UMKC Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMKC Game Thread

Just got home from the game. I stood in the stands in utter disbelief at the end. I really did not see that coming at all to tell you the truth. Nagy's comment about defense is right on. We put no pressure on the ball, did not attempt to deny a passing lane or jump anything. I don't get that at all. It was my first game since graduating and this defense does not look like what I remember seeing out of the Jacks at all. I don't know what he has to do, but he was certainly extremely pissed off on more than one occasion about it.

It seems we have some quickness and could put on some serious ball pressure and deny some passing lanes, but maybe its a lack of effort on that end. One bright spot: their was a ton of effort on the offensive end from Clint and Garrett. They were great to watch. They attacked the hoop and played hard. There were some iffy quick shots as well from everyone as Nagy said, but for the most part those two are very impressive. As Nagy said, AC could be more aggressive on the defensive end. He does have some nice post moves and is fun to watch. We just had no defensive presence in the post tonight to stop some of their penetration. And by the way, Dale played about less than two minutes tonight I think. He never had any impact before he got hurt because it happened so quickly. We didn't just lose him for the second half as some thought, he wasn't there in the first either. Too bad to lose him.

Kai had a great night rebounding. He did an outstanding job of cleaning the glass and usually holding UMKC to one shot. Where he is on offense I have no idea. He pumped up two threes to start the game and then didn't do anything on offense after that. I wish he would drive to the lane and get some short jumpers in the paint because the guy guarding him wouldn't have been able to keep up. I hope he comes on strong in the second half of the season because without him, we are going to be fighting to stay out of the cellar and that is something none of us want. Also, he should have dunked the living hell out of that miss at the end, but he short armed it. I think he thought there was less time than there actually was. Hard to gauge the time in the heat of the moment like that and I feel bad for him, but I can only think we would have been able to pull it out in OT. Just a fan's empty wishes though.

Okay, that was just some of my observations. I cooled down a ton since I left Municipal Auditorium, which by the way, looks like a time warp back to the 50s. What a crappy place to watch a game. The atmosphere was like a bad semi-pro game. It was really strange. We really need a win on Saturday and I need to relax because I am still kind of wound up. No way we should have lost this game. UMKC is not a good team and we made them out to be much more than they were. I hope we can get that road win at SUU.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

we are just a game ahead of 4 teams for a last place tie and only a half game behind 3 teams to be in 3rd place. this is going to be a battle to the end. we have to win at home.

Comment

My thoughts from watching Summit TV:

Dale was limping badly after the game, I'd be surprised if he played Saturday. He will be missed, badly.

Kai rebounded like a beast last night, he looked like a man among boys. Sure he could have dunked the ball at the end of the game, but I agree with others assessment that he probably wanted to be sure to get the shot off before the buzzer. It was still really close to going down. The whole situation was eerily similar to Schantz (I think) missing his bunny at the end of the Metro State (I think) game several years ago.

On the charge/out of bounds: the charge could have been called either a blocking foul or a charge. The out of bounds was without a doubt out of bounds and should have been called.

The announcers (TV Station, not college kids) were very complimentary of many aspects of SDSU's game. Talked up Kai, Clint, Garrett, and AC ALOT. They were very knowledgeable and obviously did their homework before the game.

I am also starting to suspect that Coach Nagy is using reverse psychology with our players regarding their talent level. He keeps saying the guys don't have the talent to win, can't shoot, can't play defense, are undersized, aren't athletic, etc, but everywhere I watch and read these are the same things the media and coaches are complimenting us on. The tactic seems to be working with some success, so keep it up, I guess.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          My thoughts from watching Summit TV:

I am also starting to suspect that Coach Nagy is using reverse psychology with our players regarding their talent level. He keeps saying the guys don't have the talent to win, can't shoot, can't play defense, are undersized, aren't athletic, etc, but everywhere I watch and read these are the same things the media and coaches are complimenting us on. The tactic seems to be working with some success, so keep it up, I guess.
          How is it working?

Comment

From the KC Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/984164.html

UMKC defeats South Dakota State 69-67

By DAVID BOYCE

The Kansas City Star

UMKC snapped its five-game losing streak in heart-pounding fashion.
            With 2 seconds left, South Dakota State’s Kai Williams had an easy putback that could have tied the game.
            Instead, Williams’ layup rolled around the basket and out. It allowed UMKC to escape with a 69-67 victory Thursday at Municipal Auditorium.
            “This in a lot of ways was a big game for us,” said Dane Brumagin, who finished with a team-high 19 points. “We knew our time was coming, and one of these close ones was going to fall our way.” . . . (read more)

On to Southern Utah.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
              How is it working?
              Are you asking about Summit TV or the coaching tactic(my perception only, maybe coach really thinks his players are that bad)?

On Summit TV:

I've had pretty good luck for SDSU games so far...

I think I could have watched 3 out of something like 5 games on there last night. I wish if the game wasn't going to be available that they wouldn't list it on their schedule. Or put up an unnavailable or something. My guess is that it is totally automated on jumptv's end with each home school responsible for actually doing everything. It is also a bit irritating that you can only have one jumptv window open at a time, so you can't watch multiple games at once or listen to SDSU's play by play while watching home team's feed. I guess I have never tried opening multiple windows with different browsers, I'm kind of a mozilla kind of guy.

I'm sure I will have a game or two this season where I am ready to watch, only to hit play and the screen display "Ready". That really raises the blood pressure.

On the coaching tactic:

I'd say it has worked pretty well. The team is playing as well (and as hard) as it has for 5 years, albeit inconsistently.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
                How is it working?
                I think that question has an imminently clear answer

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  I am also starting to suspect that Coach Nagy is using reverse psychology with our players regarding their talent level. He keeps saying the guys don't have the talent to win, can't shoot, can't play defense, are undersized, aren't athletic, etc
                  I doubt Nagy is using the radio to motivate his players.

Also, I think there's a big distinction to be made between 'can't' and 'didn't'.

As in, 'we didn't play defense the way we know we should', etc....

Comment

I'm just going by the comments posted and I haven't seen the replay of the last shot. I would rather a player get the shot off than go up for a dunk and have it waved off because it didn't leave his hands in time. I'm sure Kai had a clock going in his head with how much time was left and wanted to make sure he got it off. What a monster night on the boards.
                    Last edited by bub94; 01-17-2009, 10:21 AM.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                    X