20 games, averaging 12 minutes a game. Pederson played in every game, made one start and averaged 15 minutes a game (averaged 6 ppg) .

And, neither player recieved a schollie. Both were brought in b/c they want to be here and to add depth at the end of the bench/practice. Pederson is 6'8 and his size could serve well in the future to steal a few minutes a game (though I hope we're bigger than we are this year in the future). Selken is a good point guard who can really play dee. I could see him handle a team down the road like Palarca did last night if an injury comes into play. Selken could actually be a guy who plays himself into some game minutes down the road.
                              If Selken can indeed play D, then look for him to be getting playing time. Coach Nagy seems to value this ability and why should he not. Not to pick on any specific person on the current roster, but we have need for improvement in getting defensive stops. This is in my opinion, why close games are lost. No defensive stops and allowing offensive rebounds. Its taken its toll, and I think coach is very troubled about those two areas of performance.

I dont think Tivis would have gotten where he is in the program if he could not play defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X