Potential SD Athlete Recruits for SDSU Men's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential SD Athlete Recruits for SDSU Men's

Here is a potential of South Dakota athletes who will be on SDSU's radar the next couple of years.  Obviously the younger the athlete the harder it is to predict growth and ability however based on current abililty these kids have a shot at the DI level:

Class of 2007
    Sam Willard (Pierre) 6'8" Wing/Post - Top recruit in 07 class, potentialy better than Tveidt.
    Adam Peterka (Miller) 5'10" Pt. Guard - Only question is, does SDSU need a pt. guard from this class?  If so Peterka is the best available and capable of playing at this level.
    Luke Enos (Faith) 6'7" Wing - Still has room for improvement but if he can develop into a three he's strong, big and athletic enough to play for SDSU.  As a four he's too undersized for the level of play.

Others:
    Derek DeZeeuw (Brandon Valley) 6'7" Wing/Post - Needs to be steadier and get tougher to compete at this level.  Also needs to continue to develop as a wing instead of a post.

Class of 2008
    This class isn't very deep in talent and doesn't offer too much potential for SDSU
    Louie Krogman (White River) 5'11" 2 Guard - Has the biggest name in the class and will put up huge numbers at White River.  He's been offered by SDSU but most likely won't commit any time soon.
    Colton Iverson (Yankton) 6'8" Post - Has gotten better ever game and continues to show great improvement.  Potentially could be a Mid to High Major DI prospect as he's going to be well over 6'10" when finished growing.
    Heath Hult (Marion) 6'6" Wing - One of the most athletic and skilled players (for his size) in the class.  He's virtually an unknown athlete and one that will continue to get better over time.  

Others:
    Dan Schmidt (Brookings) 6'4" Wing - Has good athleticism but needs to develop a knock down jumper from 15 plus feet to play at this level.  Needs to prove he can play the 2 - 3 positions.
    Josh Hanson (Watertown) 6'0" Pt. Guard - Needs to continue to develop pt. guard skills.  Tough kid who will continue to get better over time.

Class of 2009
    This class is loaded with a ton of 6'4 - 6'6" kids who are long lean and athletic.  Here are some highlights:
    Chad White (Madison) 6'5" Wing - Athletic tough kid who plays hard.  Needs to develop an outside consistent shot.  Could be versitle player if he continues to develop.  Great passer
    Tony Fiegan (Madison) 6'5 - 6'6" Wing/Post - Will continue to grow and potentially could be a stud down the road.  Needs to add bulk and get tougher.  Has potential to be very good.
    Matt Dykstra (Avon) 6'5" Wing/Post - Has shown some ability to shoot the three but is used primarily as a post in school system.  If he can develop outside skills further could be a nice 3 prospect as he's got great athletic ability.
    Darren Deneui (Parker) 6'6" Post - Big kid who should get bigger.  Runs floor well and has great hands.  Looks a lot like Elkton's Eric Krogman

Class of 2010
    Best kids in this class live in Sioux Falls:
    Cody Larson (Roosevelt) 6'6" Guard/Wing:  Will be a  High Major recruit.  He's big, athletic and does it all on the floor.  Can shoot, handle and pass as well as any guard.  Height potential could be upwards to 6'8" or more.  Size 16 foot and long athletic build.  Son of former Beresford standout Keith Larson.
    Jared Bartling (Roosevelt) 6'7" Post - Used primarily as a post but has the ability to shoot from 15 feet.  This kid could grow a bit more but right now has size to play at SDSU level.  Needs to build lots of strenght.  
    Newton (Huron) 6'4" Wing/Post - Strong kid who is used primarily in the paint.  Needs to develop more all around game and loose his attitude.  He's young and has time but has a chance.

Class of 2011
    Horseman (Winner) 6'3" Wing/Post - Used inside due to size but has ability to play all over floor.  Is the best 7th grader in the state right now but that can change as kids get bigger more mature.  He needs to continue to develop all around game.
    Keaton Moffit (O'Gorman) 5'5" Pt Guard - Quick guard with great handles.  Fearless kid who relentlessly attacks opponents.  One of best potential guards in the younger ages groups in the state.

Re: Potential SD Athlete Recruits for SDSU Men's

Nice to think that SDSU has now given these high school athletes the option of playing at the highest collegiate level, while staying in the state.

It goes without saying that not all of them will be going to SDSU. But with luck, some of them will, and they'll make us all proud.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Thanks for the info Cadsev, now I know who to watch for at the high school level.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Caddie,

What does Krogman weigh and what height do you think he'll top out at?
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Not for sure on weight but he's about 6'0" right now.......can't see him getting much beyond 6'1". If I had to guess at the weight (and you won't see me working many carnivals) I'd say he's around 170 give or take 10 pounds.

Comment

Thanks for the great info Cadsev, nice to know who to keep an eye out for come state tourney time.

Comment

Isn't there a young Tetzlaff making his way through the ranks in Watertown? I believe he might be a Freshman?Cadsev, do you know the word on the kid...I heard our two favorite sports talk guys talking about him the other day with a radio guy from Watertown.

The kid must have some athletic ability passed down from Dad.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

When I went to High School in Clear Lake, the Tetzlafs kids were in middle school and elementary there. Mark ended up coaching boys the year after I graduated, but it only lasted one or two years. Anyways...... I remember reffing 5th and 6th grade basketball games when his son played. Back then he was WAY ahead of all of the other kids. Bigger, faster, and was one of the few kids who could dribble with both hands and not have to stare down at the ball.

Comment

Tetzlaf I believed moved in from Huron into the Watertown system. Hear that he's about 6'4" and having a good season for the Freshman or maybe soph team at Watertown. I don't believe that he's on the varsity. May be one to watch but at that size hopefully he's a wing because you can't play 4 or 5 at 6'4".

Comment

I think the Watertown radio guy was on their show last Monday. Cadsev pretty much covered it, I do remember hearing on the show that he started with the Freshman and had moved up to play with the Sophs and JV team. I hope he still has a growth spurt left. If he is anything like his dad, it would be great seeing him play at Frost.

Thanks again Cadsev for posting info on possible recruits.

Comment

The Mark Tetzlaff family was attending Deuel in Clear Lake, not Huron.

Comment

Yep my bad on that one. Found that out later after I posted that response. I'll try to be more accurate in the future

Comment

Kevin Tetzlaff lived on my floor in Young Hall and this guy was a heck of a football player (also helped the footballs BB team win a couple of titles). If he wouldn't have had problems with I believe his ankles, we would have been hearing about him from the NFL. Mean on the field but the friendliest person off the field.
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I believe with Tetz his problem was his knees. If I remember correctly he reinjured one pretty severely in either the Blue Grey Bowl or the Senior Bowl practices and that pretty much signaled the end of his football career.

Comment

I believe it's a real shot in the dark to project 7th and 8th graders as D1 prospects. There is probably just as good chance that they may not even continue playing ball all through high school. Many kids get burned out because of parental pressure to play 40-60 games a year as youths. In each recruiting class that the men or women sign, for every 5-6 that they bring on board, if you have 2-3 left by the time their senior season gets here, you most likely would call it a successful recruiting class. This is the case with D1 as well as D2.

Comment

Working...
                              X