Looking ahead to 2006/2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking ahead to 2006/2007

Well it's been a long season and we can start looking forward to next year. No graduating seniors so everyone back. We add the four redshirt freshman who will give us depth at all positions. Biggest asset is getting Holdren back healthy. Biggest question is what will happen to Berte and Gilbert. If they are cleared of all charges will they want to return? If they don't come back I'm assuming we have two scholarships to give. Nagy indicated in the post game show they will hit the recruiting trail hard immediately. We are in a difficult position not knowing status of Berte and Gilbert and if we need to find two more players for this year. I would assume unless Bassett and Cordova absolutley dominate next fall they will be redshirted. I assume Nagy and Larson will continue to look for shooters and versatle athletic forwards. I'm anxious to see what Hornby can bring to the point guard position. We clearly have a stud in Cadwell at the shooting guard position. I hope Engren and Bilitz continue to add weight and muscle in the off season and give us the inside game we have been lacking for a while. Ben Beran returned to form in the last half of the year and will have some help next year.

Re: Looking ahead to 2006/2007

We will be a much deeper team next year, even without Andre and Mo. We'll be that much better if they can return. Andre had the raw athletic ability, and Mo was an absolute force at times rebounding.

Still, if you project a starting two-deep of:
    Hornby - Frias/Casey
    Cadwell - Heien/Kleinjan
    Holdren - Yackley (Gilbert-wildcard)
    Beran/Loney - Loney/Beran
    Engen/Bilitz - Bilitz/Engen (Berte-wildcard)

Lots of question marks at the 1 and the 5, but very solid at the 2-3-4 positions. If one of they guys emerges as a true ball-handler at the point, and one of the big guys shows D-I ability at the center, we'll be all right next year.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Definitley will be better with a full roster of scholarship players. Also, I hope our two redshirt big guys can add some weight and allow Beran and Loney to stay fresh and out of foul trouble next year. I cannot wait to see how our schedule will turnout. From the way Nagy has talked so far, the schedule will not be quite as tough. It certainly would be nice to see a winning season after the last two. The immediate needs seem to be an athletic wing, especially now knowing what will happen to Gilbert. Things should definitley be looking up for next year. Can't wait to see the 06-07 version of the Rabbits.

Comment

Considering the inexperience, injuries, off-court issues, bringing in football players, and incredibly tough schedule we faced, it wasn't all that bad a season. 9 wins seems like an abhorration in comparison to our D-II years, but this D-I transition is still a work in progress, and beating a very solid NDSU club at home is something we should really hang our hat on.

We won't be world beaters next year, face it, we probably won't EVER be world-beaters. But that doesn't mean we won't become a force to be reckoned with and it's only a matter of time before we duplicate NDSU's feat of beating a name opponent.

If I had to make an off-the-cuff prediction, I'd say we'll win between 12-15 games next year. Not a colossal improvement, but .500 ball is a reasonable goal to shoot for and there's no reason why we can't reach, if not exceed, that goal.

Comment

Originally posted by fezzador
          . . .
          We won't be world beaters next year, face it, we probably won't EVER be world-beaters. . . .
          Gonzaga.

Bucknell.

Northern Iowa.

George Washington.

Missouri State.

George Mason.

UNC-Wilmington.

Hofstra.

All of these teams are currently in the top 64 according to Sagarin. None are in "major" conferences (although you could have a lively debate about the Missouri Valley Conference).

The only reason we're not there is we haven't had enough time in D-I yet. South Dakota State will be a team the that big boys will not be eager to play. Write it down. From adversity comes surrender, or strength. I don't think we'll surrender. Do you?

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Nagy won't let the boys surrender struggles build character and character come from struggles. judging by this year a lot of character is to be built.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
              Nagy won't let the boys surrender struggles build character and character come from struggles. judging by this year a lot of character is to be built.
              BOO-YAH!

(or HOOAH, or whatever your favorite military branch's variant is).

Let's go take that hill, Sergeant!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by fezzador
                Considering the inexperience, injuries, off-court issues, bringing in football players, and incredibly tough schedule we faced, it wasn't all that bad a season.  9 wins seems like an abhorration in comparison to our D-II years, but this D-I transition is still a work in progress, and beating a very solid NDSU club at home is something we should really hang our hat on.
                10 wins was realistic, it could have been 14. Getting 9 after the injuries, troubles, and some underachievement early in the season is an accomplishment.

Why not look forward to next year? I sure hope to make it to nearly all the home games.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

For this thread's sake, we'll assume nothing will come of the charges against Gilbert and Berte. If that happens, I still don't see Gilbert staying at SDSU. Berte's down to one year of eligibility, so I don't see him going anywhere. However, I don't see Gilbert wanting to stay around with this mess over his head for another 3 years. Maybe I'm wrong.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I don't know anymore than anyone else on this board in terms of the Berte and Gilbert situation, but just have a feeling nothing will come of these charges. If that is the case I would sure hope the young men would finish their careers at SDSU, but understand if they didn't feel comfortable doing that.

Comment

The SDSU coaching staff invested recruiting effort and a valuable scholarship in Gilbert. Gilbert, in turn, invested his redshirt year and his first year of eligibility at SDSU. Assuming nothing comes of the allegation against him, I hope he returns to the team, and that he is welcomed back. Gilbert is very talented and his most productive years are yet to come. Berte would be a valuable contributor next year, too, as a senior. With both of them, Holdren, this year's redshirts and recruits, and everyone else back, 14 or 15 victories would not be unrealistic.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

The schedule will play a big role in that. Anyone have any clues on what that might look like? I know we have the UBC so that will help alot in the spring. Are they thinking an end of the year tournament for the UBC? Would allow them to play into this week.

Comment

Looking towards next year, does anybody have an honest appraisal of the redshirt freshman and what we can expect from them. How have they played in practice, what do their teamates/coaches think, etc. I know you really can't judge someone until they are thrown into the fire, but is their any info out there. I will be real interested to see Hornby and Engen as they seem like the most athletic from the little pieces i have put together.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Good questions that maybe someone closer to the program can answer.

Comment

I agree that it would be nice to see a post-season assessment of the redshirts. Midway through the season, Coach Nagy said Hornby was probably the best shooter on the team. He also indicated that one of the two big guys (can't remember which one) had the potential to be good center. He also said Yackley has potential because he plays with no fear.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                              X