NCAA D-I success stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA D-I success stories

Our friends over on the Bison board found a couple of success stories about teams moving up to D-I. They are good reads, and show you what is possible for our Jackrabbits! 8) Here are the links:

Belmont University:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...nt-cover_x.htm

Hampton University:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/loc...l=dp-sports-hu

Go State! ;D

Re: NCAA D-I success stories

From the USA Today story (does this sound at all familiar?)
    "Belmont kind of jumped off the cliff," Strickland says. "It was faith. We didn't have a league, and we didn't have but seven basketball players that first year."

With no league and no prospect of reaching the NCAA tournament as an independent, Strickland says, "What Division I player would want to play here?"
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

stay positive and patient and the jacks will be there someday.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit
        stay positive and patient and the jacks will be there someday.
        "Some day" can happen fast. We already have the right coach. It doesn't take a lot of players to turn a basketball team into something special. We have a good start (Holdren, Cadwell, etc.). Add a few more of the right players (Cordova?) with the right attitude and all of the sudden we could have a very special team, just in time to be Tournament-eligible in 2009.

Let's look at who we may have on the court at the end of the 2008-09 season:

Cadwell - Senior
        Loney - Senior
        Holdren - Senior
        Gilbert - Senior (if he returns)
        Hornby - Junior
        Yackley - Junior
        Engen - Junior
        Bilitz - Junior
        Bassett - Sophomore
        Cordova - Sophomore
        Plus three other scholarship guys (assuming Yackley stays a walkon).

I'd say that would be a pretty decent group of seniors for the 2008-09 year. Cadwell and Holdren have both proved they can play the D-I game, Loney always seems to get things done, and adding Gilbert to the mix would put that much more pressure on a defense. And that's just the seniors.

Two keys to success: a top-flight point guard, and continued support from the Jackrabbit Nation. I think we can handle the second one, and I trust Nagy to recruit and develop the former--Cadwell or Hornby may very well be that guy. We'll see.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This article isn't specifically about SDSU basketball but it talks in terms notoriety, financial windfall that the NCAA Men's Division I tournament brings, and a little South Dakota pride from our Montana friends.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/app...603180323/1006

I picked up from the UNC Bears message board.

I think everyone will find it interesting and that it will very similar for SDSU in the future.

We...ARE...STATE!
          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
          X