Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cal Poly-Official Game Thread

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
    No one ever said that the old NCC was better than the Summit or any other D1 conference. What was said was that that the upper tier NCC teams could compete with teams in the Summit.
    No way, and how do you approve your assertion other than to say its so? The whole point of my post was that even the high points of the NCC history do not I repeat do not match the current talent of the Summit. If this was true, then why are there no more than 2 national champs and both were a long time ago. How many years since 1958? 51? 1963? 46. So how could the best in the NCC compete in the Summit?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      No way, and how do you approve your assertion other than to say its so? The whole point of my post was that even the high points of the NCC history do not I repeat do not match the current talent of the Summit. If this was true, then why are there no more than 2 national champs and both were a long time ago. How many years since 1958? 51? 1963? 46. So how could the best in the NCC compete in the Summit?

So you need to win the D2 Championship in order to compete in the Summitt?

Comment

Neither side can "prove" their assertion because teams of old can not play teams of today. It is all just opinion.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
          Neither side can "prove" their assertion because teams of old can not play teams of today. It is all just opinion.
          Simply not true. A few years back ESPN had the Cowboys of the nineties play the Niners of the eighties. Also involved were the Steelers of the seventies and the Packers of the sixties. It was a tournament type thing and it proved who the best team of all time was. I can't remember who won, but it left no doubt about who the best team of all time was.

So, all we have to do is have ESPN simulate the Summitt League season with the Jacks of 1963 or the Jacks of the early 2000's. This would tell us exactly who is the best and if it is actually true that the NCC teams could compete in the Summitt.

Comment

Doh! How could have I forgotten.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Simply not true. A few years back ESPN had the Cowboys of the nineties play the Niners of the eighties. Also involved were the Steelers of the seventies and the Packers of the sixties. It was a tournament type thing and it proved who the best team of all time was. I can't remember who won, but it left no doubt about who the best team of all time was.

So, all we have to do is have ESPN simulate the Summitt League season with the Jacks of 1963 or the Jacks of the early 2000's. This would tell us exactly who is the best and if it is actually true that the NCC teams could compete in the Summitt.
              Exactly, just like how ESPN accurately predicted Rocky Balboa would defeat Mason "The Line" Dixon.

This process could settle a lot of arguments about how SDSU is superior to USD as well. Lets get this thing going!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                Good times. Mueller changed his shorts on the bench in-front of 9,000 people. That was a great game and one of the loudest games I've ever been to. And you're right, I don't know why I thought of Quentin Richardson haha.
                You were on the right track. Marquise went by "Q" while he was here....and yes, I too think he was the best on-the-ball defender I've ever seen in a Jacks uniform.

I think it's safe to say that this thread has completely blown up. As low as things look right now, we've seen what this team can do with home cookin' and I think (...hope) Sioux Falls could be just what the guys need!
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
                  So you need to win the D2 Championship in order to compete in the Summitt?
                  No not necessarily, it just indicates that the NCC was not as good in D2 as we thought it was. If we tell ourselves untruths over and over through the methods of puffing, they can become truth in some peoples minds. Puffing for your information is a selling technique used in the sale of new and used cars.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
                    Hey Zooropa, you completely misquoted me. I didn't say the "NCC schools in their heyday were better than the Summitt." I said that the upper tier NCC schools in their heyday couuld compete in the Summit. There is a big difference from what I said, and from what you said I said. Please use the quote button so you don't misquote me again.
                    The reason why I used double quotes (probably should've used singles) is because I wasn't directly referencing YOUR exact words, rather an opinion that I've seen and heard all too often. The opinion that there is a narrow gap between D-1 & D-2 basketball.

Frankly, the statistics posted showing the struggles of D-2 powerhouses (schools that could've handily cleaned the clock of any NCC school during the 90s and 00s) in D-1 IMO establishes the point beyond question.

One cannot stare at the facts of the matter (struggles of D-2 championship programs at D-1) and support any variety of the "NCC schools would 'compete' in the Summit" opinion on any basis more substantial than wishful thinking.

----

Now that we're D-1, it's interesting to me to see the revival of the "Real D-1 schools are....." opinion. You remember, don't you? Back before the move, it was said, "SDSU can't compete with (insert BCS school here)." Now the mirror opposite is being used--any team SDSU beats is being relegated to "no better than D-2".

This is, basically, proof that you can't win with some people--that confirmatin bias is something some people are happily unaware of, and so on and so forth.

Comment

I assume we played some D1 teams from time to time when we were D2. What kind of record did we have in those games?
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        I assume we played some D1 teams from time to time when we were D2. What kind of record did we have in those games?
                        I went to school from 1997 to 2002 and I can't think of any that the men played during that time. I think the women's team may have had a couple exhibition games and if I remember correctly they lost.

Comment

Zooropa,
                          Actually the only fact does not support your arguments. Teams change from year to year so saying that because current teams don't have success means past teams would not have fared better is only an opinion. Neither side can prove their opinion unless they have the power of ESPN at their disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            Zooropa,
                            Actually the only fact does not support your arguments. Teams change from year to year so saying that because current teams don't have success means past teams would not have fared better is only an opinion. Neither side can prove their opinion unless they have the power of ESPN at their disposal.

This string has reminided me of the stories of oldtimers walking uphill to school and then, darn it, uphill back home each day. Through 11 feet of snow and 14 miles one way. Sharing boots. In other words, they just don't make kids like they used to, and things were just better and tougher back then!!
                            IMHO the game on all levels is so advanced over what it was 30 years ago, on all levels, that it's folly to compare eras. In the '70s, kids didn't play basketball year-round, and chances are in the '70s a 6-5 kid reported for bb practice directly from the football field and was automatically told to play with his back to the basket. Today, he's a point guard. A one-sport point guard.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              From my freshman year in 1991 to the transition I do not recall either the MBB or WBB teams playing a regular season game against a DI opponent. Prior to that I don't know if there were any.
                              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I attended from 86 - 91 and there was one game I remember circa 89 when SDSU went to Michigan and played the eventual national champs. I believe the final was at least a 40 point margin and the players commented that Michigan players were essentially toying with them for most of the second half.

P.S. Congrats to Catchem for having 3 posts now in a thread he said he was going to stay away from. Those traffic accidents always suck you in!
                                Last edited by EQguy; 02-22-2009, 09:24 PM. Reason: P.S.
                                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                                X