Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cal Poly-Official Game Thread

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
    I think you are taking this debate a little to seriously and far.
    Huh?

First you chastise me for demanding a rigorous basis for assertions, then you chastise me for assuming that no basis for any assertion is required. Make up your mind.

I, for one, think that enough basketball talent comes from genetics, that a great player in any era would be great in any other era.

Take Bill Russell, for instance, I think he would've made Charles Barkley look like a ballet dancer in a tutu if he played in the 80s and 90s. Why? Because difference in strength is largely a matter of conditioning, and under the same conditioning schedule as anyone else, he'd be as much better than the competition as he was in the 60s. YMMV.

Comment

Cal Poly

Oh BTW, Zoo, I loved the MJ loves LP line, but you had a major flaw in the first step of your logic. Just because a team loses in the quarters in no way means it is a worse team than the champion from that year. That is what can happen to a team that suffers injuries, illness, or what do they call that other thing ... oh yeah, the any given day upset thing.

Cal Poly

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks
        It was about 20 year ago when I was in college, but if the first step of a logic deduction table is flawed...doesn't that mean that the results of that deduction are flawed as well?
        It's an arguable assumption. It's not demonstrably false.

However, the burden of proving that a team that loses in the quarters is at least as good as, if not better than, the team that wins the championship is incredibly steep.

Comment

George Washington

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Nagy did say that he THOUGHT his best teams from the DII era would have had 15-17 wins last year. I don't remember in what interview at what time but I am pretty sure I heard him say that.

Does it matter one bit? Hell no.
            Thank you for confirming that, thought I was losing my mind-- I've spent the last half hour trying to Google it but combining Nagy and numbers gets too many hits to work through.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              Huh?

First you chastise me for demanding a rigorous basis for assertions, then you chastise me for assuming that no basis for any assertion is required. Make up your mind.

I, for one, think that enough basketball talent comes from genetics, that a great player in any era would be great in any other era.

Take Bill Russell, for instance, I think he would've made Charles Barkley look like a ballet dancer in a tutu if he played in the 80s and 90s. Why? Because difference in strength is largely a matter of conditioning, and under the same conditioning schedule as anyone else, he'd be as much better than the competition as he was in the 60s. YMMV.

Zoo, while I don't disagree with your basic great players fit in any era observation, would you concede there are more great players today, if for no other reason than they come from all over the globe?
              Also, the Charles Barkley-Bill Russell comparison was interesting. Talk about your polar opposites. Barkley thought that defense was something others did while he passed time between shots. Russell thought offense was something the other guys did to embarass him, and he used every fiber of his being to make sure it didn't happen. Russell was a working man, Barkley a showman IMHO.

Comment

I cant believe we are still talking about a game we should have won by 20 pts, on the road.

Some people have made up their minds and nothing is going to turn them back so I dont know what else is to be said.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  Zoo, while I don't disagree with your basic great players fit in any era observation, would you concede there are more great players today, if for no other reason than they come from all over the globe?
                  Also have the question of opportunity. More teams today, mean less talent per team.....

Comment

Only if the increase in the number of teams is greater than the increase in talent due to world wide exposure

Comment

I like a good, warm apple pie ala mode. Anyone else?
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        I cant believe we are still talking about a game we should have won by 20 pts
                        Really???

Also: The argument left that subject 10-15 pages ago.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I think cherry pie would be better.

Comment

This thread is like watching a train wreck. So I will keep clicking the link when new posts come up even though I've got eleventy billion other things to do that are more important.

And I'm all about strawberry rhubarb pie.

Comment

Banana cream pie for me

Comment

how about just locking the thread

i don't like pie
                                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                                X