Players To Watch At Boys Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players To Watch At Boys Tournaments

If you are planning on attending a boys state tournament next weekend here is a breakdown of some atheltes to watch:

Class B
    Jordan King – Arlington– Senior 1/2 combo guard who is a great leader on the floor.  He is a four year varsity starter and has big game experience.  He’s fun to watch and has the ability to light it up from the outside or distribute to team members to get them all involved.  He’ll be the best passer in the tournament.  King is heading to NSU next year.
    Mitch Boeck – Arlington – Senior wing is an explosive athletic basketball player who had an outstanding Class A tournament in 2005.  He shined in the 2005 football championship game and expect that he’ll be one to watch next weekend in Aberdeen.  Boeck is one of the more underrated talents in the state but still needs mentioned when talking about the top kids in the senior class.  He’ll carry the load for the Cardinals and lead them to the championship game.  Boeck, like King will attend NSU next year.
    Coulter Boyer – Hurley – Junior post player is built like a brick you know what and is more of a football player but gets a ton done on the basketball court.  He’s strong and athletic and will create several match up problems for opponents.  He had an outstanding season.
    Heath Hult – Hurley – Sophomore is one of the top sophs in the state.  The state tournament could launch him into a premier player and a bigger name.  He poured in 29 in the Region Championship game against Dells St. Mary’s and is a very athletic inside/outside player.  
    Danny Fathke – Avon – Senior guard is athletic and quick. He’s versatile and likes to take it strong to the hoop.  Will create match up problems due to his speed and could help lead Avon to some upsets.
    Jesse Hajak – Avon – Senior guard transferred to Avon this year and paid off in a state tournament appearance.  He’s a bulldog and the floor general.  Has the ability to handle the ball and shoot well from the outside.
    Matt Dykstra – Avon – Exciting, talented young freshman who has many good years ahead of him.  He’s stuck in the post for Avon out of necessity but looks to be a wing type player.   Very athletic and looks and has mannerisms similar to Denver TenBroek but for now that is the only similarity.
    Louie Krogman – White River – Sophomore consider the top basketball player in the soph class due to absurb amount of points scored.  He does it all for White River and is on a mission to prove that he’s as good as advertised.  He’s worth the price of admission most nights and will only get better.
    Luke Enos – Faith – Junior post/wing is one of the top juniors in the state.  Needs to expand his game for the next level but is regulated primarily to the post for Faith.  He is the key to Faith’s success if they expect to play at night and not the sunshine bracket.
    Steve Bloch – Scottland – Junior wing is similar style player to Boyer but not as big.  Had a great season for Scottland and will be expected to play well next weekend for them to succeed.

Expect Arlington to dominate the tournament but could be challenged by Avon in the 2nd round or Scottland in the finals.

Re: Players To Watch At Boys Tournaments

Class A
    Zach Finley – St. Thomas More – Senior post player is athletic, powerful and talented. He’s the best big man the state has to offer and will attend Princeton next season. He’s carried the team at times this season and is primed for a huge state tournament after disappointing last year during the tournament. This is not the same kid who many saw last year and might be the best in the state right now.
    Kyle Doerr – St. Thomas More – Junior wing/post is talented when he plays hard and average when he doesn’t show up. Has the talent to be a load inside and has done so at times this year. Needs to be consistence and play well to help the team win it all.
    Casey Grimsrud – Sisseton – Senior wing/post has had a good career at Sisseton. They surprised many in the Districts and Regionals but are rewarded by playing STM first round. Doubtful that they will win their first game but could beat some teams along the way. Still Grimsrud has some talent.
    Matt Malloy – Parkston – Junior is a gutsy bulldog type point guard who might be the best point guard in the tournament. He wills his team to win and had an outstanding season. He’s one of the best pt. guards in the state and many will see that on display next weekend.
    Jared Vlastuin – Lennox – Sophomore Wing/post is athletic and talented member of squad. Overshadowed at times by balanced upperclassmen but seems to be the best collegiate prospect on the team. Needs to develop more outside abilities to play at a higher level (other than NAIA) in college.
    Cedric Seefeldt – Clark – Senior wing for Clark has the ability to light it up from the perimeter. Has had a good career for Clark and is focused on winning it all.
    Zach Seefeldt – Clark - Senior post is undersized for a post but gets a lot done inside. He’ll find the going tough at times as he faces bigger post players but if Clark can get the transition game going it won’t matter.
    Taylor Jacobson – Clark – Senior is a very good versatile basketball player and possibly the best overall athlete on the team. Is over shadowed at times by others on the team but seems to be the most complete athlete Clark has to offer.
    Bryce Kreutzfeldt – Chester – Senior guard is the heart and sole of team. He should be a first team all state selection in Class A and will display next weekend why Chester made the state tournament. Versatile athlete who can score from anywhere on the floor.

It’s St. Thomas More tournament to win or loose. Clark will challenge but by the third day will be hard pressed to pull off the upset.

Comment

Class AA
      Michael Tveidt – Pierre – Senior wing has been considered the top player in the state despite having an injury filled season. Bad ankles have kept him out of many games but if healthy will help Pierre press for the title. He’s athletic, quick and can score from inside or outside.
      Sam Willard – Pierre – Junior wing had an outstanding season and is possibly the best junior in the state. He’ll get looks from the DI level as he’s 6’8” and versatile. Next year will be different without Tveidt at his side but Willard is damn good.
      TJ McCaulley – Pierre – Senior guard has been brilliant at times this season and not so good at other times. Needs to be consistent for Pierre to have success next weekend. He’s not as good as his brother but still is a very good point guard.
      Dale Moss – Brandon Valley – Junior guard has had an outstanding season and should be a first team all state selection. Athletic and quick will create match up problems for many opponents.
      Derek DeZeeuw – Brandon Valley – Junior post is talented and needs to improve on strength and perimeter skills to be a factor at the next level. He’s athletic and has had a steady season.
      Chris Schwartz – SF Lincoln – Junior wing has had a solid season and has the capability of scoring a ton of points. Undisciplined at times, as is the entire team, but still capable of playing well.
      Nathan Truex – SF O’Gorman – Junior post has shinned for Knights all year long and given them a strong post presence. He’s only going to get better and should have an outstanding tournament.
      Dusty Coleman – SF O’Gorman – Senior guard competes his butt off each game and refuses to lose. He has big game experience and may be the states best all around HS athlete.
      Tyler Schulte – SF O’Gorman – Senior guard is athletic and amazing at times. He’s quick and is the leader of the team. Guard play will be critical for teams success and he is capable of carrying the load.
      Josh Pieper – Watertown – Junior post has had a good season. He’s a load inside and plays extremely physical game.
      Josh Hanson – Watertown – Sophomore point guard is leader of team. He’s done a nice job of controlling the offense and is as good as any guard in the tournament.
      AJ Butt – RC Stevens – Junior Post is athletic but a bit undersized for the post position. He is the leader of the team and needs some perimeter skills for the collegiate level.
      Chad Oetken – RC Stevens – Junior wing is athletic and has a knack for the 3-pt shot. Can fill it up long range but at times is inconsistent. If he plays well the team could surprise some.

Pierre is scary talented but very inconsistent at times this year. If Tveidt and Willard get it going it could be a championship for the Govs. If not, expect Sioux Falls O’Gorman to win it all.

Comment

Great Info as always Cadsev, thanks for time and effort. BTW, what is up with Matt Martin out at UM. Didn't he start last season? I watched the Big Sky final last night and he didn't really play too much.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I'll be watching the Saturday AA games in Rapid. I wish Roosevelt and Cordova would have made so I could see him play. Looking forward to watching Pierre.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
            Great Info as always Cadsev, thanks for time and effort.  BTW, what is up with Matt Martin out at UM.  Didn't he start last season?  I watched the Big Sky final last night and he didn't really play too much.
            I watched it as well, didn't get to pay too much attention to it as I was chipping away at the honey-do list >

Comment

Cadsev, I have seen some spectacular highlights of Dale Moss from Brandon. What level do you think he might play and do you think the Jacks are looking at him?

Comment

Great Info as always Cadsev, thanks for time and effort.  BTW, what is up with Matt Martin out at UM.  Didn't he start last season?  I watched the Big Sky final last night and he didn't really play too much.

## Player                          GP-GS  Min--Avg  FG-FGA   Pct 3FG-FGA   Pct  FT-FTA   Pct  Off Def  Tot  Avg  PF FO   A  TO Blk Stl  Pts  Avg

22 Martin, Matt....... 29-14  562 19.4  68-165  .412  41-114  .360  18-26   .692    9  34   43  1.5  34  0  70  42   1  21  195  6.7
                    Conference-Only.. 14-2   206 14.7  22-59   .373  13-41   .317   4-6    .667    5  16   21  1.5  17  0  32  16   1   8   61  4.4
                Looks like he's getting about 20 minutes a game.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                  Cadsev, I have seen some spectacular highlights of Dale Moss from Brandon. What level do you think he might play and do you think the Jacks are looking at him?
                  Nagy is intrigued by him and I think he might be on the radar screen as he's athletic. Not sure if he can play at that level but at worst most likely could play DII.

Comment

Major issue that many overlook, Matt was not recruited by the current head coach so therefore he is not "one of his guys". They brought in a freshman pt. guard this season and I think that Marty and the head coach have butted heads. I've conversed with an assistant out there and he hinted at some issues but did not eloborate.

Comment

Semi-off-topic, but SDPTV is webcasting the girls AA tournament from Frost Arena.

I like the main camera placement--nice and high.

On the webcast, Frost looks like a D-I arena which, of course, it is.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                        Semi-off-topic, but SDPTV is webcasting the girls AA tournament from Frost Arena.

Hey filbert, can you post the link.

Comment

RLIV posted it over in the "Girls AA" thread:

http://sports.sdpb.org/girls/basketball/aa/video.htm
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

Picture of Frost in the back of this issue of the State magazine is awesome.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Has anyone heard who will be making up the Dakota Schoolers rosters in 2006?

Comment

Working...
                              X