Interesting comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting comments

Oakland coach Greg Kampe had some interesting comments on South Dakota State's men's basketball team at http://pembertonpoint.blogspot.com

Re: Interesting comments

Originally posted by dp21 View Post
    Oakland coach Greg Kampe had some interesting comments on South Dakota State's men's basketball team at http://pembertonpoint.blogspot.com
    Kampe has a solid reputation, I know that much.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You can tell Nagy does a good job prepping his teams by looking at his stellar NCC record.

Nagy's teams, many years, were far better -in- the NCC than out of it, IMO.

Frankly, I think his skill at breaking down the way conference opponents play coupled with the kids' maturity could--as Kampe says--make them the scariest team in the Summit.

BTW: How's that for a well researched blog entry--I'm more impressed with the reporter's familiarity with the SDSU program than I am with Kampe's.

Although he did get the final score of the Iowa State game wrong....

Comment

Oakland fan checking in. I'm sure Dave Pemberton (the aforementioned sports writer/blogger) appreciates zooropa's praise, but the truth is that many Oakland fans are well aware of SDSU. Several of us read this board regularly (anonymously), and I for one agree with Kampe that Nagy seems to be a very good coach - especially given what he did at the D2 level. Some of the criticism of him on this forum seems to me a bit artificial and unrealistic, but I'm just an outsider looking in.

The Jacks looked very good in stretches against Minnesota, and the Iowa State win should give you a ton of confidence. On the other hand, I expected Kai Williams to develop into much more of a dominant player this year, and he's been kind of a mystery so far (especially in the Minnesota game). In any case, looking forward to a good game tomorrow.

Comment

Interesting tidbit, his mother's maiden name is also Holtz.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Germane View Post
            I expected Kai Williams to develop into much more of a dominant player this year, and he's been kind of a mystery so far (especially in the Minnesota game). In any case, looking forward to a good game tomorrow.
            My take on Kai is that he's not one to make something out of nothing, and the Jacks have been sitting on a lot of 'nothing' lately.

Cordova seems to be the firestarter as of late. Especially in the ISU game.

Comment

Pretty classy comments from an opposing Coach. You could say he is covering his own fanny in some regards but he no doubt has seen how our team can play and the record at D2 speaks for itself.

It definitely goes to show that people have a lot of respect for Nagy as a coach. The hallmark of Nagy's career has been his getting his teams to play very hard. They have consistently been a top rebounding team and a beast defensively. If they continue to improve they can be a scary team in the conference. If they are able to continue to raise the talent level over the years then the other teams know that SDSU will be a force again.

We've all been frustrated and want the same thing for this team. I'm just hoping that we can continue to see improvement the rest of the year. The men have got to have a lot of confidence coming off of the Iowa State game and it couldn't happen at a better time right before the break and the start of conference play. There are a lot of things to be excited about with the tournament in Sioux Falls this year.

Here's to the men getting another win tomorrow night!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Oakland fan checking in. I'm sure Dave Pemberton (the aforementioned sports writer/blogger) appreciates zooropa's praise, but the truth is that many Oakland fans are well aware of SDSU. Several of us read this board regularly (anonymously), and I for one agree with Kampe that Nagy seems to be a very good coach - especially given what he did at the D2 level. Some of the criticism of him on this forum seems to me a bit artificial and unrealistic, but I'm just an outsider looking in.

The Jacks looked very good in stretches against Minnesota, and the Iowa State win should give you a ton of confidence. On the other hand, I expected Kai Williams to develop into much more of a dominant player this year, and he's been kind of a mystery so far (especially in the Minnesota game). In any case, looking forward to a good game tomorrow.
                Whats the announcement about Nelson? Medical redshirt?

Comment

Another thing to understand about Kampe's comments is he's done what Nagy is trying to do--take a Division II program through reclassification, and into the NCAA tournament. He's been there, done that, has the scars.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                    Whats the announcement about Nelson? Medical redshirt?
                    He is redshirting. I went to the Oakland page(like gojacks) that is on the front page here and that's what it says.

Comment

Yep, Nelson is red-shirting. The absence of our leading returning scorer and rebounder has hurt us so far this season (we should have at least 1-2 more wins), but it has forced some of our freshmen to step up earlier than expected.

Also, Filbert has it right. I think Kampe has a ton of sympathy (and respect) for Nagy because he knows how tough the transition can be. The way NDSU has gone through the transition is not typical. I would bet that your program will be in good shape in the near future, and even this year you could be very dangerous.

Comment

Thanks for the info Germane, and welcome to our board! Nice to get some informative posts from our Summit league opponents.

Comment

Yep, Nelson is red-shirting. The absence of our leading returning scorer and rebounder has hurt us so far this season (we should have at least 1-2 more wins), but it has forced some of our freshmen to step up earlier than expected.

Also, Filbert has it right. I think Kampe has a ton of sympathy (and respect) for Nagy because he knows how tough the transition can be. The way NDSU has gone through the transition is not typical. I would bet that your program will be in good shape in the near future, and even this year you could be very dangerous.
                          Apparently Nelson played as a true freshman, as one of the big things noticiable to me in the transistion from D2 to D1 is the time frame for which students athletes have to complete their 4 years of eligibilty. Any one can help me out, here but I believe its 4 years in so many semsters. At the D2 level there seems to be a wider frame which probably has explained more D1 transfers to D2 than any other reason.

I thinking too that this will not be a problem for Nelson and Oakland getting the red shirt approved. If the NCAA does not approve, what will happen then?

I guess I would have to watch a video's of last years game, but this individual does not stick in my mind. No doubt he has talent when he is 100 per cent, and looks like the Jacks will have to deal with him again next year.

Comment

At the D-I level...you have 10 semesters (5 years) to complete your 4 years of athletic eligibilty. As soon as your enroll in college, the clock starts ticking.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              At the D-I level...you have 10 semesters (5 years) to complete your 4 years of athletic eligibilty. As soon as your enroll in college, the clock starts ticking.
                              Don't forget the 40-60-80 rule:

40% of degree work must be completed by the end of the 2nd year, 60% by the end of the third, and 80% by the end of the 4th.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...rs-cover_N.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X