Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cal Poly-Official Game Thread

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
    I attended from 86 - 91 and there was one game I remember circa 89 when SDSU went to Michigan and played the eventual national champs. I believe the final was at least a 40 point margin and the players commented that Michigan players were essentially toying with them for most of the second half.

P.S. Congrats to Catchem for having 3 posts now in a thread he said he was going to stay away from. Those traffic accidents always suck you in!

The Michigan game sounds familiar. Good memory.

And yes, I got sucked in, but still have not made any comments directly related to the MBB team. So for that part I'm still holding to my promise to myself. Got caught rubbernecking though.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
      From my freshman year in 1991 to the transition I do not recall either the MBB or WBB teams playing a regular season game against a DI opponent. Prior to that I don't know if there were any.
      I believe the rule for D1 members currently in force limits the number of D2 and NAIA teams on a schedule. These games which most of us are aware are considered non-counters. I dont recall exactly when this rules were adopted by the NCAA, but before the rule, D2 members could and did schedule some D1 games. I believe the 1985 team played Kansas close. Also seems like in the early 1980's there were as many as 4 to 5 D1 schools on the schedule. These games were always away and early in the season. Also these games were a source of revenue. I think some where in the late 1980's, these rules for non counters were adopted and after that the market for D1 games dried up for D2 schools.

My recollection of the 1950's and 1960 games were that SDSU did on few occasions play a few close games with D1 teams, but never a win to their credit with the exception of USD win over Wisconsin in 1956-57, I believe. I don't think our 1963 team could have beat Loyola of Chicago, since they were the 1963 University NCAA Champions. D1 known as the Univeristy Division was much different. They had regions, but no RPI's and no mid majors or any of the current terminolgy. Also the CBS Big Dance TV contract did not exist nor were their big bucks for Loyola in 1963. This too, adds to the lack of comparability.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
        Well it is kind of silly to make that argument tonight and I think it is uncool to pick a fight with Kai's mom.
        I would say that it is really silly for a parent to get on here and ask us our prespective on the game. Do that in silence and just read what everyone has to say. Kai played good tonight. This conversation should not have even started, but since it did what do these numbers mean:

49 percent to 39 percent

37 percent to 27 percent

numbers do not lie!

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
          It's so easy to pick a fight and make nonsense statements behind a computer screen wonder how much any of you would have to say in person....to me...bring it....
          if you would like you can join us at half time of any game and talk about what we see we are right by the ice cream line talking abou the game!

See you there next year! We would love it!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
            Good times. Mueller changed his shorts on the bench in-front of 9,000 people. That was a great game and one of the loudest games I've ever been to. And you're right, I don't know why I thought of Quentin Richardson haha.
            His nickname I beleive was Q!

Comment

Actually, Jacks have played D-1 teams many times, maybe some before there was a D-1. And the record, as you would expect, is not that great. According to media guide:

- lost to UCLA in 1959 (was John Wooden coaching then?)
              - lost to colorado in 1946 and 1947
              - 4-1 all-time against Cornell of the Ivy League
              - 3-20 all time against Creighton
              - 1-1 all time against DePaul, playing them in 1930 and 1968
              - lost to Florida State in 1957
              - 1-6 all time against Iowa, having last played them in '62 (However, Jacks owned Iowa Pre-Flight in the 1940s)
              - 1-5 all time against Iowa State with this season's victory
              - 0-3 all-time against Kansas State
              - 0-2 all time against Kansas, last playing them in '85
              - 0-12 all time against Minnesota, counting this season. Time to break that string.
              - lost to Memphis State in '71
              - 0-2 against Texas Tech, last having played in 1972
              - lost to Utah in 1963
              - Lost to Michigan in 1958 and 1989

However, you'll be happy to note Jacks of early 20th Century were undefeated against Spearfish, Arlington, Deadwood, Redfield (beat Redfield three times in '07-'08 season). Took out Belle Fourche twice in 1922.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                No way, and how do you approve your assertion other than to say its so? The whole point of my post was that even the high points of the NCC history do not I repeat do not match the current talent of the Summit. If this was true, then why are there no more than 2 national champs and both were a long time ago. How many years since 1958? 51? 1963? 46. So how could the best in the NCC compete in the Summit?
                I remember SDSU playing in the D2 regionals against SE Missouri (in the eighties, know I should check but I'm too lazy). The comment in the St. Louis Post Dispatch was that the Jackrabbits, despite their name were woefully slow-- read between the lines, probably a bunch of slow footed Norwegian farm boys. Thank god, South Dakota is less openly racist and less pure white Norwegian goodness than it was when I went there in the sixties. Bout time-- bring on the diversity-- shows the state is gaining vitality.

However, I think of the NCC as being a bit-too whitebread to be one of the better D2 conferences--football, yes-- not basketball. The MIAA game I fleetingly watched yesterday looked a lot faster than I remember the NCC being. North Dakota State proves such teams can win up to a point, but something tells me that they'll have a bit o'trouble if they draw a three or four seed in the NCAA's.

It's a lightning fast urban game, much more than I remember at least. The other thing to remember in looking back at the good (really) old days was that most of the teams we now consider as mid-majors were NCAA College Division teams. Most of the teams in the Valley: (Southwest) Missouri State, Evansville, Northern Iowa (SCI), Southern Illinois were not considered major colleges at all. They simply moved up a lot quicker than SDSU did. I think SEMO was another laggard, but they certainly jumped to the OVC long before the Jackrabbits.
                Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 02-22-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Despite what people want to think, the NCC has never been an elite MBB conference. When was the last time an NCC men's team made the Elite 8? I honestly don't know. I think USD made it in the early to mid 90s.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                    Despite what people want to think, the NCC has never been an elite MBB conference. When was the last time an NCC men's team made the Elite 8? I honestly don't know. I think USD made it in the early to mid 90s.
                    It wasn't so much about the teams in the NCC making it to the Elite 8, it was the fact that they were some of the toughest teams to beat. Every year there were 3-5 teams who were all very good. There were always at least 2-3 teams in the regional tourney from the NCC. I would consider that an elite MBB conference.

As for comparing past teams and current teams, you just can't do it. Different styles of play, divisions, changes to the game (ex. 3 point line). You can compare players if they remind you of how someone used to play. I just don't follow the 'greatest of all time' comparisons people make when talking about NBA players, MLB players, and NFL players. SDSU did play Michigan in 1989, the year Michigan won the NCAA title. The game was actually close at halftime, but Michigan came out the second half. At first I thought the year we played Michigan was when Meister, Wallace, and Norberg played but I changed my mind. Dick Vitale actually discussed that team on ESPN one night (during that year). Made me snap my head when he talked about Meister and Wallace from North Dakota State. WHAT!!!!!! That is what made me snap my head to the TV so fast.

Boy, someone bringing up Q's name. Damn, he was so much fun to watch. He could pick any point guard when he wanted. I used to laugh at his little head shake towards his opponent.
                    Last edited by bub94; 02-23-2009, 07:29 AM.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

FirstRowFANatic:

Here's your proof-
                      Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                      Kennesaw State - 2004 D-II National Champion is 7-17 with a RPI of 337. They are 1-11 on the road. '04 was our last year in D-II and the NCC.
                      Kennesaw State went D-1 in 2005/06
                      2006: 249
                      2007: 277
                      2008: 322

Note that Kennesaw State:

1) Won a championship in D-2 (no 90s era NCC team did that)
                      2) Had a middling RPI vs. Summit teams in 2006
                      3) Has gone down hill every year since.

Now granted, this does not -=prove=- that "Top tier NCC teams in the 90s couldn't compete in the Summit League", however, it shows what kind of threshold of D-2 achievement would be necessary to compete with lower tier Summit League teams in 2006. It's a short leap of logic to conclude that a conference that sent only one team to the elite 8 (SDSU, 1997) in the 90s would have struggled in the Summit.

Granted, it IS a leap of logic, but without any head-to-head competitions, we're left with inferences, and none of the inferences support the assertion.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                        It wasn't so much about the teams in the NCC making it to the Elite 8, it was the fact that they were some of the toughest teams to beat. Every year there were 3-5 teams who were all very good. There were always at least 2-3 teams in the regional tourney from the NCC. I would consider that an elite MBB conference.

As for comparing past teams and current teams, you just can't do it. Different styles of play, divisions, changes to the game (ex. 3 point line). You can compare players if they remind you of how someone used to play. I just don't follow the 'greatest of all time' comparisons people make when talking about NBA players, MLB players, and NFL players.

Boy, someone bringing up Q's name. Damn, he was so much fun to watch. He could pick any point guard when he wanted. I used to laugh at his little head shake towards his opponent.
                        I'll give you that the NCC had parity. There were no easy road or home games in the NCC (besides Morningside ). But the NCC lacked the Elite teams.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          Actually, Jacks have played D-1 teams many times, maybe some before there was a D-1. And the record, as you would expect, is not that great. According to media guide:

- lost to UCLA in 1959 (was John Wooden coaching then?)
                          - lost to colorado in 1946 and 1947
                          - 4-1 all-time against Cornell of the Ivy League
                          - 3-20 all time against Creighton
                          - 1-1 all time against DePaul, playing them in 1930 and 1968
                          - lost to Florida State in 1957
                          - 1-6 all time against Iowa, having last played them in '62 (However, Jacks owned Iowa Pre-Flight in the 1940s)
                          - 1-5 all time against Iowa State with this season's victory
                          - 0-3 all-time against Kansas State
                          - 0-2 all time against Kansas, last playing them in '85
                          - 0-12 all time against Minnesota, counting this season. Time to break that string.
                          - lost to Memphis State in '71
                          - 0-2 against Texas Tech, last having played in 1972
                          - lost to Utah in 1963
                          - Lost to Michigan in 1958 and 1989

However, you'll be happy to note Jacks of early 20th Century were undefeated against Spearfish, Arlington, Deadwood, Redfield (beat Redfield three times in '07-'08 season). Took out Belle Fourche twice in 1922.
                          NoVaJack:

Your analysis above is very correct in stating that SDSU does not have an impressive all time record against D1 schools.

The UCLA game you cited about in 1959 was actually against Los Angles State and it was a first round game in the College Division elite eight, as the media guide states that the game was played in Evansville Indiana. Thats were the tournament was played in those days. Los Angles State is now known as Cal State Los Angles and still is D2. I vaguely remember this game as we got beat rather soundly and the coach was a different kind of guy who love experiment with odd stuff such as built up soles on shoes in order to gain a height advantage. I dont recall his name. Unfortunately, Cal State U- Los Angles offical site does not have a media guide to download.

The Cornell mentioned probably is the Cornell College of Iowa that was and may still be in what is called the Midwest League. This Cornell is located in eastern Iowa, not sure of the town, but the Midwest conference used to compete in the College Division, but after 1973, they chose to go D3 and not offer scholarships. That conference was pretty decent and included Coe, Knox and Carthage. All very prestiguious private schools. Until USD played Cornell this year, I dont think any SD school has played the Ivy League Cornell located in New York.

In scanning through the SDSU media guide we lost to Mo Iba's Oklahoma State by seven pts in 1968. I belive Jim Marking liked to talk about that game and how close they got to beating a coaching legend. Mo is a legend. Also we played Wyoming and got clobbered. The record at least in my opinion supports that we are probably playing at our highest level in terms of competition with the Summit League and the past does not indicate that we were anything near a giant killer. There has always been a gulf between what we know now as D2 and D1 and its growing not shrinking. I don't think there are any weak members in the Summit League. The SL plays better defense than was played in the NCC and the offense and quickness does not compare with the NCC. Grizzled Jack is correct, the NCC did not have a great deal of quickness.

Comment

Anyway, What you see with NDSU is an example of how tough it is to 'break into' MBB: NDSU has the most talented team that they have EVER had, and are looking for a #13 seed, maybe-------MAYBE a #12, depending on how the conference tournaments go in the Summit's peer group.[/QUOTE]

Are you high? I'm not saying that NDSU hasn't had a good transition, but they are in no ways what I'd consider a 13 seed. A team that's biggest win is over UW-Milwaulke is not in position to get much higher then a 14 seed if they are luckey.... You have to look at some of there losses... Idaho, Steven F. Austin, They were took into OT by UMKC and SDSU, they lost to SUU at home. there quality losses would be Minnesota by about the same margin that we lost to them, and USC who they lost to by 4.... I'm not saying they are bad but the only reason they have a good record is because they are cleaing up in the conference and the reason they are doing that is because they have 4 5 year seniors...

Here is my question, does anybody think that if NDSU doesn't win the conference tournament that they will get in? ORU I think has a chance if they don't because of how strong of schedule they play but I don't see NDSU getting in unless they win the conference tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              I don't see NDSU getting in unless they win the conference tournament.
                              What I wrote:
                              how the conference tournaments go in the Summit's peer group.
                              This does not refer to the Summit League tournament.

This refers to upsets in conferences that are in the Summit's general neighborhood (MAC, Sun Belt, Southland, Ohio Valley, America East, etc.)

If conference champs from these conferences are their tournament's respective #2/3 seeds, it puts NDSU in a position to move up simply because there are more AQs with worse records.

Bear in mind that only 12 of 31 conferences have first place teams that are currently good enough to enter as at-larges. That means that the other 19 AQ conferences are going to fill out spaces 46-65 or, give or take, the #12-16 seeds in each bracket.

Thus, if there are a few upsets in conferences better than the Summit, NDSU could =MAYBE= get a 12 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                Anyway, What you see with NDSU is an example of how tough it is to 'break into' MBB: NDSU has the most talented team that they have EVER had, and are looking for a #13 seed, maybe-------MAYBE a #12, depending on how the conference tournaments go in the Summit's peer group.
                                Are you high? I'm not saying that NDSU hasn't had a good transition, but they are in no ways what I'd consider a 13 seed. A team that's biggest win is over UW-Milwaulke is not in position to get much higher then a 14 seed if they are luckey.... You have to look at some of there losses... Idaho, Steven F. Austin, They were took into OT by UMKC and SDSU, they lost to SUU at home. there quality losses would be Minnesota by about the same margin that we lost to them, and USC who they lost to by 4.... I'm not saying they are bad but the only reason they have a good record is because they are cleaing up in the conference and the reason they are doing that is because they have 4 5 year seniors...

Here is my question, does anybody think that if NDSU doesn't win the conference tournament that they will get in? ORU I think has a chance if they don't because of how strong of schedule they play but I don't see NDSU getting in unless they win the conference tournament.
                                SFA has an RPI rating of 106 and beat NDSU by 1 point in three overtimes. Idaho has an RPI of about 136 and has 3 top 100 wins, they beat NDSU by 8 at home. NDSU has one bad loss to SUU and that is about it.

No team from the Summit has a chance of getting an at large, last year IUPUI had 23-7 record, an RPI in the 70s, and didn't even get into the NIT.

Comment

Working...
                                X